Help please - New to fishing and need some advice!

Tristar

Personally if you can buy a well balanced rod a little longer with a good tip action (the tip is like the shock absorber on a car) then go for it. If you are new you may tend to lean forward to get to a spot you want, can get wet that way lol. A slightly longer rod a simple under arm flick will get to the spot you want, lily pads, features etc without having to overhead cast.

If you are in the Northwest I would meet up with you. I don't want to cause arguments but please be aware of cheap fishing tackle deals on the t'interent, my son came to my house really pleased with what he got, a 10ft float/feeder combo, reel with 6lb line on reel. He was buzzing he spent only £20. The rod was bending in the wind, the line was like washing line and when we did hook a huge 1lb hybrid it was embarrassing. Dianne Abbot had more backbone and power. Also the landing net was not Carp friendly due to the size of holes. Carp have a spike at the front of their Dorsal fin that can get caught.

Best of luck with our great hobby and all the best, nice to see people are getting on fishing boxes and not Xboxes. Angling in my opinion is not about catching fish, it's about getting outside, watching the wildlife, seeing a kingfisher, chatting to joggers, dog walkers and absorbing the surroundings and above all getting away from stress of daily life including the wife.

Going to upset bait companies now but if you are new and depending on what you can spend, no matter where you fishing you can have a great day on a few slices of bread used as punch, a few garden worms, a tin of sweetcorn (put into a baitbox, please don't take tins on to the venue) and small/medium pieces of luncheon meat.

I said earlier about a disgorger is a must, landing net, rod licence and barbless hooks are essential.

Great to see another person joining our great fishing community. All the best!

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Another starter item which popped into my head, a couple of bank sticks. Extendable types are probably best. A butt rest for the back one and match rest for the front. Dinsmores kit works fine and don't cost a lot. You could get away with one if you wanted but I like to have two for if I'm adjusting stuff mid session, or unhooking a fish. Don't want your new rod and reel in the mud.

solwood

Site Supporter
I actually bought a pair of the Combos when they were BOGOF

At 35 they were a bargain at 70 much less so

Firstly the reel only comes with spool in a combo.

The 13ft rod is not well balanced the 10ft is better

Given that you can buy the reels for 2 for 50 including 2 spare spools at the moment I would consider that and a different rod as suggested above

new2fishing

Thank you for all your advice and kind words everyone, its been very much appreciated! I have decided to dodge the rod and reel combos and put together my own set to ensure quality. Rod wise i am stuck between the following...any suggestions welcome...

Davethefish

Once you've got into this wonderful sport you will find that there isn't a rod that covers it all but from the type of waters you describe that you will be fishing I would think that an 11ft pellet waggler rod would probably cover most of your float fishing needs. They usually have quite forgiving tips so not too many bump offs with smaller fish whilst retaining a bit of backbone to deal with the inevitable Carp that will turn up on the commercials. They will also cover float fishing ( and a bit of light feeder fishing ) on your small streams . There are a lot of decent bargains to be had second hand as well so don't be reluctant to look there either. Drennan rarely make a bad rod and I've heard some nice comments about their Red Range which would come in to your budget range or a second hand series 7 ( no longer made ). If there's anything you're considering feel free to PM me as it is easy when starting out to buy a lot of tat which you will rarely use. Get a decent basic set up, master ( I use the term loosely :) ) the basics of one discipline ( i.e float fishing ) and then move on from there, adding as you go. I don't know if you have access to a vehicle but there are a lot of suitable waters not far from you ( i.e just up the A10 to Waltham Abbey ) which will get you plenty of bites as you build up your skills.