Heaton Park - Bank Holiday Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul w

A quick check of the weather forecast the night before and then everything packed ready for a day's fishing on the boating lake.Not the best of nights sleep,so was up before 6am.Made some drinks and sandwiches and had my breakfast.

Took the dog for quick walk and noticed the park gates were open at 7.30am !!!!!!!!unusual I thought so dash back and put all the tackle onto the trolley and off we went.Arrived at the lakeside by 8am and began setting up in anticipation of a good days fishing.My intention was to stay probably until after 7pm so would be a good long session.

Beautiful sunny morning and barely any wind.Did notice on one of the islands that a Heron had already chosen his peg for the morning[:)]

PICT0195.jpg

PICT0193.jpg

Anyway,everything set up and ready for a relaxing day by the water.My peg was a well used but peaceful spot,close to the old boathouse.Took a while for the swim to get going but within an hour I had a good size Roach coming towards the bank.Unfortunately,in my eagerness to catch the first of the day I made the mistake of NOT using the landing net,chosing instead to pick the fish up as it reached the shallow water near my feet.As I bent down to grab the fish it lashed out - snapping my hooklength [:C][:C][:C].Over the next few hours it was pretty quiet except for a few of the usual Perch and small Roach.During this time I bumped at least 3 fish,only small ones but very frustrating just the same.After lunchtime I seemed to get the fish feeding again but again only very small.

PICT0198.jpg

Had some of my sandwiches and the dog had some of his food I'd taken with me.By now,the park had filled with visitors and the boats where starting to go around the lake.I had worried that the activity might spoil the fishing,especially when I realised not many other anglers where ther today.

Alan the Bailiff called round and I had a chat with him for a while and then my daughter Jodie appeared with her friends.They then went and hired at boat for 45 minutes (costing 8.50[:0]).Really busy on the lake today so don't suppose that helped the fishing at all.

Fishing picked up slightly later in the afternoon.As usual I fished the pole about 7m out but I did try my feeder rod today aswell using a maggot feeder.Only tried that for an hour or so with no success.Also used a waggler near the margins for a while aswell and did manage a couple of Perch to chopped worm.Gave up on that one after I lost a waggler in a tree [:(!]Need to work on using different techniques and bait soon to vary my fishing instead of relying on pole and maggot.Did try a little tinned hemp today..........not impressed,far to soft for the hook.

Apparently they are having a club match here on 12th September so I may have a go........might win a prize if they have one for the smallest bag.I'll enjoy it though.

Again about 4lb of fish here today although did have this Perch about 6pm which was the biggest Perch I've seen caught in this lake.I did weigh it and it was just over 8oz (0.5lb).Made me think how big they grow to in this water,and this fish only took a single red maggot on a size 18.......it was the Roach I was hoping for.

PICT0199.jpg

No fishing now until maybe Friday and then probably try a different venue.Might be ok now the kids are back at school,bit quieter anyway.

nelson66

I live only a couple of minutes away from heaton park lake, and have fished it on and off since for the last 35 years.
It used to be a brilliant roach fishery - with loads of fish over the 2lb mark. The bigger fish always fell to bread flake fished over liqqied bread on the boat house side of the lake near to where people feed the ducks;)
Hemp and caster should always catch you a bag of decent fish.
My biggest perch was just shy of 3lb taken on popped up lobworm cast tight to the island nearest to the big colums.
Matchs have always been gruellers on here

paul w

Was there again for a few hours this morning,fishing from near the drain.No pictures this time and the place seemed to be alive with tiny fish jumping all over the place.

I stayed there until about 1pm when the boaters began going by and then I packed up and went home.Caught a seemingly endless amount of Perch....the biggest of around 6oz,and one tiny Roach.Good fun though and lovely weather.Plenty of other anglers on there today,some pole fishing and others with feeder rods.

Not heard of any big catches this week.Early last week one of our members landed a 15lb mirror carp on just 4lb line.

Status
Not open for further replies.