Have I been struck by the zippy curse??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Can anyone tell me whether this strange curse known as the "Zippy curse" be transmitted thro' the net?[?]
Cus I think that this week I have surely been dealt a blow with it.[:(!]
First the washing machine packs up to find it ONLY needs a new motor (can't fit new brushes cus it's an induction motor)COST? 180.00+VAT
cost of m/c? 199.00 WHY????
Second the cooker decides to blow oven elements and two rings.[:(!][:(!]
Last but not least the wife's blasted car decides to start overheating.[:(!][:(!]Two days later and still working on it no cure pouring water/anti-freeze mix in, bleed let stand water disappears from heater hoses and top hose, refill repeat same happens again, no apparent leaks (GOD I SO HATE BLOODY RENAULT CARS!!!![:(!][:(!][:(!])
There seems to be a build up of pressure in the system which when the overflow bottle top is released there's alot of bubbling. does this point to blown head gasket anyone help PLEEEES.
If I get her car going again I can have mine back and go fishing.

OK rant over I feel a bit better now.

Bluey

Born To Fish
Forced To Work

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Blue

Check all the hoses are tight , remove the sparkers & using a piece of kitchen towel check each cylinder to see if they are dry.

Check carpet inside car & see if that is dry (renaults are famous for heater matrix self destruction).

If all else fails scrap it n buy her a new un (well second hand new)

Alan

I'll have a fiver on the black un

scoobs11

perhaps a nice rover eh troggy !!!!

i'll have a fiver on the brown one

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
The curse is real take my word for it. BUT only after meeting and fishing with him.

chill out go fishing

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
The zippy curse is broken cos I fished with him and I caught a fish and didn't break a thing. On the river Soar while I was at Skylarks

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

Polepot

Poles
Geoff,

Time will tell, it sneakes up when you are not expecting it. Be aware, keep looking over your shoulder, then look forward and it will smack you in the face. - The moment you relax.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

martin.

Account Locked
hi all
the curse should never be joked about or took in vain it is FACT
hi bluey
a Big welcome to the mad MDs
your wifes car leave it alone & dont get her another itll be one less women driver on the road
tight lines
martin.
(now im in for it)

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Martin god help you if she ever reads this.[:0][:0]
I never got to drive it until the other week and she's had it 14 months, mind you I don't like it it's one of those cars that you have to open the sun roof to be able to sit up comfortably. Otherwise you do a wonderful impersonation of Quasimodo[:D][:D][:D]
I had only been given mine a couple of days as well, now shes using it.
Anyway it's nice to know that "the curse" can only be transmitted by contact.
If your reading this Trev get well real soon mate I really miss your posts and this place aint the same without you, all the best
Bluey

Born To Fish
Forced To Work

AndyA

Does sound like the head gasket doesn't it ..... ouch ..... you need to install a firewall on your pc, that should stop the zippy curse.

Aaaah .... soon be fishing !

crusty

steve
your head gaskets gone, there's a leak between one of the cylinders and the water around it, it will get worse very quickly, and either it will blow a hose, the pressure cap, or the cylinder block,
or it will go the other way and ther'll be a lot of steam, and a flooded cylinder.

If you run it in to the garage make sure your sat down when the give you the bill.

Buy a manual borrow the tools and have a do, how hard can it be?
its just a big puzzle.

crusty

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Bluey,

Okay so we are now on a mission: To get you back on the banks as soon as possible.

To resolve that we need to mend the car so here goes:

When you have filled it up and bled it initially put the expnsion bottle top on as soon as the thermostat opens and any excess air has come out.
Taking the cap off when hot will cause it to boil over regardless as when the water is under pressure it raises its boiling point to over 100oc
Release the pressure and the water will boil as it is already running over normal boiling point.

Once you've bought it up to temperature and run it for a short while till hot. Stop the engine and remove the spark plugs.
Allow to stand and then after half an hour or so crank the engine over whilst watching the plug holes for any water that might be forced out.
Not sure on the model as you haven't said so leave the plugs in the leads when you remove them and ensure that they are touching part of the engine so that they can spark to be on the safe side.

If water comes from the holes then I would say a blown gasket. If not, next....

Is there any sign of water in the oil. If so you will find a creamy, mayonaise under the oil filler and the dipstick. If so again a head gasket or possibly the seal between the bottom of the liners and the block.

No visible leaks? Can you smell antifreeze in the car when the heater is on and the fan is blowing? A sickly sweet smell?
If so check the carpets and under the dash for any wetness.

If not, get hold of another expansion bottle cap and try it again. If the cap is faulty it might not hold the pressure once reached which will cause it to boil over.

After that then either beg, steal or borrow a gas tester from a garage that is similar to an antifreeze tester but checks for exhaust gases in the expansion bottle.

Let me know how you get on and also the model type,

[:)] Dave

Bluey

19/08/02 - 25/08/10
In Memoriam
Thanks for the help lads.
I can now confirm its a blown head gasket as we have brown oily scum floating on the surface of the water in the overflow bottle. I thought I would never have to do this again but looks like half term will be spent up to my armpits in this monstrosity again.
Its a RENAULT 9 auto 1989 vintage don't suppose its done too bad she only paid 60 for it, but its had some work done on it, new tyres for MOT or is it DOE test?
I was planing several trips out this half term I've heard the old Rushden Town Band lakes are now FREE!!!!!! yes FREE to fish, you can find them on the A45 they're found after the second roudabout past the A45/A6 roundabout (used to be really good a couple of years ago) If I get to go will try to do write up and photos.

Bluey

Born To Fish
Forced To Work

Status
Not open for further replies.