Helicopter Rig for fishing over silt

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I posted recently about a stretch of canal that I have tipped off contains carp to 20 Lb, which I fancy putting a sleeper rod out for whilst fishing for silvers. I have been told that he area is very silty and will need a helicopter rig to stop the baited hook disappearing. Would appreciate any advice as to setup and pop up bait to use. Carp rigs are all new to me so gently does it chaps.

Thanks

Kevin

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
1 metre Leadcore chod rig with a 3 inch hooklength and a pop up about 14mm fished over a few pellets or particles would be a good start.
There are dozens of pop ups you could try both bright colours or drab colours but if to stick to anything from Mainline or Sticky baits you will cover the main bases but others may suggest Nash or CC moore which would be the next most popular.

squimp

Site Supporter
Simplest solution would be a Korda ‘naked chod’ set up on 12-15lb mainline. You don’t need leadcore etc.

Then buy some ready made chod rigs with size 5 or 6 hooks.

then any decent 14 or 15mm buoyant (as in cork ball) pop up.

At the far end a 1.5 oz (or so) lead and a decent buffer bead.

Set the top bead 18-24 inches above the lead and away you go. The chod rig/bait slides up the line on the cast and sits against the chod bead. If it is ridiculously silty then move the bead further up the line. The bead is designed to move and release the rig in the event of a breakage.

Cast out, tighten up gently and fish a lightish bobbin on a short drop (say 6” below the rod). Use a baitrunner or quick drag (and a buzzer if you are concentrating on another rod) to make sure the rod doesn’t get pulled in !

All that assumes your info about the silt is correct AND that the fish feed in the silt. I’d be tempted to try and find harder areas of bottom and maybe target those. Then you could use any bait/rig you like.......

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
naked chod for me, especially if you are new to rigs, watch some videos to give you ideas and how to tie

beat me to it squimp

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The reason I suggested leadcore is that you can leave it in place when a boat passes either in conjunction with a back lead or with the rod tip pushed under water.
If there are no boats its not necessary