Heaviest elastic you have ever used?

Dusty

What’s the heaviest you have ever fished on the pole?

My mates just ordered a middy white knuckle which came supplied with a top 2 fitted with 24 elastic, Ive had a bit of a look at it and even when pulling hard barely anything leaves the pole tip. He’s just gone to the tackle shop to pick up something lighter.

One of the chaps where my dad fishes uses exclusively 25 elastic for carp, the biggest I’ve seen caught on said lake is a low double and there are no snags.

I use 14-17 dual core for all of my margin fishing and find it totally faultless, has plenty of give in it for smaller fish such as F1s and crucians but powers up excellently for large carp.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Red hydro when fishing Rolfs lake

the fish, not only are of a size, but the fight like hell there

though saying that, my personal best pole caught carp was caught using red hydro on peg 9 there, 19lb 4oz, it plodded around for about 20 mins, then just decided to come in as meek as you like

davepellet

used to have some red Drennan Bungee thru the no1 section, set pretty tight
also had double 10 solid before

strongest I've got now is 16/18 Matrix Slik hybrid, which is more like a 14/16

michaelbrov

Behemoth
At fisho this year i asked nick gilbert for some of his black hollow elastic and he said to me are you sure so i haven't used it yet it looks like coaz cable.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I've tried a 20 on the clubs waters, but didn't hit into anything to test it. Replaced it with a 16.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Currently using 22 hollow on the margins in my local because the fish just have a crazy initial burst of energy which always results in me being snapped up.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Had red hydro in my original Yank n Bank margin pole, heaviest in my Milo pole is 16, but had big carp years ago with number 8 zim in a Garbolino Scimitar.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
16-20 hydro and pulled out of probably 75% of fish I hooked at close quarters in a couple of similar situation sessions. I save it now for only when I know I am definitely mouth hooking and fishing a decent marginal depth.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Vespe solid orange rated at 25 for Rolf's where there were a couple of margin pegs back in the day where you had to stop them getting to roots and the fish were large (15lbs+) doubles with a few twenties as well.
Nowadays nothing over 18 rated elastics in any of my kits.

rob6709

Site Supporter
Black hydro, I wouldn't want anything thicker in my top kits. I have had carp well over 20lb in matches on it.

Dusty

Vespe solid orange rated at 25 for Rolf's where there were a couple of margin pegs back in the day where you had to stop them getting to roots and the fish were large (15lbs+) doubles with a few twenties as well.

What sort of line and hooklengths do you pair with this?
I’m imagining at least 12lb mainline to 10lb bottom

solwood

Site Supporter
I don't really feel comfortable using lighter than 12, heaviest 18-20 Nick Gilbert orange

Total

Site Supporter

Peter, Was this in the days before the maximum Middy 18-20 blue elastic rule they imposed? (y)....I beleive it's changed since? :unsure:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Peter, Was this in the days before the maximum Middy 18-20 blue elastic rule they imposed? (y)....I beleive it's changed since? :unsure:

There have been several versions of the elastic rules over the years at Rolf's and I'm out of the loop. having not fished there for around 5 years now. I used to buy the Vespe on site at Rolf's and they had no problem with it being used there at the time.