Have you knowingly cheated in a match?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I fished up to a overhanging tree thinking nothing of it but was told by a bloke on the opposite bank that I was fishing past half way to the next peg. My logic was there was no way the bloke on the next peg could fish there, never thought it was past half way as I couldn’t see him. I saw the point and fished the opposite side.

On a few occasions I have had someone fish what technically was my swim "Because you can't reach that spot from your peg". It's still my swim, not yours! The limits of an Angler's swim is a simple definition, halfway to the next angler/platform. Anything beyond that is not your swim, simple.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Before I joined my match club they had a canal match that was won by an angler sitting out for carp that he knew were in the stretch. One fish was enough to win. Another member apparently went ballistic insisting that it wasn't right to win a canal match with a carp.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I am a bit confused now. If a fishery sells expander pellets are you not allowed to feed them?

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I would never knowingly cheat in a match! I was once the match sec for an Army club and we were fishing the river Weser in Germany, while fishing I watched a dead, (rotting) Bream came past and later over the match an additional four dead Roach. I didn't think anything of it untilI was weighing in, one of the guys had the dead Bream and four dead Roach in his net! I refused to weigh them, but said that I would weigh his live fish, to say it nearly came to blows was an understatement! Another time when fishing a match in May in Holland a mate said after the match, ' the spawning Bream were so close that I tried to net them'- WTF!

mattnewark

Not me personally but my mate on the next peg who rarely match fishes but came along for a club match.

About an hour in I said "are you on the feeder fishing across?"

He replied, "Feeder across and float down the edge"

He was fishing 2 rods at the same time lol. About 4 anglers heard his reply and he was quickly reprimanded and bantered for the whole week after. He didn't realise you could only fish one road at a time as he used to pleasure fish with two all the time.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I would never knowingly cheat in a match! I was once the match sec for an Army club and we were fishing the river Weser in Germany, while fishing I watched a dead, (rotting) Bream came past and later over the match an additional four dead Roach. I didn't think anything of it untilI was weighing in, one of the guys had the dead Bream and four dead Roach in his net! I refused to weigh them, but said that I would weigh his live fish, to say it nearly came to blows was an understatement! Another time when fishing a match in May in Holland a mate said after the match, ' the spawning Bream were so close that I tried to net them'- WTF!

Although you may not knowingly have broken rules I am willing to bet that at some point you unwittingly have. Decoy have a "minimum 12 inches of line from float to pole" rule. Yet I see many people ignore that rule, misjudge 12 inches or set their float deeper during the match reducing the line above the float after setting the distance at 12 inches. There is also a misunderstanding by some that the rule only applies to fishing up in the water. I have clarified that the rule applies to all styles of pole fishing and have the 12 inch length marked on my side tray.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I am a bit confused now. If a fishery sells expander pellets are you not allowed to feed them?

I've fished quite a few commercial open matches and some of them state in the rules " only fishery feed pellets to be fed although your own pellets can be used on the hook"
I have gone to commercials where they sell feed pellets in bags for £2.50 a kg which is cheaper than the branded £3.50 a bag but they do not insist you fish with them, there you can normally feed expanders.
Matchmen nowadays really should familiarize themselves with the rules the night before or on the day, the amount of times I have mentioned to people during a match that they are not supposed be using a certain bait, "I didn't know that" is the normal reply, ignorance is not an excuse.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Neil, you would be wrong mate! I have never fished a commercial venue in my life. The club I belong to and the matches that I fish in Holland have simple, understandable rules, that everybody can and does follow., nothing complicated, same rules year in year out mate.

Whisker

Site Supporter
On a few occasions I have had someone fish what technically was my swim "Because you can't reach that spot from your peg". It's still my swim, not yours! The limits of an Angler's swim is a simple definition, halfway to the next angler/platform. Anything beyond that is not your swim, simple.

Whisker

Site Supporter
Ye, I didn’t realise Neil, I couldn’t see a peg and couldn’t see an angler. I was a little embarrassed and rectified my mistake immediately, lesson learnt.