Help, I'm a moron (line clip woes)

MrTencherson

Site Supporter
Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone here can educate me as to how to use a cylindrical line clip. In particular the line clip on my Cadence CS5 reel.

I have Diawa reels with the standard line clip, where you literally put the line under the clip. This, I find easy to use, it does the job, although looks like it might be a bit harsh on the line but I've never had any issues.

I recently got a Cadence CS5 reel which seems like a nice reel, works really well but for the life of me I cannot work out how to make the line stay on the clip. It's one of those round jobbies. I tried wrapping the line round the clip, in either directions, I also tried wrapping it round twice but no matter what i do, as soon as i release the tension off the line (even a bit) the line springs straight off the clip. So in practice, 'if' I can get the line to stay on the clip and wind in, the first time i cast and hit the clip, the line comes off the clip so i'm no longer clipped up - it's driving me nuts. please help.

And just because I can laugh at my own ignorance and ineptitude - here's a short video clip of the moron in action (me)
Help

Al

Dusty

I think I have these on my Shimanos and I just use them as I would any other line clip ?‍♂️
Perhaps yours is faulty?

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I had a CS10 before so same clip.

I always wrapped it around the clip once, anti clockwise, you need to pull a bit as it's quite a tight clip to get the line underneath.

Total

Site Supporter
You are not alone! ;).......Keep practising (from a Shimano reel user), Prictice makes purrrfect!:giggle:(y)

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Take the spool off the reel and have a go for practice, less fiddly with the reel out the way.

squimp

Site Supporter
You could put a pellet band round the clip and that will build in some tolerance.

or even use a larger pellet band (or a loop if pole elastic) loop that round the line and put it back under the clip. That way a tight clip can’t damage your line.

MrTencherson

Site Supporter
Does the line trap under the clip?

All sorted now thanks. The clip was stiff (it is new) and previously the line wasn't going under the clip. I've taken the spool off and loosened up the clip a little and it works perfectly now. As suspected, i was being a div, but with you're help i'm all sorted :)

MrTencherson

Site Supporter
It is a nice little reel by the way, I look forward to using it once the lock down is relaxed. It has a much better line lay than my Daiwa Ninja's and a smooth action.