Hard pellets 4mm

rayroy13

Please can anyone recommend a good make of 4mm hard pellet for use with a band on the pole?
I have ordered some 4.5mm skettings to use.
Thanks

Pole-Fisher-90

Site Supporter
Please can anyone recommend a good make of 4mm hard pellet for use with a band on the pole?
I have ordered some 4.5mm skettings to use.
Thanks

All pellets vary by how much fish meal is in them and you have skrettings or coppens pellets. I find dynamite seem to be the best for the band but again it can vary by bag depending on the batch, best picking a few bags up in the shop and seeing.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Gone over to Coppens, mainly because of ease of availability. I do prefer them in a band as they don't break down as quick as Skrettings. However I am disappointed in the way that some 4mm Coppens do float when lose fed.

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
I find some of the Coppens float as well. A quick dunk in water, quickly drain & they will all sink or squirt a bit of the flavoured oils you can buy, give them a good shake & that works as well

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
You've also got to think of the fishery itself, most of them now insist on the fishery pellet only rule.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I just use Coppens coarse pellets for carp and Skrettings for skimmers. Coppens make two main pellets, Coarse and Carp, the Coarse ones are the ones that take hours to break down, the Carp pellets are more like Skrettings. Some of the branded pellets, are just Skrettings in a brand bag, some have additional flavours added.

Fred Davis

If you watch the video's Jamie hughes tends in the main to prefer hard pellets for banding on the hook using banded pelletshis preffered choice is coppens as they have a very slow breakdown so are perfect for the hook, screttens have a much faster breakdown and go mushy quite quickly in comparison to coppens, coppens sink much faster because they are a denser pellet than screttens, however you have to think about your fishing if on the pellet wag you want your pellets to sink slower then screttens are the obvious choice they are a lighter less dense pellet, if you are having to wait some time between bites or are constantly casting feeding twitching feeding etc then a more robust pellet like coppens is better on a band, if you have a fishery with lots of skimmers and small fish but only want to target the carp on the deck then coppens which don't break down to a mush are the obvious choice so great for pole on the deck or bomb work, just apply a little thought to what you do when fishing and be prepared to change as required. If for example I think it's a pellet wag day I will feed mainly screttens with a handful of coppens in case I have to change onto the bomb as a starter and tailor my feed accordingly to how fish are responding same with hookbaits, although in the main I now opt for coppens due to their robustness.