HELP NEEDED

Dazfish12

Good Morning

I am thinking of getting a new pole. But do I need one.

The pole I am using now is a MAP 401 G2. I have never used it pass 12meters ,is it still responsive at 13 to 14.5 , also is it straight . I do enter matches , but only with my local club , home and away. Is it worth the expense of buying a new 16m pole or stick with what I have got . 🎄

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

OldTaff

Site Supporter
If you have a pole that is working for you and you don’t fish @ 16m why go the expense of buying a 16m pole ?

Unless you are bored of your pole and fancy retiring it to sunny Kent then I’ll back you all the way ;) :D

davylad

I had a 501 a few years back, and at 11 or 12 metres it was no better than your 401. I would keep it, unless Like Taff says, you fancy a change and money is no problem.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
The pole you’ve got is a really nice one. I can’t see any benefit in buying a 16m pole If you don’t need one. Even if you spend a lot more money there isn’t really a pole which isn’t hard work at 16m. I had a 16m pole and I never used it beyond 13m.

Dazfish12

The pole you’ve got is a really nice one. I can’t see any benefit in buying a 16m pole If you don’t need one. Even if you spend a lot more money there isn’t really a pole which isn’t hard work at 16m. I had a 16m pole and I never used it beyond 13m.
Ok thanks for the advice. 🎄👍🏻

JLK

There was a post on here's few years ago suggesting that the 401 was actually the same pole as the 501 but with one less section. (It was originally sold as a 14.5m pole). Wouldn't surprise me as I was under the impression those two models were made on the same mandrel.

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
My last 2 poles have been 16m, but I still haven't had the 14.5m sections on them! I don't know why I bothered. I use the 14.5m and 16m sections to keep top list it, so they do have a use.

lp1886

It sounds to me that you don’t ‘need’ a new pole, but if you want one and can afford it then treat yourself 👍🏻 Just don’t tell anyone if your kids have free school meals, or it’s money from a self-employed government grant 😂

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If I have to fish beyond 13m for any length of time the rods come out :)