Handling Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
I need some advice took No 2 grandson to Aston Park on Tuesday just to get him some cr@ps before he went back to school so we fished Lanta and I put him on the point of the island as loosing floats was not part of the plan, anyway he caught from the off feeding maggot and pellet only small bits roach chubblets and orfe mainly but he won't touch the fish he grabs the line above the fish but backs off at actually touching them obviously the welfare of the fish comes first. He did do a good job of stopping a 6-7lb grass carp which he needed help landing but as it kicked in the net he nearly fell off the platform I thought that if he was catching regular he would get used to handling them has anybody got any ideas how to get him over this [:H]

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
I think he's more afraid of hurting them or the way they feel problem is he has never had a pet this could be something to do with it

the gaffer

When my lad first fished he was a bit like that,although he was a lot younger,i got him over it by asking him to hold a fish for a photo for his mum ,just get a carp or similar of medium size and get him to hold it near to the ground over your unhooking mat for safety,once my lad had held a couple for a photo he just forgot all about his dislike of holding them. may be worth a try mate.

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
unlucky he caught a grass carp mate, they go absolutely nuts when landed and on the bank, so im not suprised he got a battering from one.

methodgob

yoda
Got to admit, I didn't like it when I first started.Used to use a wet towel back before we knew any better.[:I]
Try landing every fish with the landing net and holding it to uhook via the mesh.
It means there's still a barrier between his hand and the fish and it gives some grip too.

The only other way is if catching roach to swing them into your chest and "slap" them with your free hand then wrap your hand round them.This way they usually stay still to be unhooked.

The only other way is to take him eel fishing and tell him he's not getting any tea/xmas pressies/birthday pressies/xbox games (delete as applicable[:D])until he's unhooked it![;)] Should be an expert at fish handling after that.[:T]

ClumsyBeginner

I took a couple of the lads i know from work fishing, one of them is 14 and he wont even play a fish if it feels bigger than a few ounces!

I also had to educate them on the importance of not using a towel to hold the fish, and on the proper way to hold a perch. One of the lads used sweetcorn all day just so he didnt stand a chance of hooking a perch!

Personally i started fishing when i was 13, and i never had this problem, fish where fun, perch could be tricky but far from scary!

The first big carp i cuaght whacked me stright in the face, the pictures are still up on facebook! :O

My advice is to keep him fishing, get him to have his first fish photos with the fish on a mat with his hands under/resting on top of the fish :)

Hope it all helps!

Last edited:

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
Thanks for all the advice he's going to keep on fishing there will be no wet towels I'l try the photo trick I know perch can be a bit daunting one got me the other day with its gill spines shown him how to swing small roach in and bring it to his chest or run his hand down until he has his hand round the fish think I'll just have to persevere for the foreseeable

Status
Not open for further replies.