Head Benders

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
As a follow on from @Troggs post Something To Bamboozle You, I thought it would be interesting to read of the odd things that member's have come across.

So here are a few of mine

1) The mass of the Great Pyramids of Giza is great enough to generate a higher magnetic field than the local area in which they are sited.

2) According to Quantum Mechanics it is impossible to answer the question 'How long is a piece of string' even if you have a piece of sting in front of you.
(If anyone say's to me how long is a piece of string ? I always answer it's twice half it's length, although according to QM it is impossible to state that with any accuracy.)

3) It is legal for a ships crew to abandon a stricken ship on the Captain's orders take to lifeboats, leave the ship, only to return, board the ship and claim it as salvage, if it can be brought to a port of safe harbour.

4) If you put cargo on a ship and it sinks you still have to pay the freight charge.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
My favourite factoid is that Cleopatra lived closed in time to the building of the first Pizza Hut than she did to the building of the last of the Great Pyramids (when there were still woolly mammoths wandering about).

On a separate note, Gobekli Tepe in Turkey predates Stonehenge by about 7,000 years, and also most of the technology that they would have needed to build it!

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Leylines
The Great Pyramid is aligned with Machupicchu, the Nazca lines and Easter Island along a straight line around the center of the Earth, within a margin of error of less than one tenth of one degree of latitude. Other sites of ancient construction that are also within one tenth of one degree of this line include:
Perseopolis, the capital city of ancient Persia; Mohenjo Daro, the ancient capital city of the Indus Valley; and the lost city of Petra. The Ancient Sumarian city of Ur and the temples at Angkor Wat are within one degree of latitude of this line.

Scribe

Site Supporter
@Yuccaman Interesting fact about Cleopatra it is hard to grasp the length of Egyptian Dynasties until you put it in to context like that.

rudd

Site Supporter
As a follow on from @Troggs post Something To Bamboozle You, I thought it would be interesting to read of the odd things that member's have come across.

So here are a few of mine

1) The mass of the Great Pyramids of Giza is great enough to generate a higher magnetic field than the local area in which they are sited.

2) According to Quantum Mechanics it is impossible to answer the question 'How long is a piece of string' even if you have a piece of sting in front of you.
(If anyone say's to me how long is a piece of string ? I always answer it's twice half it's length, although according to QM it is impossible to state that with any accuracy.)

3) It is legal for a ships crew to abandon a stricken ship on the Captain's orders take to lifeboats, leave the ship, only to return, board the ship and claim it as salvage, if it can be brought to a port of safe harbour.

4) If you put cargo on a ship and it sinks you still have to pay the freight charge.
Number four is not correct as it would depend on the Incoterm used to forn the contract as to where risk transfers and who is responsible for freight charges.
To make matters worse if general average is called the party carrying the risk better hold maritime insurance.

Scribe

Site Supporter
@rudd It was assuming that the sender of the cargo is paying the freight (I didn't want to overload members with freight terms EXW, FAS, FOB, etc.) as freight is deemed earned once the cargo crosses the ships rail,

Having spent 35 years in freight forwarding / shipping I have had to ring a customer to tell them that their cargo was on a ship that sank in the English channel and yes they did have insurance for CIF + 10% :)

rudd

Site Supporter
@rudd It was assuming that the sender of the cargo is paying the freight (I didn't want to overload members with freight terms EXW, FAS, FOB, etc.) as freight is deemed earned once the cargo crosses the ships rail,

Having spent 35 years in freight forwarding / shipping I have had to ring a customer to tell them that their cargo was on a ship that sank in the English channel and yes they did have insurance for CIF + 10% :)
The MSC vessel off Devon/Dorset?
I had stuff on YM Green FOB, imagine having paid for cargo having to pay the freight and an insurance amount due to general average for cargo you will never see!
Received my new 2020 incoterms book today ? hashtag customs geek!

Scribe

Site Supporter
Earlier than that the MV Aeolian Sky Novemener 1979 when there were more conventional ships than container vessels and King George V Dock in London was a working port.

Scribe

Site Supporter
@Lee Richards Don't get @rudd & me started before you know it we will start talking about Bills of Lading and customs forms, not to mention marine insurance clauses such as Force Majeure or that you can insure cargo against torpedoes & mines. :bash: :D:D

rudd

Site Supporter
Maritime insurance / bill of lading - two of the earliest documents invented by man!
But not as early as duty / tax!

Scribe

Site Supporter
Maritime insurance / bill of lading - two of the earliest documents invented by man!
But not as early as duty / tax!

Brexit must be causing real havoc in the freight industry @rudd I don't envy you at all. At least you won't have to go back to the old days of having to type up customs forms or combined Booking & Bill of Lading Instructions, now where did we put that old bander machine....:D

rudd

Site Supporter
Brexit must be causing real havoc in the freight industry @rudd I don't envy you at all. At least you won't have to go back to the old days of having to type up customs forms or combined Booking & Bill of Lading Instructions, now where did we put that old bander machine..
Brexit must be causing real havoc in the freight industry @rudd I don't envy you at all. At least you won't have to go back to the old days of having to type up customs forms or combined Booking & Bill of Lading Instructions, now where did we put that old bander machine....:D
Its opened opportunity twice for me, I work in Trade / Customs consultancy now for one of the big four now.
Document wise Brexit is a nightmare.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
It was easy with my old employers... our products were approved as coming from an approved sender... so air and sea freight didn't have to wait air or quayside before loading, or be subjected to X ray scanning before loading onto aircraft... it also meant that road freight DG's had customs clearance across all EU member states... saved a lot of time and paperwork... which happily I will not have to deal with as I retired last year

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Will we be going back to T2 forms to send road freight, when we leave the EU?
Used to drive me nuts, completing those when our wagon was outside revving his engine, desperate to get away to catch North Sea Ferries at Hull.

Scribe

Site Supporter
Thanks @banksy I had forgotten about T2 forms, I hope you didn't forget to give the driver a CMR note and Manifest... I think the EUR1 forms were the biggest pain after Arab Certificates of Origin requiring authorising & legalising :poop::cry: I mean really did anyone believe for a minute that if you wanted to get some Israeli goods/products into an Arab country that a C of O requirement would stop it happening. o_O