heavy feeder reel

nastix

Hi lads, I am wondering of you could help me to choose the reel for river fishing in strong current with heavy feeders (and occasional trips to my local gravel pit), My rods of choice are sportex xclusive heavy feeders with length of 3,9 meters and casting weight up to 220g. Thank you in advance for your answers,

MKulicka

Hi lads, I am wondering of you could help me to choose the reel for river fishing in strong current with heavy feeders (and occasional trips to my local gravel pit), My rods of choice are sportex xclusive heavy feeders with length of 3,9 meters and casting weight up to 220g. Thank you in advance for your answers,
For this kind of fishing wiht really big weights I consider Shimano Bulls Eye 5050 as one of the best choices. Thanks to its low gear ratio it is really strong. Significantly stronger than 5050 Ultegra or Daiwa Castizm (and related models).
It was even possible to buy it around 180 pounds new which I think is really good price. The problem is that you will probably find diffucult to get it as Shimano ended its production short time ago. There were still some pieces lately to be found, but they vanished very quickly. But if you will be able to get one - I do not not think you can get anyting better consdering price/performance ratio.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Daiwa N'Zon distance 25 is worth a look.

It's designed for heavy feeder work, 4.6:1 ratio suited for heavy cranking.

It's got similar DNA to the Cast'izm reels which are held in high regard, and not bad value at £80 each.

In the Shimano stable I know a lot of people like the old baitrunners like the 6010 or 8010 for their Barbel fishing which involves cranking in some big weights, so might be worth a looksy at those on the 2nd hand market.

Last edited: