Has the Skill been taken out of photograpy?

Pooner

Account Locked
Carpmon43 - u post as if you are talking in a language that has'nt been invented yet!

carpmon43

tbh i can see half off it..sorry. later it pops out, but thats like anything from an hour to days later.

carpmon43

ok, another answer..

the suto's on a camera automatically set the iso to eather the lowest or the highest for sprots mode(or at least 800iso).
if your in appature they selct a shutter speed, some cameras you can tweek that by the plus or minous AV or what ever, but not by that much, and of course, you have to know when too, or take multiple pictures untill you suss by how many.

on ****ter priority, its similar but just selcts the most apature it can take.. again multiple shots or you need to know.

one fraise from wet film was you can never take enough pictures..why? because only one or two would have been perfect.
another was 'you never know'.. today you can veiw it now and adjust, but you still have to know what too.

'average' 'most of, 'better than manual'... theyre all noddy turms any way.

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
Originally posted by banksy

Originally posted by carpmon43

dohhh you typed it in! hahaha...monty python sketch arrizing [:)]

No I didn't. Look carefully.
[;)]

He probably cant see "wot you rit" 'cause of the "purple haze"[:D]

Beats me how he could see to take a photo.[;)]

prettypictures

"You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" one of the great features of Adobe Photoshop is that you most certainly can create a silk purse out of a sow's ear; in the days of yore when film was predominant then indeed the saying would be true ..... perhaps.

I have spent hours in the darkroom manipulating images reeking of chemical fumes and whisky/red wine ( somehow the computer screen doesn't warrant getting blasted) with opera or hard rock in the background; the digital onslaught have made those processes easier and much more visible.

Has the skill been removed? From me the answer is a definite no; in some respects today's skills are harder won than more analogue days but once acquired perhaps they are easier. However if you are a regular camera club competitor or exhibtion entrant to be successful you need to have a very high understanding of Adobe Photoshop much higher indeed than the equivalent in chemical print processing.

Like yesterday having used worthies like Velvia and Provia I still prefer to get the image right in camera, this leaves me less post processing in L/R or P/S and I can then make a decision as to how long I spend in being creative.

As an aside I agree if somebody can't be bothered to submit a post with some vestige of grammar or spelling it ain't worth reading.

Peter

davylad

Site Supporter
Originally posted by groundhog

Originally posted by davylad

I've never heard so much trash in my life, I have a couple of good DLSR cameras and some very good lenses, but if I want a good end result I wouldn't be without CS5, post editing is a major part of modern day photography, do you remember when a lot of the elitists frowned upon digital cameras when they started becoming popular.
[:)] It has nothing to do with being"elitist" daveylad mate, Just as to whether or not it is taking the skill and ability to take a good Camera shot with the Camera alone out of of photograpy.[:T]

[:)][;)] judging by this part of your above post,"if I want a good end result I wouldn't be without CS5" in your case the Answer is YES it is taking the skill out of taking a good picture using the camera alone,which is what my original post was all about.[:T]
[:D][:D][:D]
Groundhog think about it first mate, I consider myself a reasonably good photographer who likes to get as near as possible a good shot from the camera alone, by trying to get for instance the right depth of field I want, the focus point, the correct exposure etc etc, most of the time I shoot in raw, but even you couldn't guarantee a good shot every time, that's why I wouldn't be without CS5 mate, apart from that I enjoy post processing, what's wrong with that cocker? No I definately don't think going digital has taken the skill away, I still use my canon A1 now and again with very good results, but it doesn't even come close to my 5D Mk2 with what I can do with it.

davylad

Site Supporter
Originally posted by groundhog

Originally posted by davylad

I've never heard so much trash in my life, I have a couple of good DLSR cameras and some very good lenses, but if I want a good end result I wouldn't be without CS5, post editing is a major part of modern day photography, do you remember when a lot of the elitists frowned upon digital cameras when they started becoming popular.
[:)] It has nothing to do with being"elitist" daveylad mate, Just as to whether or not it is taking the skill and ability to take a good Camera shot with the Camera alone out of of photograpy.[:T]

[:)][;)] judging by this part of your above post,"if I want a good end result I wouldn't be without CS5" in your case the Answer is YES it is taking the skill out of taking a good picture using the camera alone,which is what my original post was all about.[:T]
[:D][:D][:D]
Look mate nobody can guarantee a good shot every time, I try to get as much from the camera as I can like, depth of field, focus point, obviously exposure, and good composition. I shoot mainly in raw, but like I said if I need a good shot then I'll use CS5 if I have to, why is my skill level questioned? I put a film through my Canon A1 now and again with very good results, but digital photography has been massive for millions of people all over the world. The answer to your original question is of course it hasn't.

carpmon43

Originally posted by prettypictures

"You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" one of the great features of Adobe Photoshop is that you most certainly can create a silk purse out of a sow's ear; in the days of yore when film was predominant then indeed the saying would be true ..... perhaps.

I have spent hours in the darkroom manipulating images reeking of chemical fumes and whisky/red wine ( somehow the computer screen doesn't warrant getting blasted) with opera or hard rock in the background; the digital onslaught have made those processes easier and much more visible.

Has the skill been removed? From me the answer is a definite no; in some respects today's skills are harder won than more analogue days but once acquired perhaps they are easier. However if you are a regular camera club competitor or exhibtion entrant to be successful you need to have a very high understanding of Adobe Photoshop much higher indeed than the equivalent in chemical print processing.

Like yesterday having used worthies like Velvia and Provia I still prefer to get the image right in camera, this leaves me less post processing in L/R or P/S and I can then make a decision as to how long I spend in being creative.

As an aside I agree if somebody can't be bothered to submit a post with some vestige of grammar or spelling it ain't worth reading.

Peter

well yes to the first part, and nicely put too.

but.. cant be bothered? oooo thats not just below the belt its right up between yu legs and beyond!

here itis in a nut shell, and still is today in parts.

dyslexics are a majour part of the all time greats rangings from sports people to great scientists. theres a huge list of them...not smal, or spelled incorrectly but masive lol!

theres now thought to be 4 majour stains of it. of these four theres a few sub catogories, not if but 4.

sinario.. army school tactiques used to go like this.

'i am a major' you are army kids and i can do as i please'. yu see there was no human rights and unions and that 'mamby pampy' stuff, they would and did carry that to the kids. i.e. the year i was born at one facility they had this game called put plutonium into the bases of the new borns brain, it was pressed and proven, the reply was a simple..'whats it got to to do with you'.
so school life was simple, get the answer right or be thrashed literally sensles, i mean some where past next week, then given a simple order, comply ot get round two.
simples...if teacher was on a man period some kid got it in a painfull manor.

as such, both there and in civy street school, dyslexia only exsisted for the 'higher' members of society where it was deemed as quite a novalty, psycologists asigned and social statous of 'oh our childs quite a dyslexic you know' and woaw..we are so popular with our handicaped kid..
to the less than great and all mighty the 'treatment for t he illness' was simple, HIT THEM HARDER THEYRE LEARN, then follow it up with the mind games of to mentally toryure the thicko... after all they'll go away then.

so, dad leaves the army, and away to civvy street i go, what a joke! instead of ranking kids doing as they please to emulate lord of the flies it was spotty nowts with nothing more than 'poetic wim' trying to rule rooste..yeh full of sh!.te!
first day at the grammer school, ooo so posh to get in the grammer school... 2 weeks in, i get the geograghy teacher over to impres how stupid i was, and to correct a comanly occuring 'reading mistake'.. aftera serious banter of ten or 15 minute running battle i'm at the shouting 'are you f..c.k.ing stupid or what!!' the class is right behind me, but no, it was important that i 'read it properly!!' 'READIT P R O P E R L Y!!!!'
YOU GET THE JIST OF IT.

so, i realise this is going to be one slightly painfull 'hearing' because i'm all but at blows with a female teacher!!? and yup sure enough, 30 minutes later, 'too the heads office now' came the mesenger.

omg! theyve only got my gfather up!! and who are those three blokes.

sat directly over the table it anounsed 'about the leson earlier' blah blah blah and 'we're psycoligists'.. oh cummmon!! wtf??

so some more hi ball mind games etc and 'wait outside'.. no exsplanasions no nothing, and no cain? hu? wtf??

out comes dad and sais dont worry you've got to stay behind after shcool, yes i though got me off with a detension, nice one.

later at the 'detension' i'm given a kidies IQ tester sheet, half way through i get yet another minles abusive attack of your just lazy you are.. and i was left to finish the forms and told i'll be back in five minutes, i left 20 minutes later thinking 'you can stick this sh.i..it right up yu jacksy, and i dont mean a childish rant here i mean right up yu jacksy mix chemicals and blow um down if needs be.

some years later i found out tht was standard dyslexia test, the 'help i got with the dyslexia' was that 5 minute babey IQ test.
my 'learned' exspeience with less iq'ed POMPUS AR,,v..SE holes like your self who have no idia past their own self worth propaganda with the backing of nothing more than lynch mob monty python sketch or the old boys bo..l.l.ox behind them..
i learnes to put up with ruthless elitismn, right down to petty civey kids who though 'i.m going to kill yu' meant they told you ner.. ermm no, as i found to mt loss kids were dying at my old school, when some sais 'kill yu' you eather do them first or they WILL do you.. not bad for a 5 year old hu??

as far as it goes non dyslexics are like in the minority, yet, some how.. 'if it aint speeled and grammered like what i do' it 'aint worth reading'..

it begins in a quaint summer village where neval, the motherly pampered idiot desided he knew..

meanwhile the others who did knew had a little message

p...i..ss orf neville.

if i could i would!!!

on behalf of all the people that wilfuly abused my mind and my body over the years, with nothing more than dyslexia as a justificasion.. lets meat up and discuss it, i have a handle for this, no not on but especialy for.. thats the 'discusion' i was suffered as kid right up untill i was 35, when i was graced in the knowladge that yes i am dyslexic and or but, as a compatant mong theres nothing to do help as you know already, or heres yu computa..

it is you that can NOT see mate..in every more inportant way.

ever thought of joining the clan? same thing...