HELP! - Makins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chopper

Hello all,

My team have being fishing a regional Sensas invitation league with England Ladies, Maver Barnsley, BAS Sensas and Octoplus Saints to name a few.

We won the league and the Ladies were second, we now have to fish a national final on makins lakes, (I think they call it phase 1?). The winners of the final go out to France to fish the Grand Final against the other European teams that have qualified.

The competition is a 2 day event, 15/16th March and we will be fishing against Daiwa Dorking and all the big boys eg Will Raison and Steve Gardner to name a couple.

NO CARP will count (good!) so it's a silver fish affair that will probably involve lots of bloodworm and Joker but could be more chopped worm and caster or possibly just maggot fishing???? Help!

Does anybody know the venue well?
how it's fishing?
what weights are framing?
what methods are doing the damage?
stamp of silver fish?

Any info would be greatfully received as I have never seen the venue and we are up against the toughest competition possible!!!!

Cheers in advance.

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett
Datafile2.gif Datafile2.jpg Datafile2.jpg
Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
2001 Embassy Division 1 National Team Champions.

www.colmic.com

Last edited:

carpbob3

try this

http://www.tackleup.com/new_page_2.htm

if your not fishing your not living

MALC

Lee,

Don't fish Makins for the silvers myself but last years Sensas matches on there were mainly won on the caster fished shallow a lot of anglers tried Blood but switched to caster or maggot.

Weights should be around 20 to 25lb to win going by last year.

Alot depends on which lakes it's on if it's phase 1 then proberly find they will use Lake 1 and depending on numbers lake 2.

Lake 1 the Roach did average 6oz but don't know if British Waterways have or are moving any of the stock about since they took it over in January.

Other than the Teams that are to fish it you'll struggle for much info on the Silvers as 99% fish it for the Carp.

Also B & J is normally banned so unless your allowed special practice with it info will be even harder to find.

Sorry can't help more.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Chopper

Cheers for the info guys,

Suppose the weather will be a big factor on what tactics/bait to use.

I have heard the silver fish are a good size so if the weather is kind and it stops mild it will be caster fishing.

We were thinking about going down next weekend and getting a feel for the place and watch a match in action, but like you say Malc, 99% of anglers will be sitting for 'lumps' so I don't think we will learn too much.

It's going to be international rules, 4hr matches, no pole cups, 5min pre-baiting session etc. Should be a really good event with a lot of 'stars' competing from all over the country.

Anybody who lives fairly close to the venue will learn a lot and have a good day out by turning up and watching the competition. I welcome spectators/supporters but NO cheer leaders waving pom poms behind my peg!! Unless your name is Claudia Schiffer, Caprice, Jordan or Kelly Brook!! [:D]

www.colmic.com

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:Originally posted by LEE SAVILLE

Cheers for the info guys,

but NO cheer leaders waving pom poms behind my peg!! Unless your name is Claudia Schiffer, Caprice, Jordan or Kelly Brook!! [:D]

Lee
You tart.[:D] You should say they can be there but only waving pop poms after 3 hours and only if I am blanking (Note the spelling)

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

Paul Holt

Lee,

I've fished Makins through the winter and its been very hit and miss. Phase 1 is the most consistent and there are some fat roach and perch in most lakes. When i've been down on very hard days (catching no carp) fishing double caster in the deepest water on lake 2 has brought out some VERY nice perch as have maggots. On my last trip down there some of the pools were frozen so eneded up on lake 1 and could only catch a long way out (25 metres+) with maggot. Caster is definately one of the best bates at Makins though. As you say its very much dependant on the weather. Be interesting to see if you can avoid the carp too!!!

Chopper

quote:and could only catch a long way out (25 metres+)

Does that mean I will have to wipe the dust off a waggler rod??

No ledgering allowed and no more than 10% of a floats weight capacity can be on the deck, some more silly international rules we have to abide by [:(!]

www.colmic.com

Chris Taylor

I cant catch roach
If it is being fished to CIPS rules then pole cups will be out also & he will need to learn to make groundbait balls using one hand also (using both hands to make groundbait balls after the initial 5 minute baiting up period will not be permitted if using CIPS rules).

Depending which lakes you fish,rigs should be up to depths of between 6-12 ft,caster fed regular can bring in roch,they can go to a 1lb and sometimes will come right up in the water.
Chopped worm can find perch fished at the bottom of the slope or against it and can run to 2-3lb,but are more in the 6oz to 10oz size.
Best to put worm in by bait dropper.
Can't help on the b/j front as I have never fished it there,but I guess it would have to be put in ,in a fairly hard mix in the deeper water and keep loose feeding caster over the top may be an idea to see if roach are up in the water,hope this may help.

Posted it on total fishing for u and they were the replies i'll post more if they come

Chris Taylor

I cant catch roach
I have fished 2 twenty peg knockups, first was won with carp
3rd was 14lb all roach, he fished for them from the start, caught very shallow, from 2 -6 foot deep in 12 /13 foot of water fed very heavy with maggots, dropped in side while he had a drink and caught 2lb of perch very quick before they moved off.
2nd match very cold 2weeks ago, again he fished for roach from the off with mag and won with 17 lb I fished for carp for 2 hours had nowt then had 11lb of roach on the maggot again, for 3rd, plenty of roach to go at , them who fished caster caught bigger roach but not as many, hope this helps fished small hooks and no2 latex but it was very cold
Here is another

PoleRoller2003

'Pole Breaker'
good luck lee
hope you get in the placings. if it was me in your shoes i would go for casters and hemp/tares i not been to makins

poleroller2003
chris the name fish the game

splodger

i've had a quick look through the replies and i hav'nt seen anybody mention the orfe!
The big carp lake at the bottom (lake 1 i think) and lake 2 are stuffed with big orfe.
Last march i had 90lb of orfe from lake 1 on maggot feeder & double red maggot and if the weather is mild fish up in the water for them.
They go to 4lb but dont fight till you've got them in your hands!
Also, if carp are not allowed, what about the big stocks of tench,bream,chub and barbel?

SPLODGER

martin.

Account Locked
hi lee
GOOD LUCK TO BOTH YOU & YOUR TEAM MATES ON MAKINS
sorry i cant give any advice as im not a hole in ground angler
all i can suggest is if you cant use a dropper for putting choppy in try using a peat & leam mix to ball it in asthe peat helps it to break down quicker

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

Chopper

Cheers again guys.

Splodger, I have even heard rumours that orfe are not going to be allowed!!

Afraid I can't chuck a maggot feeder out, also banned!!

I am under the impression that we we will be targeting roach and around 12lb will get good section points and 20lb+ should win the match.

Martin, I'm also not a hole in the ground angler but I'm sure I'll enjoy Makins. Allready got a plan/Groundbait mix in mind but don't want to disclose any info on here in case there are any spies[;)]

Wouldn't want Will Raison, Steve Gardner or Alan Scotthorne pinching my ideas [:D][:D][:D]

We're off down this weekend to fish Sat and Sun and then again next Wednesday so we should have some idea about the place before the match days.

Will let you all know how we get on at the weekend.

www.colmic.com

Status
Not open for further replies.