Have you ever bought something and wondered if you've made the right decision?

MrBen

Site Supporter
I feel that way about the Rive box I bought earlier this year, it’s a cracking solid bit of kit, but instead of loading in the back of the van, I’m sat with a cup of tea reading this, the thing is so heavy It puts me off, but I know when I get it in position it’s the best place to be for a days fishing.
I’m pleased you’ve said that I looked at an rws build looked lovely but the weight so I’m still with my absolute white 30mm

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
You can't properly judge any item of tackle until it's used in anger. It's inevitable that many items you buy will fall short of expectations. Sometimes it's because you prefer the thing it replaced (or potentially replaced). Sometimes things don't work quite the way you expected or like. Even weight and balance can feel that bit different when something is used in the reel world.

I've tried everything from hooks, disgorgers and shot to rods, reels and chairs (and everything in between) that I've ended up not liking that much. Unless it's a really big purchase, that probably doesn't result in genuine regret but the disappointment is largely the same. The opposite side of the coin is trying something with no great expectations and finding that it's excellent.

squimp

Site Supporter
I have a love/hate relationship with feeder rods.

I spent years looking for the right rod for specimen roach fishing and eventually found a Superteam Quattro that was excellent.

These days Im looking for heavier rods and have a nice old Daiwa one. But a recent Tricast purchase proved too heavy….That’s the one I’ve swapped with Zerkalo as he had a medium version surplus to requirements.

As Sam has just said, until I use it the jury is still out.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I suppose it's like an old pair of boots, new ones just don't have the same feel to them until they become old, and so the cycle continues

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Other than the 'Distance' rod mentioned above that I swapped with squimp, my MatchBox, probably would have gone OctBox if I bought again.

stump28

Bought an Acolyte Plus feeder rod once based on a waggle and a natter with the guy in the tackle shop. Also bought some extra more sensitive tips for it as I thought the default ones were too heavy. Absolutely decent rod but I never felt comfortable with it. For me the butt was too long and kept catching on my upper arm . Then there was the odd creaking sound (spigots?) when netting a bigger fish. I sold it and bought a Browning Sphere rod - much happier
Creaking from my acolyte carp waggler on bigger fish, seems to be standard on these rods!

Tommyshrews

I bought the daiwa SLR 11ft BU tournament feeder rod 2021 but prefer my 2019 model expensive mistake only used couple of times put it on eBay and gumtree

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Reels. Especially mid range. I now have a collection of them that will no doubt be passed on at some point. Once I discovered the PI Centris NT range all other reels just pale into insignificance. The Middy I bought to match the G5 waggler rod has a line clip that acts alone and will clip up on the cast... very Fking annoying! The Cadence reels, don't go there... So bad I gave them away!! Diawa Sahara, looked nice but playing fish was troublesome on the drag, I just couldn't gel with it either, a bit of a stretch to the top of the spool, didn't turn over and click the bail arm as smoothly as I wanted and was kind of a "it will do" ish... The Preston NT's on the other hand are in a class of their own. Not cheap, not cheap at all.. But by God are they good!

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
@Dave I’ve got the MAP top kit case and I just don’t get on with it. The fact it doesn’t fully open drives me mad and it’s too short for most of my elasticated top kits. Take it back while you still can. I’ve gone back to tubes.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
Creaking from my acolyte carp waggler on bigger fish, seems to be standard on these rods!
I found that somewhat alarming. I think it may be to do with the spigots, but creaking rods tend to worry me. No creaks on the Sphere one, or my Shimano Speedmaster

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
@Dave I’ve got the MAP top kit case and I just don’t get on with it. The fact it doesn’t fully open drives me mad and it’s too short for most of my elasticated top kits. Take it back while you still can. I’ve gone back to tubes.
Thanks Mark, I bought the XL case which is 1850 long and all my top-kits fit in it, even some long match kits. However not fully opening is one of the things bugging me, perhaps it'll become more flexible with age.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Thanks Mark, I bought the XL case which is 1850 long and all my top-kits fit in it, even some long match kits. However not fully opening is one of the things bugging me, perhaps it'll become more flexible with age.
It won’t

stickfloatkev

stickfloatkev
Reels. Especially mid range. I now have a collection of them that will no doubt be passed on at some point. Once I discovered the PI Centris NT range all other reels just pale into insignificance. The Middy I bought to match the G5 waggler rod has a line clip that acts alone and will clip up on the cast... very Fking annoying! The Cadence reels, don't go there... So bad I gave them away!! Diawa Sahara, looked nice but playing fish was troublesome on the drag, I just couldn't gel with it either, a bit of a stretch to the top of the spool, didn't turn over and click the bail arm as smoothly as I wanted and was kind of a "it will do" ish... The Preston NT's on the other hand are in a class of their own. Not cheap, not cheap at all.. But by God are they good!
are the cadence reels no good. ive been looking at buying a couple

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
The Cadence reels I had were not good in my opinion. Line lay was bad, the clutch had a mind of its own and if you chose to back wind instead of using the erratic clutch you stood the risk of actually unwinding the handle. I found them so bad that I gave, yes, gave them away and included postage!