Have any of you guy`s,,,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren.cox22

ever thought that you can`t be arsed to go fishing ??

For the past 4 or 5 months i have just seemed to get bored of the whole preparation, 5hrs of fishing, weigh in and go home.

Seriously, i just cant be bothered with match fishing any more, opens or club matches. I even missed the last 2 club knock ups because I just couldnt bring myself to fish the canal. [xx(][xx(]

I really dont seem to enjoy it anymore.

I am thinking of trying to get more pleasure fishing in this year, also may set me some targets. Might even sit behind a couple of alarms and just try to enjoy the day instead of always trying to beat the next man.

The wife has told me i will regret it if i sell my match gear, but i am thinking of getting rid and going for carp set up and then try to enjoy being on the bank and chill out.

Have you guys ever felt like this ???

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Yes and dont do it. I've sold up twice before and then started to miss it both times, why not just have a break from fishing and see if you start to miss it, if you dont consider selling then..

batman

My mates have had a go at that carp fishing camping thing, they are now back match fishing. I don't think they could stand waiting 72 hours for a bite.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I can identify with you to an extent. (I dont match fish, but I do pleasure fish).

Having smashed a couple of PBs a few years back, I found it harder to motivate myself to get up and go sometimes and lately I've had few chance to get out on the bank for more than a few hours at a time.

My advice is either:

1) take a break, but dont sell your kit - give it time and you'll get back to it. (I took a whole year off once).

or

2) set yourself a few different targets, say 50lb of tench, or a double figure bream. Something you wouldnt normally catch or fish for.

Above all, dont feel guilty at not wanting to go. Do something else (non fishing even) if you like, and see how you feel. there's nowt wrong with a bit of a change.

The Big Fella

Hi yep,

Certainly have about 6 years ago it was!

I was a member of Mallory and used to fish monday and wednesday night, and on the sunday and most of the rest of "spare time" was done preparing in one form or another rigs, or meat paste at the time running it through riddles for ever it seemed.[:(]

It used to also wind me up when stuff didnt go to plan and the enjoyment definitely went.

So i binned the Mallory ticket and started going where i fancied at the last minute depending on conditions etc.....

If it was blowing a gale I went for a days pleasure fishing with a mate for bream at various places and it was far more enjoyable than getting bogged down doing the same thing on same venues etc.

I have fished maybe 3-4 opens in last 6 years are differing venues and it was great as it was a "change" not the same old same old routine.[;)]

We have had an annual break to Holland or Ireland to differing places plus one long weekend away squeezed in as well [;)]

However I have literally just joined Mallory again but for "pleasure fishing" not the members matches!! with me and a few mates going for the banter and to do some differing stuff to make it interesting.

Things we have discussed is like feeder only knock up, or fish for silvers only, or one of us providing the same bait for everyone to see what we can do with it etc.

The last few years for me was far more enjoyable than all the matches, as it became almost all consuming before.

Dont sell your kit though whatever you do!![;)]

wozelbeak

A change is as good as a rest.
keep hold of your tackle and get out for a few hours with some mates.

i joined a club and match fished last year. i must admit it took some of the enjoyment out of my fishing.
this year i have been pleasure fishing each weekend and enjoyed every minute of it.

i go to a different venue each week with my dad and son. some venues are rubbish fishing but stunning locations.
others have the fish jumping onto the hook but the venues arn't great. this does not matter when you are only there for the relaxation and comradery.
give it twelve months and you might be wanting to woop ass on the match circuit again, who knows.

zenith20

Yeah I have. I missed a whole year when I was 15 I think. Didn't even get a licence. Sometimes I think to myself, I'll go next week but when the time comes, I can't be bothered to go.

As others have said... Don't sell your stuff. It'll be the worst decision you will make!

RUDDLES

i think when we had a close season it did you good cos you knew you was having a break from fishing but now we seem to go more and more im getting fed up at moment so this year im gonna go to different waters and get on rivers more .

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think the problem is down to Match Fishing

As you posted it's all preparation, 5 hours fishing, weighing in and going home - the true buzz from fishing is missed ...

Fishing to me is setting yourself against nature and using learn't watercraft to 'hunt' your quarry.
Going out onto a lake or river and setting your gear down in your chosen spot or roaming the banksides and then pitting your whits against that of the fish - the thrill is in the chase and the catching is the result

With match fishing however it can often be the same ol' same ol'

You turn up, meet up, draw, sit where you've drawn, fish the peg often already knowing if its a good or bad one and the favoured methods for fishing it, wait until you're told to start and stop when you're told to stop.
The competition is not so much against the fish but against the anglers around you, and often you're fishing at the worst times of the day, not sunrise or early evening and sunset.

I used to enjoy match fishing but when that enjoyment went along with it went my tackle, a mistake I soon regretted and being newly married couldn't afford to replace.

Over the years the passion returned and then I went with a couple of work colleagues (Stu being one of them) and the buzz returned.
My only restraints now are work wise and family time and those two cause the biggest conflicts to my fishing time as both are in demand and unfortunatley there's not enough days in a month to fit everything in.

I returned to match fishing a bit as well but this time the emphasis is more on the social aspect rather than the competition and as a reult the majority of my match fishing is against a bunch of reprobates known as Maggotdrowners [:D]

Best advice I can give Darren is go back to basics, cut down on the gear you take with you, arrange a day or evening out with a couple of mates, or even go solo, and rediscover the art of angling, rekindle the passion and drown a maggot [:T]

bobthetrain

I don't match fish, and to be honest it doesn't appeal. Even when I'm fishing with a mate and he suggests we "have a fiver on it" I won't. Thing is, if I want to fish the method, I'll fish it, even if it's not the most productive method on the day. If I want to go for a wander and stretch my legs, I will. Sometimes I just sit there for a while, taking in the sights. I do a bit of carp fishing, only day sessions, but that can be a bind as well. There's a lot of kit to carry and set up, and it can be taken a bit seriously. I have a pole, match/float rod, carp rods, quiver tip, and Avon rod, all of which I use WHEN I FANCY. I also enjoy taking a rod, reel, net, hooks, and freelining bread for chub on the river (minimal kit, no pressure). And I also fly fish on the commercial trout fisheries. Ever tried this? Trout give a fantastic, thrashy, fight, often leaping repeatedly from the water, and again, minimal kit, so you can spend the day wandering around, chatting to other anglers etc. Basically, I think the variety of fishing I do keeps me interested. Do what YOU want. When YOU want. Chill out, and enjoy your fishing. Incidentally, there's no reason you still can't match fish. Just enter the odd 'open' whenever the urge takes you (I think you can do this, can't you?).
I hope this helps, mate. Cheers.

uniden300

dave has hit it in 1 with this ,

( Fishing to me is setting yourself against nature and using learn't watercraft to 'hunt' your quarry.
Going out onto a lake or river and setting your gear down in your chosen spot or roaming the banksides and then pitting your whits against that of the fish - the thrill is in the chase and the catching is the result )

i did the same sold my gear back in the 80s took a long time to get back into fishing started back up in 2001 now realy enjoy it going out in mid week or just on a sunday i just go pleasure fishing now with me mate who all enjoy it and get to show them how to set up cause you never forget , as some of my mates have never fished before ,
dnt sell yer gear you cant replace it just take a break best thing to do

wormdangler

I can identify with you as I have fished matches for the last eighteen years and I am now getting bored with it so I am in the process of setting up to go after some specimen fish.

tag

My advice, don't sell all your gear, just thin it out if you wish, but keep all the essentials, have a break and then go pleasure fishing.
No pressure, no time limits, just pure enjoyment and relaxation!
Good luck!

armstrong1

choppy
i,ve never fished a match , just pleasure fishing, never got bored ,i,m on the bank for 6am and dont leave till dusk once a week , its just time out from the same sh~~t different day syndrome.

darren.cox22

Cheers for the replies chaps.
I have had a think and i`m going to go back to my roots.

I was brought up on the midlands rivers from early years and have decided to hold onto my match gear, but pack it away for a while. Then i`m going to go and buy a couple of bait runners and barbel rods, renew my BAA card and go for a double on the middle severn or an old fave stamford bridge on the teme.

I know the fishing wont be like it was but i`m looking forward now to being the only one on the water, (probaly) and chasing that elusive pb barbel, maybe a few big chub and i also hear there are a few large carp to be had now on the severn around hallow and grimley.

Apart from a couple of matches on another forum i`ve booked onto I think club and open fishing for me is now on hold for 12months, just going to try and enjoy it and get that buzz i used to get the night before going out
[;)]

cess monkey

I match fished for years, then after a fall out with the club i was in i stuck to pleasure fishing.It`s not the same! for the last 2 years i`ve done no coarse fishing at all, i`ve spent most of my time boat and beach fishing and i`ve realy enjoyed it.
This year i`ve got a licence and i`ve been few times and i`m loving it, i`m even considering trying out the open match scene. I will never join another match club but i do enjoy the challenge of competition.
Dont sell your gear! it`s worth sod all second hand and its costing you nothing stored in a cupboard. The cost of setting up again if you decide to can be huge, better to buy a cheap carp set up and try it out before committing to it.

stikflote

Site Supporter
im not selling up ,but i cant find any enthusiasm to do any fishing at all, ive been out a

couple times, packed up after about two hrs, and come home,
seem to be well fed up with fishing

darren.cox22

Originally posted by stikflote

im not selling up ,but i cant find any enthusiasm to do any fishing at all, ive been out a

couple times, packed up after about two hrs, and come home,
seem to be well fed up with fishing

Thats exactly how i feel mate, competitive fishing dont do much for me as its no fun and if i pleasure fish a commercial i have had enough after a couple of hours. A few years ago i could be on the bank for 5am and fish till dark. Hence me trying a different approach, setting a few targets and fishing completely different venues and methods.
But as the guys have said i will not be selling all my gear but storing it, cus ya never know this time next year i might feel the need to send of for some more fisho mania qualifier tickets [;)],,,,,,, but for the next season at least, i will be on the rivers with minimal gear chasing my new pb barbel. Best so far is 13lb 6oz from the teme @ stamford bridge. Thats my target for this year

[:T]

chrishowe425

sure did, i packed in fishing from January last year until last month, all because i lost the passion to go fishing.

its back now tho[:T]

Status
Not open for further replies.