Have you peaked yet.

Line Clip

As we all no sportsmen reach a point were they reach the top of there game at a certain age, I was talking to one of the Anglers in
our club, about his achievements in match, angling,
Because of his outstanding ability at Club level , canal, and commercials ( picking up money regular, in fact the lads say we top up his
pension fund each week :) there is the clue,) he claims to have reached the peak twenty years ago, and it was then he could win
matches in the bigger league, but now in his sixty's he would just make the numbers up.
So the club match becomes a leveler to success to cover for the increasing age ,

Out of our CLUB match anglers, the average age is about sixty with just the odd one or two in their forty's .
they being the young ones, with sadly no juniors .

We keep learning different ways and methods to catch more fish, and tackle gets better all the time, as was said by many anglers in
a previous thread ,their angling has improved, but HAVE YOU PEAKED YET. regarding match fishing ability.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
As we all no sportsmen reach a point were they reach the top of there game at a certain age, I was talking to one of the Anglers in
our club, about his achievements in match, angling,
Because of his outstanding ability at Club level , canal, and commercials ( picking up money regular, in fact the lads say we top up his
pension fund each week :) there is the clue,) he claims to have reached the peak twenty years ago, and it was then he could win
matches in the bigger league, but now in his sixty's he would just make the numbers up.
So the club match becomes a leveler to success to cover for the increasing age ,

Out of our CLUB match anglers, the average age is about sixty with just the odd one or two in their forty's .
they being the young ones, with sadly no juniors .

We keep learning different ways and methods to catch more fish, and tackle gets better all the time, as was said by many anglers in
a previous thread ,their angling has improved, but HAVE YOU PEAKED YET. regarding match fishing ability.
I hope not ,i need to get much better

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I dont think i will beat the 12 year i had with my last club, winning the league 11 times and second the time i didnt. My attention at the moment is back to where i started as a kid on the Rivers, but i will deffo be back on the matches either in a club or on the opens.

IanG1

Site Supporter
I have had 25 years away, stopped at 25 and back fishing again at 50 and nothing like the standard I was in my youth. Looking back things came more naturally to me back then and I seem to think about things more than I ever remember having to as it just seemed to happen. The development journey I was on needed more commitment than I was able to give with work and family etc and hence me loosing my away and drifting from the sport. Been on a massive relearning curve the past 3 years and see a spark in me at times that takes me back. No youtube or social media to put yourself out there in them days so doing the business on matches and getting noticed was more difficult as was finding out about how others approached things as you had to sit behind them. Now loads of top lads take you through everything in a 20 minute video while your sat on the sofa with a brew.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Haven’t started match fishing yet so no idea! Do think I’ve come on a lot as an angler in the last say 5 seasons though, just grow with experience don’t you really.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
My best was 90's to early noughties... going back to 12hr night shifts screwed my game up no end... didn't know what day of the week it was let alone what method or rig I should be using... all done and dusted now though... still go carping and still chuck a method feeder out occasionally and prise a nugget off me mate....

smiffy

Site Supporter
Probably. I’d like to think I could go back to the matches I used to fish and be competitive but I’d have a massive amount to learn on commercials. I got lazy and that’s one thing you really can’t afford to be.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I think it's a difficult but interesting question. Do anglers reach a peak? When you think that new gear, tactics, baits come out more or less daily, then you never stop learning, so how can you reach your peak?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I think it's a difficult but interesting question. Do anglers reach a peak? When you think that new gear, tactics, baits come out more or less daily, then you never stop learning, so how can you reach your peak?
In matches the younger lads/guys are stronger,faster, quicker thinking ,their brains are sharper , no doubt about it

smiffy

Site Supporter
I think there’s a reluctance amongst some of the older generation to take onboard some of the newer ways of thinking commercials have brought with them and it’s easier to lose motivation as everything you’ve learnt over the years goes, somewhat, out of the window. Certainly true in my case 😉.
I could probably step back into club matches without any problem whatsoever but it’s difficult for me to learn a completely different mindset that goes with commercials. Despite having some success when I did try them. Plus, like chefster says, younger brains are just more on the ball.
Wether all that means I couldn’t do it if I set my mind to it and I’m past my peak? I don’t know🤷‍♂️

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
In matches the younger lads/guys are stronger,faster, quicker thinking ,their brains are sharper , no doubt about it
I think that a lot of it is down to the venues and target weights, I like to think that I can still compete if it's not down to an out and out fish race but if it comes down to speed to catch 2-300+lbs I won't be at the races.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
If you're in your 50s and still haven't reached your peak you weren't trying hard enough as a youngster!

I remember reading that a match angler reaches their peak in mid 30s. Build up enough experience before then, but beyond there mental and physical decline set in.
That was written in the 70s, and I think there is plenty of current proof that the peak lasts for a long time!

Me - mid 50s and I've been bumbling along at "just above average" since I was early 20s.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
If you're in your 50s and still haven't reached your peak you weren't trying hard enough as a youngster!

I remember reading that a match angler reaches their peak in mid 30s. Build up enough experience before then, but beyond there mental and physical decline set in.
That was written in the 70s, and I think there is plenty of current proof that the peak lasts for a long time!

Me - mid 50s and I've been bumbling along at "just above average" since I was early 20s.
As I put in my previous post, I peaked a long time ago,all downhill now

Stewie74

Site Supporter
I bloody hope not, I’ve only been fishing for 4 months, and have only fished 2 matches!!

Lots to learn, and plenty of improvement still to come 👍