Help on starting pole fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjones

I have never tried pole fishing before and want to start. I was wondering what gear i would need to start pole fishing for carp and how much i should spend.

Foul ducker

Ideally you could do with going fishing with someone with pole experience (no not that kind [;)] ) and have a chance to handle one and see for yourself what you need
generally you get what you pay for and it's better to get a quality 11m pole than a cheap nasty 13m one
As for elastics generally up to size 6 for silvers up to 12 for open water carp and bigger for carp in snaggy swims
I'd stick to ready made rigs such as the preston or maver to start with 0.12 up to 6 elastic, up to 0.16 size 12 elastic and higher for bigger elastics then a pole roller, plummet and your pretty much there with kit you already have [:T]
Everybody has there own ways of fishing pole and advice will differ your own experience will tell you which way to go and I'm sure I've only scratch the surface on what is a highly enjoyable way to fish

Hatchye

Good advice, definately have a try with someone that reallyknows what they are doing. Unless you're loaded I would suggest looking at 2nd hand poles if you choose to buy one, you can generally get a decent 2nd hand pole for decent money just after Xmas if you lokk hard enough on here![:T]

Do a search in tackle talk, there's a pole buying guide in there that woud be worth reading. Also bear in ind that you'll need to buy decent rollers (probably 2) to look after your pole when shipping back. pole rig winders and floats elastics and bungs etc. It's worth writing all the stuff down, as it can soon bump the overall cost up if you're not careful....[:0]

Status
Not open for further replies.