Help please - New to fishing and need some advice!

new2fishing

Hi,

I am completely new to fishing and i am looking to buy a float/match rod. I have the fantastic looking cadence match combo in mind at £70. I didn't want to go so cheap as to suffer from a poor rod/reel but also don't want to spend a fortune.

My questions is would you recommend a 10ft or 13ft rod for a newbie? I will be float fishing on commercial lakes, local smaller lakes and streams. My other question would be what mono line is recommended?

any and all advice is welcome and i thank you in advance!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Maver sell a decent little float or feeder set up if thats something that interests you ? Have a look on their website. Dont forget a rod license will you pal ? 👍

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Hi,

I am completely new to fishing and i am looking to buy a float/match rod. I have the fantastic looking cadence match combo in mind at £70. I didn't want to go so cheap as to suffer from a poor rod/reel but also don't want to spend a fortune.

My questions is would you recommend a 10ft or 13ft rod for a newbie? I will be float fishing on commercial lakes, local smaller lakes and streams. My other question would be what mono line is recommended?

any and all advice is welcome and i thank you in advance!

Line wise you can't go wrong with maxima chameleon. They do a "one shot" spool, which is designed to fill a reel without you having to join two 100m spools together.

Worth reading about how to fill a spool before you do so, as if done wrong, you'll get a lot of twist which is annoying and causes tangles.

You'll get loads of good advice on here. Enjoy your fishing journey :)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
For small lakes, commercials and streams you won't go far wrong with a 10ft float rod ...

CarpCatcher86

12 or 13ft match or float rods are so well made and well balanced these days that pretty much anyone can comfortably handle/use one, even kids. Which is why it makes me laugh when you see guys fishing with kids using a 6ft rod on the basis that it will be easier for them to handle. You can get away with a budget rod but make sure you at least get a decent reel, preferably one with a hand full of ball bearings and a good smooth reliable drag.

new2fishing

Maver sell a decent little float or feeder set up if thats something that interests you ? Have a look on their website. Dont forget a rod license will you pal ? 👍
I have been looking at that but i just wasn't sure if 10ft was too short? I was also keen on the cadence combo as it has a much better reel and also allows for pellet waggler fishing etc. But again i could be wrong! The license will be purchased as soon as i know i am ready to go :)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I have been looking at that but i just wasn't sure if 10ft was too short? I was also keen on the cadence combo as it has a much better reel and also allows for pellet waggler fishing etc. But again i could be wrong! The license will be purchased as soon as i know i am ready to go :)
Yeah, I wasnt having a pop its just that a few new comers dont realise they need a rod license. Nice to know youre taking up the sport. Shame you are so far away Id have a few hours with you. ..👍

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I see from your profile that you're London based. Whereabouts in that city or greater part are you?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
10 or 11 foot is a handy size of rod, and will cover most eventualities. However, to some degree, it also depends on the type of float fishing you are going to do.

If you're mainly going to waggler fish after Carp the Maver will do you fine. If on the other hand you are going to fish with more finesse for silvers you would be better with a slightly longer road and more of a tip action

new2fishing

12 or 13ft match or float rods are so well made and well balanced these days that pretty much anyone can comfortably handle/use one, even kids. Which is why it makes me laugh when you see guys fishing with kids using a 6ft rod on the basis that it will be easier for them to handle. You can get away with a budget rod but make sure you at least get a decent reel, preferably one with a hand full of ball bearings and a good smooth reliable drag.
Yeah i thought as much but just unsure whether i need the extra 3ft for where i am going to be fishing. The maver set has a reel with 4+1 ball bearings and the cadence combo reel has 8 so that wins that round but the maver kit is ready to go and comes with

• 10′ float rod
  • 3000 front drag reel
  • Tackle box
  • Wagglers
  • Shot & plummet
  • Hooks to nylon
  • Cloth rod bag
  • Disgorger

new2fishing

Yeah, I wasnt having a pop its just that a few new comers dont realise they need a rod license. Nice to know youre taking up the sport. Shame you are so far away Id have a few hours with you. ..👍
oh no its fine, i didn't think you were having a pop! I know a lot of people forget to buy the license so totally agree.

new2fishing

Line wise you can't go wrong with maxima chameleon. They do a "one shot" spool, which is designed to fill a reel without you having to join two 100m spools together.

Worth reading about how to fill a spool before you do so, as if done wrong, you'll get a lot of twist which is annoying and causes tangles.

You'll get loads of good advice on here. Enjoy your fishing journey :)
Thank you, thats very helpful to know. Yeah this site is proving very helpful already so i am glad i joined :)

CarpCatcher86

Yeah i thought as much but just unsure whether i need the extra 3ft for where i am going to be fishing. The maver set has a reel with 4+1 ball bearings and the cadence combo reel has 8 so that wins that round but the maver kit is ready to go and comes with

• 10′ float rod
  • 3000 front drag reel
  • Tackle box
  • Wagglers
  • Shot & plummet
  • Hooks to nylon
  • Cloth rod bag
  • Disgorger
Not a bad starter kit by the sound of it. Personally I have always used 11 or 12ft float rods, but a 10ft rod will be more than enough. Usually longer rods are easier and smoother to cast and also have a bit more back bone for casting longer distances and handling bigger fish.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
11ft is about the sweet spot for me for commercials, short enough to be useful in tight swims and being a foot longer than a 10ft covers more options.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Unless you are certain you'll only be fishing small shallow waters I'd go 12 or 13 foot just to give yourself more versatility. If not you'll just be buying another new rod before long :)

Gaz9243

Site Supporter
It will cost slightly more than the starter kit, but why not get the cadence reel (bogof offer so you’ll get 2) and a Maver waggler rod. With all the added bits you need, you’d be looking around £90-£100

Tristar

I second that, a disgorger is the most important piece of equipment. Rod licence the next, can be pretty expensive if caught without it.