Hardest fighting fresh water british fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfisher

In my opinion the barbel and im not talking commercial pond barbel but the wild river barbel is the hardest fighting fresh waterfish that graces our rivers. I have been lucky enough to encounter this beautiful fish on a number of occasions and it has never dissapointed. Its first run, the one straight for the roots is something you have to experience to understand it bends the rod through the butt and my father had rods snap in the past under the strain. It saddens me too see fishermen targeting these fish with 12 pound line when 8 pound matched with a correct action rod will suffice. I have it however from reliable sources that salmon give it a run for its money i hope one day iwill find outfor my self.

What is your opinion which fish gets the title of the hardest fighter ?

jacko the wacko

I have to agree its the barbel for me to,saying that a river carp can fight a bit too.
I think it depends how beefed up your gear is,ive been lucky enough to catch several large barbel on the float on a 4 pound bottom they hung on a bit i can tell you.[;)][:T]

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Dace

on light stick gear,

fight right to the net and then some

BAG UP

SINGLE RED
I'm sorry to say but using 12lb line is a must, i would rather fish heavy for a barbel then light, i would rather get the barbel in quick time then take far to long sodding about on light lines, i would rather use heavy lines then leave your rig still attached to a barbel just because you feel that using heavy lines is wrong .

greentura

Greenie
gonk[;)] no? [:D] barbel, sacrilege to fish for them like carp, 11' 1 1/4 avon and a pin with 8lb line and a size 8 hook in a lump of meat[:T]

salmon are like carp with a lobotomy i'm told[;)]

jacko the wacko

Originally posted by BAG UP

I'm sorry to say but using 12lb line is a must, i would rather fish heavy for a barbel then light, i would rather get the barbel in quick time then take far to long sodding about on light lines, i would rather use heavy lines then leave your rig still attached to a barbel just because you feel that using heavy lines is wrong .

Hi mate if you are refering to what i said about catching them on the float on 4 pound line then let me explain ,i wasnt fishing for barbel but chub on the float and they came as a shock when i hooked them as it was unexpected .I fish alot for barbel and use 8 to 10 pound line i find that fine for most fish unless in a snaggy swim.
Even then i dont go above 10 pound line if you cant get them out on that then your in trouble.[:)]

Chavender

Steve
the good old gudgeon is the hardest fighting fish ,they'll keep on battling all the way too the net ,size isn't everything but if it was just imagin the arm wenching battle you have with a 16lber

crusty

Come back when you've caught a salmon [:p]

(Thats the arrogance police jinxing my season then)

Ian

Philocalist

I know it says FRESH water fish, but if I can cheat a bit, I'd nominate the bass .. that nice seawater chappie often found in estuaries [:D] NOTHING I've experienced has ever exceeded the fight put up by these fish on lighter tackle. My biggest went just over six pounds, but even at half that size they punch well above their weight.
Otherwise, I vote for the barbel too, on sensible gear in running water ... I mean c'mon 12lb line??? I chuck that stuff into the north sea on occasion![:D]

Last edited:

wozelbeak

the good old Tench puts up a fair old scrap. it usualy does not have any current to work with either.

BoldBear

Chevender and Neil had it right, size for size a Gudgeon puts up a hell of a struggle for it's size.

Next would come the Barbel (when caught in its natural environment) and next the River Carp.

I have heard that the Salmon fights hard but with no knowledge if its surroundings I have heard that it just makes long straight runs whereas the Barbel will take off and head for known snags, undercuts, roots and weedbeds etc.

Last edited:

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Mullet and i dont mean the haircut. Hooked into a 5lb'er last year and the power was unbelievable. Fantastic fighting fish.

BAG UP

SINGLE RED
Originally posted by jacko the wacko

Originally posted by BAG UP

Hi mate if you are refering to what i said about catching them on the float on 4 pound line then let me explain ,i wasnt fishing for barbel but chub on the float and they came as a shock when i hooked them as it was unexpected .I fish alot for barbel and use 8 to 10 pound line i find that fine for most fish unless in a snaggy swim.
Even then i dont go above 10 pound line if you cant get them out on that then your in trouble.[:)]

No Jacko i wasn't refering to you at all .

flyfisher

A good debate started here by the sounds of it and glad too see so Many different opinions and in reply to sea bass salt water fish always seem to pull harder than fresh water and I'd say that mullet are harder fighters than bass especially when you hook them under a boat in the middle of padstow got a right audience but that's beside the point were after fresh water. I still hold by barbel although a grayling puts up a spirited fight. I would never wish too leave line in a fish but 8 lb line is enough for evev the bigger barbel it's just about matching your rod line and fish!

Russ G

Rusty
Originally posted by Chavender

the good old gudgeon is the hardest fighting fish ,they'll keep on battling all the way too the net ,size isn't everything but if it was just imagin the arm wenching battle you have with a 16lber
Gudgeon fight well for their size and some of the bites you get off them on the tip are similar to Carp method bites!
Mind you a Gudgeon is a mini version of the Barbel!

Paul_D

Another vote for the gonk in the water. Out of the water it has to be the grayling - they just will not stop wriggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.