Heavy feeder rod for carp fishing, should cast 4 ounces comfortably

Reginald

I have got two Free Spirit CTX power feeder special rods, 12 and 13ft. Very fine rods, but I need an addition to these ones, when I will be feeder fishing for big carp and cast out heavy feeders (Avid 2.5 ounces flatbed feeders ones) some 60-80 yards. I think when loaded a feeder like that might weigh up to 4 ounces, also saw such estimates on YouTube. I thought of a CTX power feeder distance rod, they are given at 160g casting weight. But I doubt, whether they can really take the strain? So, money aside, can you recommend a rod capable to cast out such a weight so far? I know the fish playing action will suffer, but you can’t have it all.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
If you're fishing still waters don't get pre-occupied with weight. Watch Steve Ringers video's what he uses and what he recommends. The CTX will do what you want and more, however you need the right set up and technique so watch some of Steve's video's and adapt how he fishes to suit where you are fishing.

Reginald

Hi Dave, yes I am fishing still waters only. Steve Ringer used a 60g feeder and SLR Daiwa rods I think. Good to know he does not fill the feeder to the brim because of the aerodynamics. If I get it right, you think that a CTX power feeder distance will handle a weight of up to 4 ounces. Maybe some less weight, if I don't fill it up to the max. I think that a heavy method feeder like the Avid one will help with the fish hooking themselves against the weight, like with classical carp fishing using heavy fixed leads.

Maverick

Site Supporter
A 2.5 oz flatbed feeder is 75g and is much to heavy to be chucking upto 80yrds surely.

I chuck 75mtrs - 82yrds with a 50g feeder, so the 60g feeders Steve Ringer is using are more than capeable of reaching those distances.
If you already have 12ft & 13ft CTX Power feeder rods they should be more than capable of casting 80yrds which is only 73mtrs.

I cast 60mtrs with my 11ft CTX rod and it's not a power feeder.

The fish will hook themselves easily with a method feeder, you don't need to use a 2.5oz feeder to do that.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Hi Dave, yes I am fishing still waters only. Steve Ringer used a 60g feeder and SLR Daiwa rods I think. Good to know he does not fill the feeder to the brim because of the aerodynamics. If I get it right, you think that a CTX power feeder distance will handle a weight of up to 4 ounces. Maybe some less weight, if I don't fill it up to the max. I think that a heavy method feeder like the Avid one will help with the fish hooking themselves against the weight, like with classical carp fishing using heavy fixed leads.
You have to optimise the weight for casting maximum distance. Don't worry about weight and fish hooking themselves, with any method feeder over 30g and a 4in hook length carp will drag the rod in.

Watch some of Steve's and Lee Kerry's distance feeder video's. The CTX will cast almost 6oz however you need to start light. If you tried to cast 6oz it would be a lob without power or accuracy. Try 40g, 50g and then 60g to get a feel for it and see what combination works best. Distance is no good without accuracy and as per my previous posts you need the right rod, reel, line and feeder combination to get the best from your set up.

Reginald

After thinking about it once more, I will probably remain with mine CTX special feeder rods for the time being. I have ordered some Guru hybrid feeders, 55g and 60g, and will give them a go soon. Til now I used Preston dura banjo feeders 45g, but those are discontinued. Should the need arise, I can still go for something like a CTX distance feeder. Thanks for all the hints.

Reginald

daiwa nzon 60g 11ft method feeder is a pig of a rod.i just bought one,and its a strong rod.
Well there is the Daiwa NZON ZXL Distance feeder 13ft. Casting weight is given at 180g. Now this should be a strong rod:cool: