Have you ever bought something and wondered if you've made the right decision?

Dicky Bird

The Cadence reels I had were not good in my opinion. Line lay was bad, the clutch had a mind of its own and if you chose to back wind instead of using the erratic clutch you stood the risk of actually unwinding the handle. I found them so bad that I gave, yes, gave them away and included postage!
I have a few cadence reels and i think they are just ok. MMS is right about the line lay - i have 3 cs10s (the top model) and line on all of them lies to the bottom of the reel, even with all of the washers removed. There is also a consistent issue with the bail arm sometimes not opening in the standard opening position - i’ve seen that reported on here before. The best things about them are the shallow spools, the light weight and small size. The clutch is okay (not brilliant) and i don’t mind the screw-in handle, never had one come undone when back winding, as you’re not usually applying force on the handle when doing so.

I’ve recently bought a couple of daiwa tdm, which (discounted at fishing republic) are the same price as the cs10. For me, the daiwa is a vastly superior reel, better engineered, smoother, better line lay, fantastic clutch, functional bail arm, folding handle etc. If you can find the tdm on offer, go for the these. Just be aware that they are physically larger and heavier than the cadence reels, so a 2500 daiwa is about the same physical size as a cadence 3000

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I was sold by the blurb that the Abu Suveran was the best engineered spinning reel in the world.
It IS very smooth, but it's as ugly as an ugly thing -

ABR 215-2.jpg

TiggerXFM

I once bought a cane rod with the intention of using it for trotting for barbel, when it arrived and I handled it I was horrified 😱.
It was back in the post office on it's way back to the seller within twenty minuites 🙂.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I would have said that was a big problem....:oops::ROFLMAO:
I was told about it after I bought them, didn't believe it and thought it could be due to 'user error' until it happened to me a few times. Still could be!

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
A Preston XS5 seatbox. I had convinced myself that I needed a "modern" type box to replace my trusty Kiley and Matchbox babies. I think the Preston was a second gen model as it had the later catches. Anyway I saw one in my local tackle shop. Had a sit on it, liked the platform and the layout of the drawers. Also liked the way I could attach all the accessories I would ever need...

Deal done and I should have realised the weight of the thing when I almost popped a plum loading it into my car. Still love is blind.

I kept it a few years and it was excellent but so, so heavy for me especially on wet, slippery riverbanks.

Went back to using a Matchbox for rivers and a Preston XS3, less footplate for commercials/stillwaters. Although I am in the process of changing the XS3 to another Matchbox I picked up awhile ago from NEJohn.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I bought a Shakespeare tip rod based on a few in a thread on here saying how good it was. I knew it was no good as soon as I took it out the bag, poor finish, terrible ring spacing and it just felt ‘wrong’. I put it together in the garage, put a reel on and threaded it up, yep, it was dire. I gave it to a mate who coaches kids….. lesson learnt, don’t buy cheap tackle even if others recommend it! It never saw the water in my possession.

Total

Site Supporter
I bought a Shakespeare tip rod based on a few in a thread on here saying how good it was. I knew it was no good as soon as I took it out the bag, poor finish, terrible ring spacing and it just felt ‘wrong’. I put it together in the garage, put a reel on and threaded it up, yep, it was dire. I gave it to a mate who coaches kids….. lesson learnt, don’t buy cheap tackle even if others recommend it! It never saw the water in my possession.
At least you didn't have to file down the top quivertip ring(s) like you had to do on the Cadence feeder rod!:unsure::whistle:

Reuben

Site Supporter
thanks for that info mate . think i will have a look at something else lol
I’ve got 2 Cadence reels - the 5 & 6 in size 3000. Nothing wrong with them imo. As someone has previously said - horses for courses. I bought an Okuma Epix V2 4000 & didn’t get on with it at all. Doesn’t mean others won’t.

Davecalver

I feel that way about the Rive box I bought earlier this year, it’s a cracking solid bit of kit, but instead of loading in the back of the van, I’m sat with a cup of tea reading this, the thing is so heavy It puts me off, but I know when I get it in position it’s the best place to be for a days fishing.
I have an old Rive 36 and bought a Preston Inception 360 as it was lighter and for the swivel seat
Hated it, so got the old Rive out, dispensed with all trays and put anything I needed to take in a carryall, and fitted a, jury-rigged, swivel seat
The Rive without trays is relatively light, totally stable, and I never pull out a tray to get something and spill the whole contents on the bank or in the drink
I think if you only use the box to sit on and to support attachments you might just avoid back problems and spillage

Griffo

Site Supporter
I have an old Rive 36 and bought a Preston Inception 360 as it was lighter and for the swivel seat
Hated it, so got the old Rive out, dispensed with all trays and put anything I needed to take in a carryall, and fitted a, jury-rigged, swivel seat
The Rive without trays is relatively light, totally stable, and I never pull out a tray to get something and spill the whole contents on the bank or in the drink
I think if you only use the box to sit on and to support attachments you might just avoid back problems and spillage
That’s a very fair point just spent the day removing or swapping trays, I need 120mm above the frame to be the right height so I now have a 30mm tray with mi bits and bids and 90 mm deep section for spools hook lengths waggles, the removable trays in the bottom now have pole floats. It’s a great box and I just need to make it lighter as you say👍🏼