Help required, restarting fishing after 20yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrissy Boy

I have returned to course fishing after about 20yrs and I am having no success.
I fish the Hampshire Avon with both the float and the ledger and I cannot get in to the fish. I usually fish maggot (mixed)on 14 - 18 hook, 1.5 lb hook length to 4lb main line. I have recently used sweet corn. I feed the swim when I arrive with some maggots and corn and then start to trot for about 30-40 yds on a 5BB float. I tend to fish the bank nearest me as I have trouble controlling the float over the far bank when the current starts to drag the line.

What I am doing wrong?

Do I need to use ground bait, of so what and how?
What do I need to look out for in the river?
What's the best techniques for this time of year?
What's the best bait and how do I feed during the session?
Ledgering and trotting techniques?

Oh and one final thing please keep the tips simple if at all possible.

I look forward to any assistance you may be able to give me.
Thanks
Chrissy Boy

matttttt

Try losing the corn and feed hemp seed and maggots every 5 or so trots and after every bite which ever comes first. Hope this helps.

Steve

Welcome Chrissy Boy.
It depends on a lot of things as to why you do not catch.
Here are a few.
Be carefull not to over loose feed at this time of year, they fill up pretty easy. If you do loose feed throw in a little at a time to keep them fighting for it and not as often as in the summer months.

Choose a spot on the far bank with some over hanging cover if possible, try using a small closed maggot feeder then there is no need to loose feed.

Keep a low profile, you will stick out like a sore thumb if you are fishing the far bank.

If you don't get a bite in about half an hour, move to another swim or at least try another bait.

If you want to use a float try changing the depth chubb very often feed near the top, especially under cover. Throw in an occasional floating bit of crust, they still take it off the top in the winter.

Keep trying different things and ask advice from a few locals.

Best advice of all, keep visiting maggot drowners.

Fishermen have more fun than people do!

Steve

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've just posted a link to this thread on another site i post on, the people on there are all good ones & i know a few of them fish the hamps avon regularly.

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

fishing_mad

why not try a bit of brown crumb in a small feeder with maggots it'll pull in the odd fish

[:)]Fishing Mad[:)]

Beebs

Hi Chrissy. What's the Avon been like lately? I fished the Royalty the other week and apart from the Parlour Pool it was so flooded as to be unfishable and even that was miles higher than usual. The river was all over the surrounding fields and ripping through incredibly quickly.

I know that the Avon hasn't fished that well this year, pike have not been coming out and we fished The Severals last year and caught nowt between 3 of us in spite of perfect conditions and a lot of hard work. It just seems that it's not been a great year for that stretch of river.

scouse

'River Man'
hi cris
first of all when stick float
fishing your line must float (i use vasaline)
and always make sure your bait is in front of your float,
if you have trouble controling your float
on the far bank let a small loop
form in your line that will keep your foat
on the far bank, practise makes perfect
hope this helps if you want any more info
email me[:D]

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Chris and welcome onboard [:)]

If using a stickfloat also make sure your shotting is well balanced. You need to shot the line so that the weight is just enough to keep the bait down.
I generally use number six shot spread evenly down the line. If the flow is very fast double the no6's up and what you are aiming for is to have enough weight beneath the float so that when you correct your line you do not pull the float away from it's swim. The further away you cast, the more weight/heavier float you need to use.

If the shot/float is well balanced to the current you will also find that when you trap the line you can 'lift' the bait from the bottom with the current. This works great for seeking out fish like chub when the going is hard

Stickfloats are excellent to use and can give some brilliant results if set up/balanced correctly

Dave

Ian C

Hi Chrissy,

A suggestion if I may [:)]...

Leave your tackle at home and spend some time walking the river. If you come across someone fishing and catching, stop and watch them. Try to figure out what they are doing different (if anything) and watch they way they introduce feed, how often and how much.

I'm sure one/some of the Maggot Drowners who live's near you and fishes the same stretch of river would jump at the chance to go along with you on one of your sessions, so, do a post in the Going Fishing forum and see if anyone wants to go along [;)]
Good luck matey.

Ian C

Chrissy Boy

Well thanks for all the help I shall try all those theories out and let you know how I get on. I'm off this weekend.

The river is dropping and now leaving the fields but if it rains again..........!

Thanks and good luck
Chrissy Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.