Have you knowingly cheated in a match?

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
so that Andy Power doesn’t get any more undeserved exposure ;)
nor hypothetical situation, observations or rumours!

maybe I’m naive, but I really don’t think much deliberate or accidental cheating goes on in the matches that I fish, I’ve been fishing opens for over 35 years and just haven’t witnessed or heard much ... but perhaps I’m just not observant?
so confessional time:

accidental/unwitting
  • I fished the wrong peg on winter league once (i Was late, we were two short and it was a 90 peg walk to find the captain to determine which of the two pegs ... I picked the wrong one and was disqualified) pre mobile phone
  • I used to leave my top kits in the edge whilst feeding with a Pole pot on canals ... I just didn’t know/think this wasn’t allowed until one of my team told me (fishing at top level 28 years ago)
  • national champs ... scalesmen were stopping every 3 pegs and getting anglers either side to bring their nets to the scales. When the scales stopped at next peg (Steve gardener as it happened) I walked over to ask if I should bring my fish now. The head steward had a meltdown and threatened to disqualify me ... needed to be sorted out by the captain back at the HQ. Strictly speaking it was against the rules, but hardly cheating!

deliberate
  • the one and only time, and i’m still ashamed over 30 years later, even though it made no difference to any results! I had a big perch about 2 pounds follow a minnow in, so I flicked it out again still hooked and snared the perch (and it wasn’t In Yorkshire!)

witnessed
  • Arry’s mate Chris vandershandy will remember this one. Last round of winter league, two teams battling for top position. One of those teams with responsibility for pegging out the match on the canal. The two peggers on the saturday finished pegging out and then sat down off the end of the pegged length to fish for a couple of hours (no competitors allowed for preceding week in those days). these anglers were spotted by the opposition, who’d come down to have a look at the stretch .... immediate complaint (deserved). The league decision was to stop those two from fishing the match, rather than to DQ the team (Very arguable)
  • Moving peg ... seen it a couple of times on matches that I’ve pegged ... neither angler benefited as I knew exactly where to place the pegs to make them most fishable (weed beds etc)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’ve started five minutes before everyone else on one match because I thought I’d heard the all in. Nearly fished the wrong section in a National because we all got dropped off at the wrong section. My peg was at the drop off point so I was well on my way to getting set up when we were all told to get back on the bus. 🙄

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Never knowingly, my reputation and integrity are paramount.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Never knowingly. Had a teammate walking the bank and asked me for my next fish so he could weigh in. Told him to do one and brought it up at the next team meeting. Ended up me being the one to leave.
Only minor,local league stuff but that’s beside the point.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Fished the wrong peg by accident it used to be a lower number but they had added earlier pegs and renumbered them but there was no number on mine
Fished half an hour later but started half an hour later as did the whole section as nobody remembered the times changed on the last day to allow people to head off to the ferry.
Both in Ireland.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I also fished the wrong peg by accident on the Lancaster Canal. The guy who did the pegging walked up & said I was on his peg. I showed him the paper the peg number was written on & it showed my number. On closer inspection it turned out there were two bits of paper stuck together.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Never cheated on purpose or by mistake.

When I was younger though fishing kids matches I witnessed a kid pretending to plumb up with a cadpot full of groundbait / pellets each ship.
Didn't mention anything, didn't really care. He'd be at the bottom of the scoreboard just about every match so it meant nothing at the end of the day lol.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
No, because you're not just cheating in the match..you're cheating yourself if you frame. Framing knowing that cheating got the frame?..Not for me.

rudd

Site Supporter
Nope but been accused of cheating in a match and of fixing a draw!
Both unfounded accusations orchestrated by same party who also accused me of other things to which they made up and had zero evidence!
During last seconds of the match a member saw me hook and land a rather large carp on a top two in seconds - I was accused of netting a fish swimming past. Did not even frame in the match😄
Fixing the draw - third parties helped with and witnessed the draw.
Also proved they made the other stuff up during a committee meeting which they promptly dropped.
I resigned not long after as could not be arsed with club politics and the hassle of an unpaid position.

pies

Site Supporter
The definition of a cheat

“act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage“

so i say its not possible to unwittingly cheat.

lp1886

Site Supporter
My very first match I was unaware that you couldn’t feed before the ‘all in’, so whilst plumbing up my pole line I put a pouchful of maggots over my float to gauge the distance.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Never have and don't ever remember seeing anyone else cheat. Only so many ways you can cheat. Biggest temptation has been scooping up a dead fish on a canal match, never done it though.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
The definition of a cheat

“act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage“

so i say its not possible to unwittingly cheat.
fair point - so not all rule breaking is cheating (interesting angle for the Andy power discussion).

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
If you mean have I done something knowingly that is against the MMRs? Then yes.

Did I think it would give me an unfair advantage? No.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
that's the point of this thread Mick - my opinion is that it's vastly exaggerated and hardly ever happens - other than minor indiscretions that make zero difference.
obviously if others have a different experience ....

pies

Site Supporter
Thats the point im saying. If a bloke comes down to you and says “your cheating” well if you dont know the rules your not “cheating”. Ok we should know the rules but how many of us go to a match and read the rules before EVERY match
So until its pointed out to you you are not cheating just breaking the rules. If after its pointed out that you are breaking the rules you carry on then you are cheating. IMHO a very big difference

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Accidentally fished the wrong peg once - the club had pegged a stretch of river booked from another club - my match peg (should have been a red marker) had the same number as a permanent peg number (black marker) on the bank - only picked up about half hour in but I was allowed to continue since it hadn’t been specified in the draw since they didn’t realise it could happen.

Made no difference to the result as the known fliers smashed the rest of us.