Help needed either Acolyte Commercial 12' feeder rod or Acolyte Ultra 12' feeder rod?

beechy

Hi All, I am after some advice from you knowledgeable anglers. I have decided to treat myself to a new feeder rod and I fancy one of the Acolyte rods, I want it to be 12' also I will be using it on the River Lea and at commercials to fish bomb and method. Looking at the specs of the two rods the commercial comes with X-soft, soft & med tips where as the Ultra has 2, 3 & 4oz tips, also main lines are vey similar from 4lb to 8lb for Commercial rod and to 6lb for Ultra. So come on fisher people help me out and tell me what you think.

Cheers Beechy (Paul)

Reuben

Site Supporter
I’d go for the Commercial, myself, or the Acolyte Plus. I‘ve the 11ft Acolyte Plus & it covers all my Stillwater needs from skimmers to big bream & carp. I don’t fish the method, though.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I wouldn’t use the ultra for commercials if targeting carp. The line guide is a pretty good indication of the size fish it can take as well with anything much over 6lb getting a bit lively on them. I’ve never seen the commercial one tbh. Probably worth looking at the plus though as maybe a good in between option.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
I also think that including the Acolyte Plus rod in your selection criteria will give you better options. I had a look at the new commercial feeder in my tackle shop last week. Definitely a more powerful version of the Plus but I think designed specifically for commercial waters. The ultra has a lovely almost parabolic action while the plus is a stepped up version of that with a nice through action and a heavier line diameter tolerance to get harder fighting fish more quickly to the net

Dropon

i have a 12 ft Acolyte plus I am willing to sell, excellent condition. 3 tips , no damage ,little use £110 , collect from NG2 area or buyer arrange collection.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I've got the 12' Ultra and it's a lovely bream rod and although I've no doubt it would cope with most commercial carp it's not really designed to do so.

I had a waggle with the 12' Plus when I bought the Ultra and wasn't overly impressed with the action - I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with it - it just didn't feel 'right' Might feel fine to somebody else, rods are a very subjective thing.

I've not seen the commercial version but I suspect it'll be a bit softer than the Ultra or the Plus.
Possibly not ideal for river fishing although I've no idea what the River Lea looks like - to be honest I'm not even sure where it is :p

Simon

Dropon

I've got the 12' Ultra and it's a lovely bream rod and although I've no doubt it would cope with most commercial carp it's not really designed to do so.

I had a waggle with the 12' Plus when I bought the Ultra and wasn't overly impressed with the action - I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with it - it just didn't feel 'right' Might feel fine to somebody else, rods are a very subjective thing.

I've not seen the commercial version but I suspect it'll be a bit softer than the Ultra or the Plus.
Possibly not ideal for river fishing although I've no idea what the River Lea looks like - to be honest I'm not even sure where it is :p

Simon
I thought the Drennan commercial feeder rods were a bit more powerful than the Acolyte plus version.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I presume they are - the softer action just means - as with most commercial rods - that they bend a bit more.
Helps to absorb those last minute lunges.

Simon

Cobweb

Site Supporter
not familiar with your Izaak Walton then Simon?
I think we could all do with a sweetening of our tempers from reading his offering even if he was a royalist. Was he reincarnated as John Wilson, or perhaps JR Hartley do you think?

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Hi All, I am after some advice from you knowledgeable anglers. I have decided to treat myself to a new feeder rod and I fancy one of the Acolyte rods, I want it to be 12' also I will be using it on the River Lea and at commercials to fish bomb and method. Looking at the specs of the two rods the commercial comes with X-soft, soft & med tips where as the Ultra has 2, 3 & 4oz tips, also main lines are vey similar from 4lb to 8lb for Commercial rod and to 6lb for Ultra. So come on fisher people help me out and tell me what you think.

Cheers Beechy (Paul)
I'm guessing that you will need bait that will attract species reared on Guinness discharges?
Bear in mind that the Ultra rod mainline spec is not compatible with method feeder tactics where a minimum b/s of around 8lb is recommended. As an allrounder and a rod with higher mainline specs the Plus I would suggest is your better option. Drennan's new commercial range are targeting anglers who frequent match lakes rather than rivers

Reuben

Site Supporter
The Accy 11ft Plus has a parabolic action. I’ve used mine on stillwaters for bream up to 8lb & commercials for carp up to low doubles & it’s coped admirably with both. I’ve not used it on rivers although I would if there was a river up here to use it on. I’d probably go for a 12 or 13 ft job though.
I’ve never seen the Accy Commercial so can’t comment on that.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'm guessing that you will need bait that will attract species reared on Guinness discharges?
Bear in mind that the Ultra rod mainline spec is not compatible with method feeder tactics where a minimum b/s of around 8lb is recommended. As an allrounder and a rod with higher mainline specs the Plus I would suggest is your better option.
It’s not so much the method more the fish and feeder in question. Caught a few pretty big bream on method feeders on my ultra just use relatively small feeders in the 20-30g range.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I think the Ultra is ideal for that sort of fishing and is referred to in my local tackle shop as a bream rod, when compared to the Plus. In terms of using a method feeder on that rod, with the b/s limitations advertised by Drennan for mainline on the Ultra, I would say that you may need to be wary of the cumulative abrasive effects of in line feeders. Most top anglers initially advised a minimum of 8lb if using in line feeders (or a shock leader) some 10lb from the videos I watched on method feeding. I've mostly stuck to that and everything has been fine. 20g in line feeders may be ok, I'm unsure, but anything much heavier would, I agree, be risky
Drennan tend to be pretty precise with their recommendations but my guess is that they set the parameters for their rods based on their own line specs. I think the only criticism I had of the Ultra was that (when I looked at it) the most sensitive default tip supplied with it at 1.5oz was imo, too heavy to pick up shy bites

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
. I think the only criticism I had of the Ultra was that (when I looked at it) the most sensitive default tip supplied with it at 1.5oz was imo, too heavy to pick up shy bites
Yeah is surprising that although I think it may come with an ounce tip these days or if not you can certainly get one for it. Doesn’t really effect me as 99% of the time mines used on rivers where the 1.5m Oz tip is fine as there’s only so delicate a bite can be in running water.