Help Required please!

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Afternoon all.

Is anybody going to Bobco over the next few days?
Just sold my Acolyte as i never used it, looking to get another 12/13ft float rod for silvers and considering the Shakespeare Agility 2 lite. The rod will only get used about dozen times a year so not looking to spend a lot.
Would someone have a look and waggle and let me know what they think, finish, lightness of blank and if its a slim blank.

Appreciate this is not the normal way of purchasing rods but as we have a good community thought i would ask for a bit of help.

They look good value at £60.

Thanks in advance.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I bought a 16' Match one. I think you are probably looking at the Match 'Lite' in 12-13' length. The one I bought is rated to 8lb line and quite a heavy rod at 16'. I think @Silverfisher has waggled the shorter Lite ones and recommends them. Mine is for Chub fishing rather than silvers as I found the Acolyte too light for Chub.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
I bought a 16' Match one. I think you are probably looking at the Match 'Lite' in 12-13' length. The one I bought is rated to 8lb line and quite a heavy rod at 16'. I think @Silverfisher has waggled the shorter Lite ones and recommends them. Mine is for Chub fishing rather than silvers as I found the Acolyte too light for Chub.
Thanks for the reply, purchased the 13ft lite. Moving next to Tamar so wanted it for waggler fishing for Roach and Skimmers.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Hopefully you're happy with your purchase. I don't know that rod so can't comment but I'm pleased with the rod I bought as I was surprised how heavy (action wise) it was, perfect for big Chub. I expect the Lite would be lighter as the name suggests but I don't know. I will say the finish is glossy and maybe not to everyone's taste but the rod itself I was pleased with for the price.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah whilst I’m not sure it feels quite good enough to justify its original RRP it’s by far the best float rod I’ve ever ever waggled under the £100 mark and is a steal at under £70. Wasn’t half annoyed when I stumbled across one just after I got my dad a Preston Tyson for the same price as whilst that is very good for money the lite is considerably better.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Update,
Rod arrived today, must say very disappointed in the quality of the rod, middle section is bent like a banana and the eyes are out of alignment and twisted, really poor quality rod in my opinion, wont be seeing the bank, going back to sender. maybe i have been unlucky on this occasion. :(

Pyffy

Site Supporter
Hi Hitman, I have also take the plunge over this weekend and ordered one of these 13ft Shakespeare Agility 2 lite rods as I was hoping it would fill a small niche in my rod armoury for silvers on our local back water. When mine arrives later this week I will have to give it a very good look over and let you know if yours was a "one off" or not.

david white

Site Supporter
Update,
Rod arrived today, must say very disappointed in the quality of the rod, middle section is bent like a banana and the eyes are out of alignment and twisted, really poor quality rod in my opinion, wont be seeing the bank, going back to sender. maybe i have been unlucky on this occasion. :(
Whether it’s a one off or not is irrelevant get it sent back ASAP contact the seller asking for an equivalent replacement and a refund for your return postage
It doesn’t matter 1 iota what or how other customers view any seller it’s the condition of what you brought that is the bone of contention,

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Whether it’s a one off or not is irrelevant get it sent back ASAP contact the seller asking for an equivalent replacement and a refund for your return postage
It doesn’t matter 1 iota what or how other customers view any seller it’s the condition of what you brought that is the bone of contention,
100% just waiting on response from the shop, also told them i expect them to cover return postage. See what happens.

nejohn

Site Supporter
If it was bought from Bobco you should be OK with returning it, I had a rod break first time I cast with it, rang them up and they sent a courier the next day to collect the rod and had it replaced with something else with no problems and a t no extra cost to me. I think Shakespeare have some quality control issues as it was the same with the Mach 3XT rods and reels you could get a good one and it was fine or you could be unlucky and get a bad one. I had one of the reels and it was horrible but my friend had an identical one and it was fine, I also had the Mach 3XT 13ft light and I thought it was not great the action was not good, it was not only a heavy rod but it was also tip heavy which didn't help at all, I used it a couple of times and gave it away luckily like the reel I got it when fat ashley was knocking them out for not a lot of cash so didn't pay much for them. If I had paid full rrp for either of them I would have been wanting my money back, they were the last large items of tackle I bought entirely on peoples recommendations mainly from on here .....lesson learned take on board the recommendations but try for yourself before you buy

Pyffy

Site Supporter
Just an update on the Agility rod. It arrived at work today and so far I have put it together and given it a little waggle and it seems o.k. for a rod without a reel on it to balance. The blank is light and pencil thin, all eyes line up and rod is perfectly straight. Come the weekend I will pop a reel on and set it up with a few AA's and have a little cast around in the garden. So far perfectly happy with the rod and looking forward to giving it a try out once restrictions have been lifted.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
If it was bought from Bobco you should be OK with returning it, I had a rod break first time I cast with it, rang them up and they sent a courier the next day to collect the rod and had it replaced with something else with no problems and a t no extra cost to me. I think Shakespeare have some quality control issues as it was the same with the Mach 3XT rods and reels you could get a good one and it was fine or you could be unlucky and get a bad one. I had one of the reels and it was horrible but my friend had an identical one and it was fine, I also had the Mach 3XT 13ft light and I thought it was not great the action was not good, it was not only a heavy rod but it was also tip heavy which didn't help at all, I used it a couple of times and gave it away luckily like the reel I got it when fat ashley was knocking them out for not a lot of cash so didn't pay much for them. If I had paid full rrp for either of them I would have been wanting my money back, they were the last large items of tackle I bought entirely on peoples recommendations mainly from on here .....lesson learned take on board the recommendations but try for yourself before you buy
Bobco are collecting tomorrow, sent the pictures over and happy to give me a full refund. Very rarely purchase rods online, won't be doing it again. Shame but can't moan about there aftersales service.