Having a Larford!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I went to Larford Lakes for the first time today. It's only half an hour from me and access is good for me with the fishery being only 2 or so miles from Stourport, but despite that I'd never fished there before. The plan was to fish the Specimen Lake and target Skimmers.

The owner is a gentleman and advised me which end of the lake to fish and to catch bigger Bream on the short line, only 20m out, just past a long pole line.

That was a good job today really as it was probably one of the windiest days I've ever fished in, and being a big open lake it was really constant and quite cold, with a big chop on the water. More like reservoir fishing than commercial fishing I thought to myself. Not to worry as although it made for slightly uncomfortable fishing, Bream sometimes love a chop on the water.

2022-03-09 14.31.57.jpg

The eagle eyed will notice my seat box was more level than usual today. That was because I had to adjust it a bit anyway as the lakes have recently flooded and all the staging is underwater, meaning you have to fish from the grass bank between the platforms. I think I was on peg 2 but don't quote me on that.

On my bait tray was medium dendros, fishery micros, dead pinkies and maggots, and live pinkies and maggots, along with a kilo of Sonubaits F1 Dark.

I had about 5 bait up casts with a bigger feeder before switching to a smaller 30g feeder on the 20m line, putting in a mixture of all that bait.

I'd got to the fishery for 8am and was fishing for 8.45am and started on maggot. First cast and I had a small hand sized Skimmer. This is what I had expected to catch.

2022-03-09 09.04.04.jpg

I had about 5 of those. It wasn't fast but steady enough when I switched to worm and before long I had a more powerful bite. It was certainly a Carp. Fun to play steadily on an 0.12 hooklength, but not much of a problem with the water still being quite cold. I reckon the plump fish was about 8lb.

2022-03-09 09.44.46.jpg

It went slightly quieter after that but I think I had a few more Skimmers before catching an F1. Surprised me a bit as I didn't realise they were in there.

2022-03-09 10.22.58.jpg

A few more chunky F1s followed with intermittent Skimmers. Really I was hoping the Bream would switch on.

2022-03-09 10.54.34.jpg
2022-03-09 11.12.47.jpg

2022-03-09 11.40.08.jpg

2022-03-09 11.53.58.jpg

2022-03-09 12.31.49.jpg
2022-03-09 11.12.47.jpg
2022-03-09 11.40.09.jpg

As you can see from the selection of photos above... a better stamp of Skimmer arrived... some were what I would call Bream just about pushing 3lb.

The peg just got better and better as more bait went in and the Bream kept coming.

The best bait turned out to be 3 live red maggots on a 14 hook, as I felt I was hitting the bites better than on worm.

I ended up packing away at 2.30pm, having been there for 5 and half hours, as I'd ran out of groundbait. I wanted to get to 50 fish but had to call it a day at 42.

2022-03-09 14.31.23.jpg

The owner had said to me at the start, "if you get it right you'll do 40lb. Come back in Summer and you'll do 70lb." Well I had 20 Bream, 10 Skimmers, 10 F1s, 1 small Carp, and the one 8lb Carp. So I'd say I did a comfortable 80lb as a low estimate. I reckon if I'd fished on and caught 50 fish I could have said I'd done a ton quite easily.

Not bad for my first time fishing there! Beginners luck! Have told my dad I think he'd like it there so will be heading back, but maybe on a less windy day. (y)

tincatim

Site Supporter
Sounds like a good day mate. I’m glad you managed to catch well on your first trip, it must have felt good after your recent park lake trips.

Can I ask what feeder arm that is? I’ve got the same box as you and want a new feeder arm, I’ll need a universal one but I’m not even sure what diameter the legs are on the SX4 box.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Sounds like a good day mate. I’m glad you managed to catch well on your first trip, it must have felt good after your recent park lake trips.

Can I ask what feeder arm that is? I’ve got the same box as you and want a new feeder arm, I’ll need a universal one but I’m not even sure what diameter the legs are on the SX4 box.

Cheers. I like fishing different places so don't mind blanking on a hard venue one day and then going at getting some bites on another.

It's only a cheap feeder arm. Probably £10 new from Amazon but I have two of them that have been bought on separate occasions at car boot sales so I'm not sure of the exact one. I've thought about getting a better one but these seem to do the job so I'm not sure why I'd want a better one even if it's probably slightly more stable in gale force winds like today!

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I went to Larford Lakes for the first time today. It's only half an hour from me and access is good for me with the fishery being only 2 or so miles from Stourport, but despite that I'd never fished there before. The plan was to fish the Specimen Lake and target Skimmers.

The owner is a gentleman and advised me which end of the lake to fish and to catch bigger Bream on the short line, only 20m out, just past a long pole line.

That was a good job today really as it was probably one of the windiest days I've ever fished in, and being a big open lake it was really constant and quite cold, with a big chop on the water. More like reservoir fishing than commercial fishing I thought to myself. Not to worry as although it made for slightly uncomfortable fishing, Bream sometimes love a chop on the water.

2022-03-09 14.31.57.jpg

The eagle eyed will notice my seat box was more level than usual today. That was because I had to adjust it a bit anyway as the lakes have recently flooded and all the staging is underwater, meaning you have to fish from the grass bank between the platforms. I think I was on peg 2 but don't quote me on that.

On my bait tray was medium dendros, fishery micros, dead pinkies and maggots, and live pinkies and maggots, along with a kilo of Sonubaits F1 Dark.

I had about 5 bait up casts with a bigger feeder before switching to a smaller 30g feeder on the 20m line, putting in a mixture of all that bait.

I'd got to the fishery for 8am and was fishing for 8.45am and started on maggot. First cast and I had a small hand sized Skimmer. This is what I had expected to catch.

2022-03-09 09.04.04.jpg

I had about 5 of those. It wasn't fast but steady enough when I switched to worm and before long I had a more powerful bite. It was certainly a Carp. Fun to play steadily on an 0.12 hooklength, but not much of a problem with the water still being quite cold. I reckon the plump fish was about 8lb.

2022-03-09 09.44.46.jpg

It went slightly quieter after that but I think I had a few more Skimmers before catching an F1. Surprised me a bit as I didn't realise they were in there.

2022-03-09 10.22.58.jpg

A few more chunky F1s followed with intermittent Skimmers. Really I was hoping the Bream would switch on.

2022-03-09 10.54.34.jpg
2022-03-09 11.12.47.jpg

2022-03-09 11.40.08.jpg

2022-03-09 11.53.58.jpg

2022-03-09 12.31.49.jpg
2022-03-09 11.12.47.jpg
2022-03-09 11.40.09.jpg

As you can see from the selection of photos above... a better stamp of Skimmer arrived... some were what I would call Bream just about pushing 3lb.

The peg just got better and better as more bait went in and the Bream kept coming.

The best bait turned out to be 3 live red maggots on a 14 hook, as I felt I was hitting the bites better than on worm.

I ended up packing away at 2.30pm, having been there for 5 and half hours, as I'd ran out of groundbait. I wanted to get to 50 fish but had to call it a day at 42.

2022-03-09 14.31.23.jpg

The owner had said to me at the start, "if you get it right you'll do 40lb. Come back in Summer and you'll do 70lb." Well I had 20 Bream, 10 Skimmers, 10 F1s, 1 small Carp, and the one 8lb Carp. So I'd say I did a comfortable 80lb as a low estimate. I reckon if I'd fished on and caught 50 fish I could have said I'd done a ton quite easily.

Not bad for my first time fishing there! Beginners luck! Have told my dad I think he'd like it there so will be heading back, but maybe on a less windy day. (y)
Excellent day 😀, top fishing , great report and photos . Fisho next 😁

smiffy

Site Supporter
It’s a nice water isn’t it. I think what made the difference for me was the acreage. I like waters with plenty of scope.
On the opposite bank you’ve got the Severn behind you. No idea what it’s like mind.
I know the fish are pressured by the amount of Carp in there but it’s a good water for giving you confidence in putting some feed in👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Cheers. I will say I had the lake to myself. Only one person fishing on the other lake, the Match lake I think it's called. I think people must have known about the wind that picks up there, but it's something a bit different due to the size.

On the feeding, I didn't mention in my report but I started on I think a 4 hole Drennan Cage feeder after putting some bait in with a 5 hole Guru Distance Cage Feeder. Then I had a cast and the feeder shot off into the distance... I thought I'd cracked off but it turned out the Preston Feeder Bead had came undone. So I switched back to the 5 hole. Was surprised I got through a kilo of groundbait as I was only plugging the ends and put a load of particles through. Seems like they can definitely take some bait when you're the only one on the lake.

edit - I think I have the feeder sizes right. :LOL:

Total

Site Supporter
@Zerkalo....Cracking day Steve and a well detailed report with good photos....:)(y)

Can't believe you only took a kilo of groundbait....:help:....And good to read the new rig that baits up two swims at once proved to be so useful for you...;)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's an ongoing battle finding the right amount of groundbait to take as when only putting it through a feeder I normally have a load leftover. Whenever I watch a sponsored video it seems they will mix 3 bags together then fish a tiny feeder! 🤷‍♂️ :LOL:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds like a good session to me well done well worth getting blown about for 👍🏻

Interesting it was at such short range as would be fun to get them on the float were it not so windy.

Total

Site Supporter
Take some loose, you can always make up some more if needed and cuts down on the waste its not as if you were fishing a match.........Or have some micros with you to bulk out your existing groundbait....(y)

smiffy

Site Supporter
I was going to say knock up more than you need, you can always free,,,,,,,,ahhhhh😉

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm allowed to freeze groundbait, usually end up doing so as well, maybe still stuck in winter mode. :p

Total

Site Supporter
I'm allowed to freeze groundbait, usually end up doing so as well, maybe still stuck in winter mode. :p
I generally feed more groundbait (in various make ups including leam and molehill soil etc) in Winter than I do in the warmer months...(y)

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Well fished mate.

I love Larford. I’ve always done well on the bream on the big lake and had some cracking carp out of there in the summer. The match lake is good in the winter as it is rammed with f1s.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I generally feed more groundbait (in various make ups including leam and molehill soil etc) in Winter than I do in the warmer months...(y)
On the feeder I would like to say I go down to a 3 hole feeder in winter but generally tend to end up using a big 5 hole all year round, just cast less often in winter.

Carmody

Brilliant session mate. Like you I’ve been thinking of fishing Larford for some time. This has motivated me to have a go.

Did you just turn up, or did you pre-book?