Have you knowingly cheated in a match?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Where do you draw the line between cheating/gamesmanship/skill? The old trentmen would 'steal' your fish if they were pegged above you by feeding halfway down their swims; skill imho.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I must be honest I've just read the Andy Power incident, and found it crazy? o_Oo_OWhen the guy had one several matches (if I read it correct) what has trimming a few bits of grass do? The worlds going mad, for this non match angler? You should see what the carp boys do at times?:eek::eek:

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
At average club level, what is really to be gained by cheating anyway?
A few quid? Bragging rights at the pub? Your name in the local paper? Or at the end of the year, a tacky trophy which you know you don't deserve anyway? It's pointless.
I actually feel sad for anyone who thinks it is worthwhile to cheat. Their lives are clearly missing something.
:(

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
Rick are you sure you read the Andy Power account ? I suspect you might be referring to Andy Bennett many years ago :p .
my very quick opinion is that if he was intentiaonally cheating why would he discard the banned bait in front of the owner ? That makes no sense at all.......

Any way back to topic......I abhor any form of cheating. Ignorance is not acceptable, its easy to ask if unsure. Genuine mistakes are commonplace, accept your fate gracefully. But if you dilerately cheat......you'll get no support from me and we'll not be shaking hands again. Is it really worth tarnishing your reputation ? And once found it stays with you for a very long time.......

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
Never cheated and even in one open match many many moons ago i even corrected them as they were about to give me over a grand in winnings that i hadnt won! was a 100+ pegger and cant remember the venue, was a long long time ago but was a snake lake, anyway i paid my £15 entry but not the £5 superpool and £5 golden peg, as i couldnt afford too back then, it was my first visit to the venue as well, and i had no chance of winning!

anyway i was drawn on one of the golden pegs (was 2 or 3 that were running for months and so many anglers as xmas match and the golden pegs were all £500 plus (might have been £1000 plus from memory) so worth winning!

anyway 5hrs later not only did i win my section, i won the entire match!!!!! so at the presentation i got called up and announced as section winner, match winner, superpool winner and golden peg winner! so everyone clapping and i walked up and they just shoved the envelopes in my hand so had to tell them i wasnt in the superpool or golden peg, the guy looked at me like i was nuts so told them again and they checked the sheet and confirmed and i know i handed back over a grand that day!

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
my pet hate is people saying its not cheating its "bending the rules" or even "stroke pulling"!!!! its cheating!!!!!

Even heard of one the other day i hadnt even considered which was anglers putting liquids on their nets so when they put then in 15 mins before the start the fish have 15 mins of being drawn to the smell!!!! i hate cheating in any form

azt1

Site Supporter
Do you have any "Facts, Stats & Evidence!" to prove your frankly, ludicrous story, ginger, because if you dont then what you have just written could be seen as a form of cheating?

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
what on earth? the above is cheating, i never did it, someone told me that they have seen it, someone i trust so enough facts for me, if i saw anyone cheating you can be sure they would be reported and disqualified! really not sure what your point is?!?!?!

my comment "i hadnt even considered" is i hadnt even thought of people even doing that in the first place! i find any form of cheating abhorrent and find it disturbing people even cheat in the first place. i am guessing you are one of the people who are in the "its stroke pulling not cheating" camp?

by the way what is "ludicrous" about my own story that happened to me? (presuming you are referring to that? (and i wouldnt call any of the above amusing) you may want to look up the term ludicrous to understand that

Last edited:

Marker50

Site Supporter
New to match,s.
Would towing a net behind my remote boat be cheating.
Only in my peg though.

azt1

Site Supporter
yes that little tale was stupid enough but I am actually referring to the 100 peg+ match you won . you cant remember where or when and no-one else could remember that you hadnt paid into various pools etc. Ludicrous

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
lol not even going to bother replying to you and its over 20 years ago so nope! another one on the ignore list lol

go back and hide under your rock again, i am quite happy that i do not lie and i do not cheat, what you believe makes zero difference to me

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
At the end of the day I originally posted this thread to try to counter the "I've heard" type rumours that keep cropping up on threads such as the Andy Power one.

I think the thread has run its course and proven my point that cheating in match fishing is incredibly rare.
from the replies
  • one person admits to having deliberately cheated (on one occasion).
  • A few have broken rules by accident or lack of care, especially as match newbies
  • And a few have witnessed people being caught cheating.
Given that many of us have over 30 years match fishing experience - I think that says it all.

@Dave - Time to lock the thread Mods please?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.