Help me catch my first barbel! PLEASE

Poacher Pat Felstead

Morning all. I plan on catching my first barbel. In the past I've had plenty on but never managed to land one. I've never really set out up to catch them.

My plan to start is to spend a few hours on the Trent at the Nottingham embankment. I'll use a maggot feeder, 6lb mainline 4lb hook link about 18 inches. Size 12 hook with 4 maggots. I'll cast into the deeper water about a 3rd of the way out.

Does this sound ok or am I pissing into the wind.

Thanks in advance guys

Patrick

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Have you got a garden pond?

You could be like some of the "stars" who bought Adams Mill to "Protect" the record breaking barbel and have yourself a pet barbel that you can over feed till it's massive and then catch it every other day and claim the record once or twice a week ... ;)

Poacher Pat Felstead

Have you got a garden pond?

You could be like some of the "stars" who bought Adams Mill to "Protect" the record breaking barbel and have yourself a pet barbel that you can over feed till it's massive and then catch it every other day and claim the record once or twice a week ... ;)

There's a few commercials near me that stock barbel in their ponds but it's not for me. I'm not a fan of commercial fisheries anyway.

I've always fished the rivers on a stick float and center pin hence why I never managed to land a Barbel. 1,7 bottoms and a 20 hook just don't do it

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
There are places much more likely than the Embankment to catch them - the odd one shows up there, but you really need to get into some of the faster water - are you in any of the clubs in/around Nottingham?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
@barbelseeker is your man as he virtually lives on the Trent and will always help with advice if he can

Arch

Site Supporter
I’d beef your gear up a little, maybe 6lb hook length and 10lb mainline. Try Pellets and a boilie hook bait as well. Something spicy/fishmealy is a good start.

Poacher Pat Felstead

I’d beef your gear up a little, maybe 6lb hook length and 10lb mainline. Try Pellets and a boilie hook bait as well. Something spicy/fishmealy is a good start.
Might just try that. I've seen a few fellas fishing carp set ups. I was concerned that 6lb might be too light.

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
Hi Pat, im sure your a very experienced angler and just need to be pointed in the right direction, yes I do spend a lot of my time on the trent but there is no magic formula but you do need to step your gear up quite a ways may I suggest a 12lb up to 16lb mainline depending where on the trent you intend to fish and say a 10 or twelve pound hooklength to make sure you have a fair chance of landing the fish and less chance of snapping and leaving a hook stuck in the fish, I remember one occasion where I took 7 hooks out of one barbel, most of all you must remember that everybody draws a blank sometime I became an expert at this at rhe back end of the season last year lol. May I suggest you try a little further downstream say cromwell wier, farndon, A1 pits fiskerton or rolleston all day ticket waters the last two day tickets available at fiskerton post office NG25 OUL post code open at 6am, not sure if farndon is day ticket or not maybe some one can advise, oh and lastly I know its obvious but make sure your hooks are up to the job may I suggest a 10 or even an 8 at night ,good luck

Dusty

I would suggest 10-12lb mainline with an 8-10lb hooklength personally. Hooklength of between 2 and 4 feet.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm in more or less the same boat having never caught a River Barbel. I fish maggots everywhere but I've been told big baits like pellets, boiles and meat are the way to go so that's what I'll be doing when I finally give it a shot. Probably going to go for PVA bags with those baits. Like I say, never tried it myself yet so just going on what people have said, local Barbel anglers and on here.

I thought I was slightly overgunning with 7lb hooklength and 10lb mainline on my local weir where Chub are the main species but reckon that could be slightly under when I finally try the Severn for some Barbel.

Mr Barry S

Morning all. I plan on catching my first barbel. In the past I've had plenty on but never managed to land one. I've never really set out up to catch them.

My plan to start is to spend a few hours on the Trent at the Nottingham embankment. I'll use a maggot feeder, 6lb mainline 4lb hook link about 18 inches. Size 12 hook with 4 maggots. I'll cast into the deeper water about a 3rd of the way out.

Does this sound ok or am I pissing into the wind.

Thanks in advance guys

Patrick
Below Colwick sluice gates on the LEVAS stretch, fair few in there.

Poacher Pat Felstead

Hi Pat, im sure your a very experienced angler and just need to be pointed in the right direction, yes I do spend a lot of my time on the trent but there is no magic formula but you do need to step your gear up quite a ways may I suggest a 12lb up to 16lb mainline depending where on the trent you intend to fish and say a 10 or twelve pound hooklength to make sure you have a fair chance of landing the fish and less chance of snapping and leaving a hook stuck in the fish, I remember one occasion where I took 7 hooks out of one barbel, most of all you must remember that everybody draws a blank sometime I became an expert at this at rhe back end of the season last year lol. May I suggest you try a little further downstream say cromwell wier, farndon, A1 pits fiskerton or rolleston all day ticket waters the last two day tickets available at fiskerton post office NG25 OUL post code open at 6am, not sure if farndon is day ticket or not maybe some one can advise, oh and lastly I know its obvious but make sure your hooks are up to the job may I suggest a 10 or even an 8 at night ,good luck
Brilliant thanks for that I appreciate it. I remember regularly fishing fiskerton on the stick float years ago as a kid with my dad. I love that stretch. I think that's where I'll start.

My dad passed away just over a year ago so I decided to take up fishing again and visit all the spots he used to take me as a kid so it's quite fitting. I think I may be taking a drive over Tomorrow for a walk.

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
Hi pat fished it a few times this year but hard going in the high sun, if you can fish as late as you can as it is you have to be off for dark, (I am lucky enough to be on the night syndicate) so can stay overnight walk down from the car park and go right through the clappergate maybe try pegs from 47 upwards , the flow is from three quarters across and you will need a weight from 4 ozs upwards depending how far you cast into the flow, try halibut pellet maybe 10 mil banded in daytime but also 14mil , the peg right on the clapper gate will also produce on its day but better with a bit of water in, don't worry the cows are very friendly and the big bull is quite tame lol , seriously mate they wont bother you.