Heavy elastic for snaggy pegs

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Having spent most of my match on Sunday engaged in jungle warfare with carp and a large bed of lily pads, (peg27 on Magpie lake at Rookery Waters if anyone knows it, the next peg to the one that Ben Townsend filmed a recent snag fishing video on YouTube), I’ve decided I need a power kit set up a bit heavier than what I have currently for those occasions when I draw a snag pit.

The strongest kit I had on the day was 17 duraslip, which is my margin setup, rig was nguage 0.19 to nguage 0.17 hooklength.

I did ok, losing 3 rigs and a couple of hooklengths during the day, and landing 100lb to secure a section win, but it was touch and go every time I hit a bite as to whether I was able to get them away from the lilies before they buried themselves.

The MTX power kits have an elastic rating of 18, so whilst I’m not sure how much stronger an elastic I could put through one of them, I’ve seen elastics much higher rated than that. In the matrix video he was using 18-20 Slik, but I think that’s pretty similar to the 17 duraslip that I was using.

My original thoughts were to get some 19 duraslip, however I can’t find any for sale anywhere, so I’m looking for some suggestions for a viable alternative.

Thanks in advance 👍👍

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Stewie - Ben was fishing shallow, and really bent his pole is keeping the fish away from the lillies. If you're fishing deep you've no chance of landing everything, not even with everything tightened up - you're always going to find some fish already in the lillies when you strike.

You have to accept sometimes that you can't catch in the way you would like - the fish are in charge!

Ben explains in that video that you can only do what he was doing fishing shallow. And yes, you would need a strong Power kit.

Better to bring the fish away from the lillies if you can. I don't know whether a stronger elastic would help, because I tend towards stronger elastics anyway - 18 upwards a lot of the time. But I do know that some of the Pidley locals have a single section with elastic through it just for catching fish near the lillies. Have you thought of that?

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Hi Mac, hope you’re well,

I was using the MTX1 Power pole, having decided to leave the MTX3 in the bag, and I was catching at about 18 inches deep, just laying the rig in next to the pads and letting it drop through the water. Pinging maggots over the top and 2-3 dead reds on the hook. The pole definitely took some stick, but never felt like it was under too much pressure.

The guy next to me on peg 36 was fishing on the deck and lost twice as many as he got out. I think I lost about 20-30lb either trashed in the likes or hook pulls, so I landed about 75-80% of what I hooked.

I’ve not considered just elasticating a single section, thanks for the suggestion👍👍

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Hi, Stewie, yes I'm OK. If you were fishing shallow then I reckon you were fishing it in the best way possible, and did OK.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Solid elastic on a winder bung (so I can adjust tension) in those circumstances for me. I have one kit with Middy solid 18-20 and another with 1 section of 18-20 connected to some power gum which is on the winder.

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
Another option is just elesticating the number 1. Soft on strike, power up quick. My margin pole is set up with orange vespe with just the no1 laccied. Doesnt even bump skimmers but easy to bottom out with a pull. Not sure how sensible it is to apply to a match pole though?

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Another option is just elesticating the number 1. Soft on strike, power up quick. My margin pole is set up with orange vespe with just the no1 laccied. Doesnt even bump skimmers but easy to bottom out with a pull. Not sure how sensible it is to apply to a match pole though?
Thanks, sounds like what Gozzer was suggesting above.

I’ll need to look into how to elasticated just the first section, presumably some sort of internal bung and no puller kit?

chris1967

Site Supporter
Thanks, sounds like what Gozzer was suggesting above.

I’ll need to look into how to elasticated just the first section, presumably some sort of internal bung and no puller kit?
you'll find by doing it that way the elastic bottoms out too quick and snaps you off at the connector ,i,ve used one piece kits most of the summer and been done a few times even with heavy elastics fitted, never had it happen with a top two , i'd go top two all the way with a heavier elastic

Stewie74

Site Supporter
you'll find by doing it that way the elastic bottoms out too quick and snaps you off at the connector ,i,ve used one piece kits most of the summer and been done a few times even with heavy elastics fitted, never had it happen with a top two , i'd go top two all the way with a heavier elastic
Thanks Chris, any suggestions as to which elastic to try? I’m looking at Middy 18-20 solid, any thoughts?

JLK

Get rid of that dura slip 17. It's too stretchy through a top kit for edge fishing, let alone pad fishing.
Experiment with different lengths of either a hollow or solid that powers up really quickly and run this elastic through 1 section and fasten it to some thick 10lb line or soft dacron and run it through the pulla like you normally would.
Lots of anglers like orange Vespe solid 25+ or middy hi viz solid 20.
I have a few kits with connekt hollow orange 18/20 in for a similar type of venue. Whichever way you look at it you are entering pole breaking territory with this style of fishing.

chris1967

Site Supporter
Thanks Chris, any suggestions as to which elastic to try? I’m looking at Middy 18-20 solid, any thoughts?
ive been using this for the bigger fish or anything that needed slowing down

Lakeland Dog

Hi All,
I used a 19 preston hollow yday down the edge, best elastic I've used for slowing those donkey's, before they snagged up and also for that chaotic last hour. First for me, but came recommended. Only my humble input but it worked.(y)

Stanley

I really feel for snag fishing you really need to take a step back in-time and go with one of the standard solid elastics. My old XRS venom has PI slip 16 through just the powertop which will be just over 1m. I used to twizzle the last 8-10” so it was doubled-up ! Back in the WhiteAcres days of Pole alley on Sycamore Lake we would even use the 0.06mm micro braid straight-through !! Just checked and also have a top with Double no.10 in !! Now that’s taking a step back in time. Years ago Ringer and some of the others were using double “Black” no.8 Slip in poles ! Nice and soft but soon powered up.

Marker50

Site Supporter
When playing a lump on the pole.
And you are only thinking i hope the pole does not bust.
Was more on paste with no weak links.
I was told if you move the pole over the fish in direction it is going it confuses it and stops the run.
Anyone do this.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Speaking of catching lumps, I hear that a friend was fishing Le Bel Etang yesterday. This is the lake that my 26lber came from. It seems he had a fish of 41lb 4oz yesterday, on the pole!.
Hoping to get some details and a photo.

Total

Site Supporter
Speaking of catching lumps, I hear that a friend was fishing Le Bel Etang yesterday. This is the lake that my 26lber came from. It seems he had a fish of 41lb 4oz yesterday, on the pole!.
Hoping to get some details and a photo.
Have you any plans to fish Etang in matches during the cooler weather Dave?