Have commercials ruined me?

Joe C

Site Supporter
Having grown up fishing commercials, I have been trying to mix things up a bit by fishing rivers and canals, this isn’t a post designed to knock commercials, I still fish them for silvers and have a great days fishing

Problem I’m finding on more natural venues is that I’m so used to getting a bite within the first hour (at worst) that I struggle to stay longer than 2 or 3 hours if I’m not getting any indication that there are fish around.

Is this normal? Should I be more mobile so I can move pegs easier?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Depends what you’re fishing for? On rivers first half of the season if fishing for silvers I’d expect to get a bite within the first few casts like on a commercial. But even with bigger fish I’d still expect a bite within an hour certainly a couple hours. Doesn’t always work out that way of course just a general rule for me.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It'll also depend on the stock levels. Some commercials tend to be stuffed with fish, whereas some of the 'naturals' tend to look after themselves.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
To be honest on smaller rivers, a more mobile approach is needed... if you are just pleasure fishing a river it pays to be able to upsticks and move quickly if you are not catching... for me thats the fun of rivers.... different swims

tincatim

Site Supporter
If you’ve not had any indications for half an hour I’d be changing things if I were you. Whether that’s moving swims or just trying different baits, feeding patterns, hooklengths etc… you can still fish and feed different lines just like you would on a commercial.
Even on a natural river or canal, you can still expect to get bites. Especially at this time of the year. So if you’re not, change something until you do.

badgerale

If there aren't ready roach/rudd biting at this time of year then there may be a problem with the river - pollution probably.

Most rivers should have plenty of the little uns, it's the bigger fish that can be elusive.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Having grown up fishing commercials, I have been trying to mix things up a bit by fishing rivers and canals, this isn’t a post designed to knock commercials, I still fish them for silvers and have a great days fishing

Problem I’m finding on more natural venues is that I’m so used to getting a bite within the first hour (at worst) that I struggle to stay longer than 2 or 3 hours if I’m not getting any indication that there are fish around.

Have commercials ruined me was the question posed, my answer is.......I don't know, let me have a look at your mouth. LÖL

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
When Chub fishing on the little river I fish, I expect instant bites if they're about. I can't move pegs as only two are available on this weir. I find the tiny Chublets and Dace that are there at the moment a bit of a nuisance and can drive me to giving up for the day. I don't really fish for silvers on the river that much but when Barbel fishing I can sometimes expect to wait 2 or 3 hours for a bite and then they will switch on as the light fades. When I was out on the river yesterday, I was thinking, this is a bit nippy cold and that commercials are probably beckoning for me in a few months as I only fish them in winter when there's heavier frosts and the rivers likely to be in flood.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
My first thought is how are you approaching canals and rivers? Generally you cannot use the same techniques, tackle and bait as a commercial.

Baits tend to be smaller, tackle finer/smaller, location different.

Personally I set myself for a day on river or canal fishing one spot. But then I tend to fish places I know will or should produce. I certainly expect to catch fairly quickly. If not then I get my head down and start to go through everything I know to make things haoppen.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
There are a few things that I notice when long term absentees return to, and newcomers try rivers.
1) They often feed way too much too early and kill their swims.
2) They expect to be able to fish pretty much anywhere and catch fish. Some spots are not even worth looking at.
3) They might try methods and baits that may not be particularly appropriate.
4) Many have little or no concept of slowly building a swim.
5) The concept of 'little and often" and metronomic feeding is forgotten or alien to many.
6) Many lack patience and lose heart rapidly. Some can't accept the realities of not catching huge bags and fair sized fish very regularly.

Some of these things are undoubtedly influenced by the modern commies. I can absolutely understand why many don't bother with rivers and other more natural venues. Every time I have a bad day on my local rivers I think the same thing. A small number of tiddly dace (perch, roach etc) on a difficult day is not exactly inspiring. However, when you do get something a bit special, it's so much sweeter.

bluemack

Site Supporter
There are a few things that I notice when long term absentees return to, and newcomers try rivers.
2) They expect to be able to fish pretty much anywhere and catch fish. Some spots are not even worth looking at.
5) The concept of 'little and often" and metronomic feeding is forgotten or alien to many.
6) Many lack patience and lose heart rapidly. Some can't accept the realities of not catching huge bags and fair sized fish very regularly.

Some of these things are undoubtedly influenced by the modern commies. I can absolutely understand why many don't bother with rivers and other more natural venues. Every time I have a bad day on my local rivers I think the same thing. A small number of tiddly dace (perch, roach etc) on a difficult day is not exactly inspiring. However, when you do get something a bit special, it's so much sweeter.
Spot on Sam,especially #3 and #6. ,they all apply TBH.(y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yep spot on indeed. Swim selection then how to fish and feed that swim can be essential on rivers as there’s often fine margins between right and wrong. All just comes with experience though.

Yeoman

Yep, Sam's nailed it really.
I fish a couple of times a year with a good mate on the river wye, his fishing is all on commercials and nearly always matches and mine is always rivers and never commercials/matches.
Point 2 that Sam makes is very obvious in my mate, closely followed by a strong desire to fill the swim in with bait.
I would also add that a bit of river craft wouldn't go amiss, especially in low conditions, not clumpimg about, and not expecting every fish to be 2 ft from the far bank.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter

No, not 'ruined'. Spoiled maybe, but in a good way. If we go back 50 or even 40 years, there was no such venues as commercials so we had to search natural venues for our quarry to find the holding areas. For an average angler in those days, 10lb of fish caught was a brilliant days fishing. It was in those days that the phrase "it's not the fish you catch that makes you return, but the fish you didn't catch" was born. Our expectations of catching was much lower than todays commercial angler. When the commercials began to spring up everywhere we thought these places were marvellous as we were pretty much guaranteed to catch a lot of fish. But we didn't lose that sense of appreciation for naturals, thus realising that "fishing is not all about catching fish". Another common phrase used today.
You must be able to have a completely different mindset to enjoy natural waters compared to commercials and when you find this mindset you will enjoy fishing naturals and stay longer, just as much as you do commercials. The hunting is as enjoyable as the catching IMO.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Fish a commie, catch a carp... set your stall out for other species, and eventually you get carp... not for me... I prefer a bit of variety... so yes... commercials spoiled my fishing to the degree I won't fish them any more