Hard days fishing followed by hard decisions!

Gwillim

So yesterday went and had a day at Cefn Mably Lakes, with high air pressure, a cloudless sky and the sun shining bright at 9 in the morning I had a feeling it was going to be a tough day and I wasn't wrong! One of the only consolations (if you can call it that) was that it wasn't just me but other people were struggling to catch anywhere near consistently with patches of activity. Fishing pellet and corn on the pole either out in front at about 8m or down the margin under a tree produced silvers and a couple of small carp.
IMG_5102.jpg

Couldn't put anything consistent together, plenty of small roach to be had but the carp were just not having it (other methods for other anglers were not fairing any better) and by mid afternoon I decided to call it a day and head for home (which is really not me normally i'm a fish till you cant see the float type of guy). But what yesterday did tell me was that my days of sitting on a box with a long length or carbon tucked under my elbow are unfortunately done and its time to admit defeat and hang up my pole and go back to rod and line. Have been totally reluctant to give up pole fishing as it has been my main method for quite a number of years and have always really enjoyed it but the spondylitis in my spine, lower back and neck no longer allows me to sit with a pole for hours at a time without paying the price for it afterwards. Also noticing since my cancer that my strength and stamina are not what they were and my arm was actually aching from holding the pole.

Time to get a chair, accessories to go with it and start concentrating on feeder / ledger fishing me thinks.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Dont worry you weren't alone , went to Marsh Farm Harris lake at 1 pm. Did not get a bite until 5.45 when I got the first bite a crucian about 2.5 lbs then got 4 tench and another cru and packed up at 7.30pm , just glad to get out and to catch was a bonus.
I used a 17ft rod and a pin with a pole float under the tip. Easy to use and it sits in rests on my chair.

Gwillim

Yeah I have been putting off going over to a chair using the argument that I need my box to use my pole going from a 16m down to 14.5 down to 11m but the inevitable has arrived and the reality is that pole for me really is not practical anymore.

Looking to get the Korum X25 Deluxe Accessory chair, most of my octoplus stuff will transfer on to it so I wont have to buy all the accessories to go with it which is a bonus and might also invest in a decent shelter now that it wont get in the way of my pole lol

Gwillim

@Gwillim thats what I use and somewhere on here are pictures of it .
Yeah saw that thanks mate have looked at various set ups multiple times but have kept putting it off and saying I can manage with what I have but the pain I was in yesterday and today has meant I have to face up to the reality of the situation and that if I want to continue fishing then I need to change to using a chair :) its not the end of the world and my love of fishing far outweighs having to change tack and go back to rod and line, its how I started out after all and have many fond memories of standing in rivers with a bait apron trotting for dace, roach and chub, or sitting by lakes in winter on the tip or by BIG German and Danish rivers like the Weser with dustbin size feeders for the slabs or on the waggler on the Skerjn for big roach.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
G , l can still use my whips and pole useing the rollers . I also use my 8m whip elasticated with double 4 or double 5 and not always at full length. So l do what I can and think of ways to get past my defect body parts 😁, you don't have to fish 14m or 16m every time mate.

Gwillim

Yeah I was only fishing at 8m yesterday its the sitting on the box that does it as there's no back or neck support so afterwards I pay the price.
No doubt I will still use my pole at 4 or 5m possibly a bit longer if I get used to using it in a chair (and she who must be obeyed doesn't start on me lol as she is my full time carer as I have epilepsy as well so cant fish alone so fairly often she comes with) but I have a tendency to hunch forward when using the pole which is the posture that does me in lol so if I go over to the tip or float I will sit more upright and give myself less problems hopefully and it will afford me the opportunity to sit right back in the chair and actually use the support its designed to give :) (y)

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I must tell you that l often use a front rest and put the butt under my right hand arm rest on my thigh. You have to adjust the position of the chair to fish where you want though.

Gwillim

Have a fair amount of octoplus bits and pieces so could probably bodge up a bump bar etc if required but to be honest i'm actually looking forward to some relaxing tip fishing but it might involve having to get myself another tip rod (any excuse) lol as my hyperloop might not be meaty enough for some of the fish at the venue I fish :)

nejohn

Site Supporter
You are certainly not alone in having a bad day at Cefn Mably (which pool did you fish?) as it can certainly have its off days and when it does everyone seems to suffer. On the plus point when I fish it I don't often set up a pole and when I do I only usually fish at about 8m max, The waggler works well there and on the hard days waggler and sprayed maggot can often sort some fish out, the trick is avoiding the 20 million small roach, if you fish to the edge of your feed area I often find the larger roach and carp hang back a little

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I have back problems and I fish the pole up to about 10M without too many problems. I have Preston over under rests fixed to the chair legs on the right, so that when I am sitting my right hand reaches the pole. When I get a bite I just lift and the back "under" rest anchors the butt. Once the fish is hooked I have time to pick up the pole normally and play/land the fish.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Similar to what I do, l press down to hook the fish then use the rollers to roll back until the pole is in balence, then I pick it up.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I have the pole over my knee and just lift when I get a bite then ship back

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Two damaged knees so can't do that. It's bad enough to have the butt of a rod balenced on my upper thigh and a front rod rest. 😖

Gwillim

You are certainly not alone in having a bad day at Cefn Mably (which pool did you fish?) as it can certainly have its off days and when it does everyone seems to suffer. On the plus point when I fish it I don't often set up a pole and when I do I only usually fish at about 8m max, The waggler works well there and on the hard days waggler and sprayed maggot can often sort some fish out, the trick is avoiding the 20 million small roach, if you fish to the edge of your feed area I often find the larger roach and carp hang back a little
@nejohn wasn't disastrous by any means and as you say the small roach were always around to give me something to do if I really wanted to catch something lol but more than anything it highlighted sitting on a box is no longer something I can do, i'm sure the pole wont be completely forgotten but some time on the tip whilst getting used to using a chair and a new set up is on the cards and then im sure by the time spring comes around (arthritic hands don't do so well holding cold carbon) the pole will come back out :) if anything its more about me accepting that I cant still do what I used to :)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Two damaged knees so can't do that. It's bad enough to have the butt of a rod balenced on my upper thigh and a front rod rest. 😖
My knees are shot... 6 knee ops but I still manage