Have you knowingly cheated in a match?

Whisker

Site Supporter
I fished up to a overhanging tree thinking nothing of it but was told by a bloke on the opposite bank that I was fishing past half way to the next peg. My logic was there was no way the bloke on the next peg could fish there, never thought it was past half way as I couldn’t see him. I saw the point and fished the opposite side.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I had an opportunity to cheat, but didn't, on a 200 peg open on the Trent. I drew a scales peg, at the whistle I quickly weighed my fish and made my way to the next peg. The chap on it said that he was on the scales as well. I hadn't realised that 2 of us shared the task. I could have written any weight I wanted on my ticket and no one would have known.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Never knowingly, but was accused of it in front of others when match organizer said was I feeding expanders when I won two opens on the same lake on the trot, I just replied no and left it that, was in actual fact feeding 4mm fishery hard pellets and banding 4mm for big F1, some people are sore loosers, good job he was well into his seventies or he would of been on his arse.

Fred Davis

I used to Help John Brennan run the LPR matches for quite some years and have seen a bit of cheating but not much, fish passing in a team event once, a fellow team mate in a lower team tipping his fish back as he had beaten an a team angler, using pole pots whilst on the feeder two rods in the water, potting a bomb in across in a pole pot on a snake lake, meat ban in place so anglers using that meat groundbait that you could buy in a can halibut pellet ban so anglers wrapping halibut paste around their pellets lordy I have seen it all ;-) No floating baits yet loads of floating pellets being blown down the fishery

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Can't say I've knowingly cheated but seen a few,Chairman of HAJAC who was an MBE disqualified for fishing before the whistle,he argued against it but the bream in his net was a giveaway,father and son noted Fen matchmen turning up at the last minute for an unrecorded draw then picking a fancied peg if it hadn't been drawn,we went across the river in a punt and they were the last ones on it and an OAP member in our club who fished an extra rod down the side with a worm on for perch,when I brought it up at a committe meeting the Chairman said he was the longest standing member of the club and they turned a blind eye to it.

The Runner

Embarrassment time , Winter League on the Thames at Radley. After an hour or so pace started picking up so decided to additionally set up a big topper for down the middle and dropped straight bomb down the side to fish itself while i set it up. And forgot I'd done it, fished topper for half a dozen runs through before looked down and realised. Thankfully no bank runners had come past, and I hadn't caught on either.

From well over 40 years of matchfishing I would say there's probably more dodgy goings on at club level.
Cant recall much blatant cheating being proved in opens that I've fished although as certain as I can be that a bloke who framed with one big fish just down from me on the Ivel once (he was about fifty yards away and completely hidden by trees) had it well after the whistle. Couldn't prove it so kept my mouth shut.
Did fish one venue regularly where the organiser had a very suspiciously good draw hand- however as one of my teammates pointed out, he was pretty useless so that was one flier you didn't have to worry about.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
There was an incident on the Wharfe winter leagues many years ago when an angler was found to be taking Eels in his rod tubes to matches. Everyone would be struggling but he'd always manage an Eel or two.
I don't know how it came to light but he was caught out and his name was mud on the circuits.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Never knowingly... to be honest the only person you are fooling is yourself...

Total

Site Supporter
We did have one bloke in our club who's drawing arm Picasso would be proud of! :love: :ROFLMAO:......I changed the draw counters to the green milk screw bottle lids with the numbers written in black indelible marking pen.....His drawing arm went down hill very rapidly...;)

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Higher the reward for doing so the more the temptation to cheat.
Everyone has it within them and for some the risk reward can be life changing.

rudd

Site Supporter
We did have one bloke in our club who's drawing arm Picasso would be proud of! :love: :ROFLMAO:......I changed the draw counters to the green milk screw bottle lids with the numbers written in black indelible marking pen.....His drawing arm went down hill very rapidly...;)
During one winter league series of four matches on a 43 peg venue I drew same peg three matches in a row - peg 43!
Figured it out by the third time and actually won a match 😁

rudd

Site Supporter
Higher the reward for doing so the more the temptation to cheat.
Everyone has it within them and for some the risk reward can be life changing.
Some just like to cheat and will do so in public in front of cameras - a few diving footballers spring to mind!

Total

Site Supporter
During one winter league series of four matches on a 43 peg venue I drew same peg three matches in a row - peg 43!
Figured it out by the third time and actually won a match 😁

That takes some doing....Jeez....I'd have drawn peg 44! :love: :ROFLMAO:

Marker50

Site Supporter
Never knowingly, but was accused of it in front of others when match organizer said was I feeding expanders when I won two opens on the same lake on the trot, I just replied no and left it that, was in actual fact feeding 4mm fishery hard pellets and banding 4mm for big F1, some people are sore loosers, good job he was well into his seventies or he would of been on his arse.
I dont fish matches.
Is feeding expanders not done ?

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I dont fish matches.
Is feeding expanders not done ?

You can't feed expanders if the fishery has a rule fishery pellets only, you can use them on the hook but not as feed, I don't know why anyone would want to use them on the hook either if there was a fishery pellet only rule, every fishery I've been to with a fishery pellet rule I always use them on the hook as well.

rob6709

Site Supporter
Never knowingly cheated, have been accused of using too much bait. Fed 6 pints of maggots, club member made up a rule in his head, reckoned there was bait volume limits when there was no such fishery rule, only bait bans such as meat for example.....

rob6709

Site Supporter
You can't feed expanders if the fishery has a rule fishery pellets only, you can use them on the hook but not as feed, I don't know why anyone would want to use them on the hook either if there was a fishery pellet only rule, every fishery I've been to with a fishery pellet rule I always use them on the hook as well.

Feeding expanders is deadly where allowed. You'll start picking off those big skimmers and bream on commercials.