Help on Wheat

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisd

I have been experimenting with wheat without much success, does anyone out there have any advice or had any joy with this bait. Is wheat a purely seasonal bait, does it take time to get fish onto it ( pre baiting?). Does it need to presented in a particular way and is it worth the bother? I have been told by reliable sources that it can work magic. I am really keen to here anyones views especially if they have had success with it.
Thanks
Chris

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Chris
Many years ago an old boy showed me how to use stewed wheat for bream on the River Bure at Horning.He told me that he prepared it like hemp,but he used to use more water as it swelled up more.Evidently he used to bait up the swim every night with about a pint of it.On his instruction i tackled up a waggler with a size 10 hook and 3 grains of wheat as bait and had 25 bream in 25 casts, as soon as i tried maggot not a bite.
I've tried it a few times since with mixed results,the best of which is where i have been able to prebait with it for a couple of weeks on a club lake,after which i managed to take some amazing bags of tench.the only thing that i altered was that i added some green lipped mussel flavouring to the water i boiled the wheat in.
It definatly is an underrated bait but i don't feel that it is an "instant" bait,in that the fish have to get used to it,which probably explains why you don't see it used much.If you put a bit of effort in though i'm sure it would work on most waters,after all it's just another "particle" bait.
Hope this gives you some food for thought,
Cheers,
Peter

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

chrisd

Pete
Yeah agree, I'm sure it's a bait that you have to acclimatize the fish too and I shall persevere with it. Any startling results I shall let you know
Thanks
Chris

MALC

When ever i cook my Hemp i always put a hand full of wheat in with it.
Normaly 1 hand full of wheat to 2 pints of hemp, i've found that by slipping the wheat on the hook every so often results in bigger Roach,Bream,Chub,Dace,Tench and even carp.
Its something i've been doing for years no matter what the venue be it River,Lake or Canal if i'm useing hemp i'll always have the odd put in on the wheat. The bonus fish its accounted for has won me the odd match over the years and some of the comments when others ask what you caught it on is quite funny cause you can tell they dont believe you.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Malc,
"and some of the comments when others ask what you caught it on is quite funny cause you can tell they dont believe you."
One old boy sat behind me watching me catch a tench a chuck for two hours,as i was packing up he asked me what bait i had been using.When i told him and offered to let him have some he called me A Lying B*****d and stomped off muttering to himself.
Oh Well,
Peter

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

chrisd

Malc , this is a method I have adopted into my loosefeeding for the last year now at particular venues. I feel extremely confident that eventually it will pay dividends. Thanks for the supportive advise
Chris d
PS Pete you have to accept that a lot of people have fixed ideas and wont experiment in any way, it requires patience and peseverance, thankfully some of us will which is basically why the human race is still here as a species, the old git owes you more than he could imagine really.

Status
Not open for further replies.