Hello from a new member

• Thread starter Deleted member 26638
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 26638

Hope this is the right place for a 'Hello' message... so, HELLO!!!! (y)

New to coarse fishing (other than when I was a kid and a bit of dabbling back in the 90s), I've been a small streams fly fisherman for donkeys years, but that's gone on hold since moving to the Cotswolds from the frozen north a few years ago... will try Exmoor next season.

In the meantime I thought it would be rude not to fish on my doorstep. Got me an Acolyte Plus and I kept hold of a couple of my 90s Japanese-made Shimano reels and bought some bits and pieces of float fishing gear... going to stick to float fishing. Looking to join BAA and have been sniffing around the Avon... which I've canoe'd extensively.

So, apart from admitting to two black marks already - fluff chucking and canoeing - I'm hoping the coarse fishing community will welcome a new addition!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Welcome ?

There’s still a bit of small stream fly fishing available in the cotswolds if you fancy it, not as good as the coarse fishing though ?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Welcome buddy, no black marks for being a 'fluff chucker' your watercraft will be better than a lot of us on here.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Welcome to the loony bin dear chap... pull up a chair... mines a pint of Smirnoff's finest wiff a cherry....??

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Welcome Arthur!

may I ask which bit of the Cotswolds? Your reference to the Avon would indicate fairly northerly ... unless it’s the Bristol Avon!

there is some fly fishing on the Evenlode and Windrush ... I think the Burford club is fairly active (there is a Thread on this very site).
you’ll also find a couple of threads about the Warwickshire Avon between Warwick and Stratford by various posters If that is relevant.

D

Deleted member 26638

^^^ I'm in Buckland, Gloucestershire, just south of Broadway. I've been eyeing the Avon at Wasperton and Bidford, both within 40 minutes. Not sure how productive Wasperton is for hardcore anglers, but it's a lovely spot and I'm not bothered about quantity. I know there are dozens more places, but I thought it best to keep it simple and stick to a few for the first year or so and get to know those, along with my gear, bait, tactics and so on.

I must look up the Burford club for fly fishing - I got the impression (probably from the Orvis shop in Burford - EDIT: which is odd because I just noticed they sell day tickets for Burford AC waters) that the better spots on the Windrush were 'taken' by some very expensive clubs, the membership of which I'm not prepared to pay. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
^^^ I'm in Buckland, Gloucestershire, just south of Broadway. I've been eyeing the Avon at Wasperton and Bidford, both within 40 minutes. Not sure how productive Wasperton is for hardcore anglers, but it's a lovely spot and I'm not bothered about quantity. I know there are dozens more places, but I thought it best to keep it simple and stick to a few for the first year or so and get to know those, along with my gear, bait, tactics and so on.

I must look up the Burford club for fly fishing - I got the impression (probably from the Orvis shop in Burford - EDIT: which is odd because I just noticed they sell day tickets for Burford AC waters) that the better spots on the Windrush were 'taken' by some very expensive clubs, the membership of which I'm not prepared to pay. Thanks for the suggestion.
I’ve not fished either Wasperton or Bidford stretches in over 25 years.

However, I do fish the two stretches upstream of Wasperton regularly (Barford AA and a private stretch). These both hold lots of Barbel, chub, roach, perch and dace ... with a bream shoal or two. The chub feed more readily in the winter (from now on really). I can't see any reason why top end of Wasperton would be any different. I have noticed the last couple of years have seen the dace shoals declining, but more roach showing.
A few of the James Robbins youtube videos have been filmed on that private stretch above wasperton (both shakespeare and cadence ones - including the cadence "beginner's guide to series").

Bidford is, as I understand, more typical middle avon - where roach and perch predominate with the odd chub showing.

good luck

Last edited:

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Welcome, plenty to choose from near you.