help on carp fising

Status
Not open for further replies.

flounder

I have just started carp fishing in a small private pond which is packed full of carp to 30lb.I have been told that method feeder fishing with a bite alarm is best by one of the locals,and quivertiping is the best by a different local.I'M STUCK!!!!
Any help at all would be most useful.
thanks

bob

bart4real

Hi,
Those methods are reliable ones but it is not so much what you fish but where you fish. Carp tend to shoal tightly when it gets cold but during mild spells they tend to be more active. I find it is better to walk around the pool with nothing more than a rod with an Arseley bomb on it and cast around to see where the fish are. You will get liners as soon as you find the shoal. Alternatively, look for likely areas where the fish may be, like the North East corner of the pool where South westerly winds have been blowing. Carp tend to move towards the center of the lake when it is very cold and are often shoaled up anywhere from mid-water or just off bottom. Even if you fish in the right area, carp will not always feed until later. If the water is sheltered from strong winds then the waggler is the best method for catching carp, especially when it is flat calm. A few pints of maggots and a small tin of sweetcorn should be enough bait to last the session. The good thing about the waggler is that it allows you to fish off the bottom if you are getting too many liners. Carp can be caught at half depth in cold weather.
I hope this helps

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi flounder,

Some good advice there from bart.

If you are going to fish the method though you can use either a buzzer setup or a quivertip but ensure that you use strong tackle.

I personally prefer to use buzzers if pleasure fishing with a method feeder, with a 2 rod set up. Use 12lb BS line minimum and a couple of strong rods either heavy feeder or carp types.
If on a match or where you are limited to one rod use the quiver.

There are 3 important things to remember though when using the method:

• Firstly, ignore knocks, small drop-backs and twitches as these will be from the fish nudging the groundbait to break the ball down. Strike when you get a good, firm indication. Either a drop back or solid pull
  • Secondly, keep the hooklength to a maximum of 6 inches. Any longer you will find that there is a very high risk of deep hooking a fish as it carries on feeding after taking the hookbait.
  • Thirdly, and most importantly, don't be tempted to use the feeder in a 'fixed' position. Ensure the feeder can slide up the line. If you have the ones with the elastic on, cut the elastic off and put your main line through the link swivel at the top. Put a bead on the line then tie on another swivel. Tie your hooklength to this. Ensure that the bead slides over the knot and stops at the hooklength swivel.
    You won't miss bites but if you do snag and break-off you won't leave the fish towing the feeder

Until you get used to it, just use the one rod and hold on

Dave

flounder

thank you bart4real and dave for your help. I will use it next time i go fishing

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.