Hawkhurst fish farm

ATTICUS FINCH

Today saw the club at hawkhurst fish farm, the match lake is a long narrow strip with ten pegs either side ,it's about thirty five yards wide and maybe a hundred yards long .
Depth is a very even three and a half ft and it was to be just two top kits set up ,one for everywhere other than the margin for which the other kit was set up for . The main rig was a 16 hook to 0.15 hooklength to a 0.19 mainline the float was a .3g Chianti style with a solid 1.2 yellow bristle.
The bait tray was an array of baits , maggots of course , worms ,corn cubed meat (spam), 4mm expanders presoaked and absolutely perfect , and four slices of white bread .
The weather was a very mild 12 degrees and with a heavy cloud cover it looked like it could rain at any time.
The all in was at ten and at the whistle I put on a 10 mm pellet of punched bread and shipped out to 13 mtrs for a bit of dobbing.
I get a bite first put in and a nice chunky F1 graced the landing net .back out and more bites and a few missed bites had me thinking wether or not I should feed anything ,I decided against it as the float was burying often enough to stay like I was ,just bread on the hook and no feed at all.
Looking opposite I could see Gary on the method feeder on peg 20 (I was on peg 2) and he was having a great day as he was steady all day putting fish in the net .
I stayed on the buppy all day and never fed a thing as I was from what I could see doing ok compared to everyone else apart from Gary who went on to win the match with 78lb.
My efforts saw me second with exactly 50lb .
40lb was third .
Last night I wanted to liquidise some bread but my liquidiser decided that it has seen better days and to be honest the last time I used it was probably over ten years ago.
I'm wondering if I had been able to prepare some licky would I have caught more or would it have put them off . Chatting with a couple of others they were saying g/bait didn't work for them .
So it's now 65points out of a possible 70 from my last seven matches , with only three left ,and only two that I can fish it's looking like second place in the club championship this year

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well done Bill, haven't fished it myself for ages but always found it a bit hit and miss, what worked one day would be the kiss of death the next.
It always suffered by being used as something of a stock pond by the owners with fish being netted out or added at other times which I'm sure unsettles the fish.
On it's day it has always been capable of decent weights but gets harder once the frosts start and the colour drops out.

I trust that the Café still does the same excellent breakfasts it was always known for. ;)

ATTICUS FINCH

Well done Bill, haven't fished it myself for ages but always found it a bit hit and miss, what worked one day would be the kiss of death the next.
It always suffered by being used as something of a stock pond by the owners with fish being netted out or added at other times which I'm sure unsettles the fish.
On it's day it has always been capable of decent weights but gets harder once the frosts start and the colour drops out.

I trust that the Café still does the same excellent breakfasts it was always known for. ;)
Cafe is not as good, changed hands a while back and is expensive to what it was ,it was one of the best for a good breakfast ,but I now have a maccy Dees in my town now so prefer that .