Have you knowingly cheated in a match?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I fished up to a overhanging tree thinking nothing of it but was told by a bloke on the opposite bank that I was fishing past half way to the next peg. My logic was there was no way the bloke on the next peg could fish there, never thought it was past half way as I couldn’t see him. I saw the point and fished the opposite side.

On a few occasions I have had someone fish what technically was my swim "Because you can't reach that spot from your peg". It's still my swim, not yours! The limits of an Angler's swim is a simple definition, halfway to the next angler/platform. Anything beyond that is not your swim, simple.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Before I joined my match club they had a canal match that was won by an angler sitting out for carp that he knew were in the stretch. One fish was enough to win. Another member apparently went ballistic insisting that it wasn't right to win a canal match with a carp.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I am a bit confused now. If a fishery sells expander pellets are you not allowed to feed them?

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I would never knowingly cheat in a match! I was once the match sec for an Army club and we were fishing the river Weser in Germany, while fishing I watched a dead, (rotting) Bream came past and later over the match an additional four dead Roach. I didn't think anything of it untilI was weighing in, one of the guys had the dead Bream and four dead Roach in his net! I refused to weigh them, but said that I would weigh his live fish, to say it nearly came to blows was an understatement! Another time when fishing a match in May in Holland a mate said after the match, ' the spawning Bream were so close that I tried to net them'- WTF!

mattnewark

Not me personally but my mate on the next peg who rarely match fishes but came along for a club match.

About an hour in I said "are you on the feeder fishing across?"

He replied, "Feeder across and float down the edge"

He was fishing 2 rods at the same time lol. About 4 anglers heard his reply and he was quickly reprimanded and bantered for the whole week after. He didn't realise you could only fish one road at a time as he used to pleasure fish with two all the time.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I would never knowingly cheat in a match! I was once the match sec for an Army club and we were fishing the river Weser in Germany, while fishing I watched a dead, (rotting) Bream came past and later over the match an additional four dead Roach. I didn't think anything of it untilI was weighing in, one of the guys had the dead Bream and four dead Roach in his net! I refused to weigh them, but said that I would weigh his live fish, to say it nearly came to blows was an understatement! Another time when fishing a match in May in Holland a mate said after the match, ' the spawning Bream were so close that I tried to net them'- WTF!

Although you may not knowingly have broken rules I am willing to bet that at some point you unwittingly have. Decoy have a "minimum 12 inches of line from float to pole" rule. Yet I see many people ignore that rule, misjudge 12 inches or set their float deeper during the match reducing the line above the float after setting the distance at 12 inches. There is also a misunderstanding by some that the rule only applies to fishing up in the water. I have clarified that the rule applies to all styles of pole fishing and have the 12 inch length marked on my side tray.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I am a bit confused now. If a fishery sells expander pellets are you not allowed to feed them?

I've fished quite a few commercial open matches and some of them state in the rules " only fishery feed pellets to be fed although your own pellets can be used on the hook"
I have gone to commercials where they sell feed pellets in bags for £2.50 a kg which is cheaper than the branded £3.50 a bag but they do not insist you fish with them, there you can normally feed expanders.
Matchmen nowadays really should familiarize themselves with the rules the night before or on the day, the amount of times I have mentioned to people during a match that they are not supposed be using a certain bait, "I didn't know that" is the normal reply, ignorance is not an excuse.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Neil, you would be wrong mate! I have never fished a commercial venue in my life. The club I belong to and the matches that I fish in Holland have simple, understandable rules, that everybody can and does follow., nothing complicated, same rules year in year out mate.

Whisker

Site Supporter
On a few occasions I have had someone fish what technically was my swim "Because you can't reach that spot from your peg". It's still my swim, not yours! The limits of an Angler's swim is a simple definition, halfway to the next angler/platform. Anything beyond that is not your swim, simple.

Whisker

Site Supporter
Ye, I didn’t realise Neil, I couldn’t see a peg and couldn’t see an angler. I was a little embarrassed and rectified my mistake immediately, lesson learnt.

Foul hooked

I used to Help John Brennan run the LPR matches for quite some years and have seen a bit of cheating but not much, fish passing in a team event once, a fellow team mate in a lower team tipping his fish back as he had beaten an a team angler, using pole pots whilst on the feeder two rods in the water, potting a bomb in across in a pole pot on a snake lake, meat ban in place so anglers using that meat groundbait that you could buy in a can halibut pellet ban so anglers wrapping halibut paste around their pellets lordy I have seen it all ;-) No floating baits yet loads of floating pellets being blown down the fishery
As i don't fish matches these days would not have known that was not permitted. I have done this when fishing in windy conditions to keep my loose feeding tight both when fishing a feeder and waggler when it is not possible to fish a pole properly or use a catapult to accurately feed due to the conditions. I can understand using a pole pot to drop a feeder/bomb being disallowed as this would be akin to using a bait boat to place your rigs but not simply for dropping loose feed. Don't understand why it would be against the rules if it is permitted when pole fishing? what if you were fishing the pole, using a pot to feed then switched methods.. surely that bait previously dropped would still be in the swim? or have i misunderstood and you mean using it to actually drop the feeder itself into the water?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I once saw an angler with a fish on the hook, feed a handful of pellets and as the fish came to the feed he netted 3 or 4... apparently this is how the huge weights were achieved on a certain southern stillwater... seems it was common practice....

matt

Site Supporter
I used to fish a well known venue which was fishery pellet only and as far as I could see I was One of the very few anglers who bought a bag of pellets and yet at the end of the match everyone had caught on pellet!

Fished opens where the match organiser draws first and puts his peg straight into his pocket without even looking at it.....once everybody else had drew he would reveal the peg in his hand and low and behold it was always a flier!

Winter league series on a different well known complex, final whistle blew, started packing up and after a few minutes looked up and around the lake and half the field are still fishing, and that happened on most matches of the series!

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
On only my third ever match I prepared some micros using a pellet wetter and absentmindly lifted the pellet wetter out the container and tipped the water in the lake at my feet, there were some micros that got through the mesh and went in the water, before the all in. Didn't make an ounce of difference to the result as the carp were in the margins, but wouldn't take a bait with a hook attached.

I have been accused of cheating in the Wooden spoon match, not putting bait on the hook or using sour casters etc, just so I would retain the coveted wooden groundbait stirrer. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now if by a match you are including rugby matches, then that's a different story, playing at No 7 Open side flanker, it's your duty to bend the laws and get away with it......:D:D Had one match where I was on the opposite side of the scrum to the opposing team's scrum half, who was feeding the ball in, which everytime was travelling all the way through the tunnel to the opposition prop, I just used my boot to scoop the ball back to our props feet, yes illegal as the rules go, but it was a gift, I suppose doing it seven times in the game was a bit naughty though. :D:D

Marker50

Site Supporter
If there is a empty swim next to you can you cast to that peg.
If not using a pole can you bait margins with a long landing net pole with a bait spoon attached

nickg

Try dropping some pellets into your keepnet, you might fatten the fish up a few grams.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
If there is a empty swim next to you can you cast to that peg.
If not using a pole can you bait margins with a long landing net pole with a bait spoon attached

Different venues different rules. you have to check with every venue you go

Some places let you fish up to the next peg if it's free this is in line with the near edge of the platform, some venues only let you fish half way to the next peg even if it's an empty swim.
What you have to remember is if you go to the very limits of your own peg or available spare peg and get the fish feeding really well after a few hours, the fella who is also on the edge of that swim can just land his feeder, float 1 meter away and capitalize on your fish nothing you can do about it.
The other person can also start feeding just one meter away from where you start catching and not even fish it.

Don't get greedy by trying to gain extra lake area other than your own peg, it can go badly wrong.

Never seen the landing net handle and spoon in a match in 45 years, don't complicate things , most margins can be fed by hand, pegs are only 8 to 10- meters apart.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Think I have posted this before.. We had the engraved type pegs and certain anglers felt for a single or double digit number depending in where the bream lived. Overheard them so I wrote numbers on...washing line pegs. Made them look silly and stopped their games.
Same pair would also feed floating casters down their pegs on the Trent and attract gulls to dive bomb the next peg. And their favoured trick was to park behind the fancied peg on a canal, slamming doors etc. When I mentioned this they turned it around and acted innocent. I gave up in the end

Status
Not open for further replies.