Help! My poles stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terri

Help please.....

I went for fishing this morning like you do for a few hours. When I came to tackle down my 3rd and 4th sections of my pole are well and truly stuck. Ive tried twisting but I'm afraid of snapping it and two of us tried pulling it apart and still stuck.
Any ideas?????

Thanks, Terri

Tony

Terri,

Try this:

Three people, one holding section 3, one holding section 4, one holding a kettle of hot water.
As one and two pull (not twist) the sections apart, the third pours hot water on the joint.

It worked for mr once, Tony

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
try this with two people.one holding section 3 and the other section 4.instead of hot water just try tapping on the joint twisting slightly as you tap..After a while they become seperated.I think it dislodges whats causing the stickiness.Give a good clean once seperated.

ada

brummie
take it to your local dealer and they will put it in a large bait fridge overnight it will free instantly

Terri

Thanks Tony, Keith and Ada, its free at last. It had me worried. I didnt try the hot water as I was afraid it might damage the sections as I didnt know how hot is hot and the pulling and tapping wouldnt budge it but yippee working on the fridge idea (dont laugh now)I wrapped a bag of frozen peas around the joint for 1/2 hour and hey presto a couple of slight tugs and apart it came. The culprit was muck in the joint

A good clean of all my joints is booked in for tonight.
Is there anything i should put on them once clean?

Thanks everyone - Terri

scouse

'River Man'
HI TERRI
WHY NOT TRY GETTING SOME SECTION BUNGS
IT STOPS GRIT AND SOIL GOING DOWN YOUR
POLE SECTIONS AND ON THE LAST SECTION BUY A SKID BUNG
TO SAVE SECTION GETTING DAMAGED
HOPE THIS HELPS DAVE(SCOUSE)

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Hi to help stop this problem and to lubricate the joint to help stop wear. Rub the male section with an ordinary candle ensure its fully covered then polish off with a duster. I do this annually with all my rods. John

bart4real

Terri,
Forget the hot water and freezing the sections because carbon crystalises. You do need three people to get it unstuck but this is the only way you are ever going to get it apart: One person holding each section and the third person rotating the pole in either clockwise or anti clockwise directions where the joints meet. Try this for about five minutes at least before they start to move.

Good luck
Giles

Terri

hi everyone, thanks for your help.

I cleaned the sections, gave them a good lick of pledge furniture polish (did the rest of the pole at the same time) and fitted a Drennan skid bung to the butt section and nose cones into the rest of the sections and took it out for the first time this morning.
I couldnt believe the difference it maked. I caught around 30 roach and skimmers, nothing big mind, and the pole worked a dream. It took all the guess work out of putting the sections together, slid through my hands when shipping it out and in again and when it came to pulling the sections it was a dream.
The clumsyness has gone.

Terri

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Thats what i like to see another satisfied customer of the forum.

scouse

'River Man'
HI TERRI
glad the skid bung worked
and the nose bungs, for the sake of a few quid
it will save the pole
tightlines dave (scouse)

Status
Not open for further replies.