Help needed either Acolyte Commercial 12' feeder rod or Acolyte Ultra 12' feeder rod?

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
So in layman’s terms which is the more powerful. The answer might well influence my purchase decision, in the 10 ft versions.
Commercial has a stiffer butt so is more powerful in that part (softer top section). It's deliberately designed as such so that when you get a carp in netting range and want to get it's head up and keep it up so you can scoop it the butt doesn't just keep bending. It will bend though but just takes more force to do so.

Dropon

Commercial has a stiffer butt so is more powerful in that part (softer top section). It's deliberately designed as such so that when you get a carp in netting range and want to get it's head up and keep it up so you can scoop it the butt doesn't just keep bending. It will bend though but just takes more force to do so.
Thanks for your comprehensive answer, much appreciated.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
Yeah is surprising that although I think it may come with an ounce tip these days or if not you can certainly get one for it. Doesn’t really effect me as 99% of the time mines used on rivers where the 1.5m Oz tip is fine as there’s only so delicate a bite can be in running water.
Yes I've noticed that Drennan now supply three tips starting at 1oz for the Ultra which I think is an improvement.

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
9ft & 10ft have always had 1oz tips. Longer rods started at 1 1/2oz and then 2oz as the theory is you'll be casting further and these tips blend with the blanks better. Everything was graded.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
I have to say that I was a great Red Range feeder fan at 9 - 10ft for small to medium carp. Not so much an Acolyte feeder one sadly, though I do love my 13ft Ultra float rod

Dropon

9ft & 10ft have always had 1oz tips. Longer rods started at 1 1/2oz and then 2oz as the theory is you'll be casting further and these tips blend with the blanks better. Everything was graded.
The commercial feeder rod tips are graded differently, any appropriate oz comparisons?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That makes perfect sense tbf. Still think adding the ounce tip the ultra is a good decision though for like those that do Stillwater silvers feeder fishing. Thought of buying an ounce tip for mine but tbh on flowing water the ounce and a half tips show up anything.

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
The commercial feeder rod tips are graded differently, any appropriate oz comparisons?
To be honest I am not actually sure as I didn't spec the final tips. But Alan wanted very soft/soft tips because of liners and I would guess at 1oz up. They are shorter though.

Dropon

To be honest I am not actually sure as I didn't spec the final tips. But Alan wanted very soft/soft tips because of liners and I would guess at 1oz up. They are shorter though.
Thanks for that , looks like the 10 ft commercial will be the one I go for. Thanks for your help.