Hand Sanitiser - Does it put fish off?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
My first session of the year yesterday, and having signed in and let myself through the gate to the ponds, I squeezed a blob of alcohol-based sanitiser onto my hands. It's become pretty automatic these days.

Fishing hemp & tares, it was slow going. Very slow going, just one tiny bob of the float in the first hour.
Pouring a cup of tea from the flask, I caught a whiff of the hand sanitser which lingered on my hands, which made me wonder whether this might be transferring to the bait and putting the fish off.
So I gathered a handful of mud from the the shallow margins next to my swim, and gave my hands a damn good 'clean'.

Over the next hour, I had half a dozen roach, then after three hours I was getting regular bites every put in.
That also coincided with the warmest part of the day , 1pm. and the bright sky now had a little cloud cover.

All coincidence?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
had the same sorta thing when I used to use a zippo (petrol) lighter on the bank

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I never put diesel in the day I go fishing ,and I’m paranoid about the fact that I smoke , I’ve got a lot of small atomiser bait sprays, I like to spray some on my fingers and rub that in ...I think scopex or tutti fruity is better than nicotine tainting the bait 🤷‍♂️

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Alcohol is used in some baits (whiskey,vodka) and as hand sanitizer is alcohol based, it shouldn't put the fish off, unless they are adding a scent to it.

NJ1875

Site Supporter
I think that’s a good point and not sure of the answer. It may well do though as some of the videos of Dickie Carr mixing his ground bait up he would put Vanilla on his hands so as not to put what he termed human smells on it.

corkycat

Alcohol is used in some baits (whiskey,vodka) and as hand sanitizer is alcohol based, it shouldn't put the fish off, unless they are adding a scent to it.
Back in the 80s I had a bottle of Pernod which had been in the cupboard for years, because I hate the stuff. So I started adding it to groundbait. Seemed to do the trick though I suspect the pong overwhelmed any alcohol that remained on the lake bed. Do they still do aniseed additives?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Do they still do aniseed additives?
Yep, Van Den Eynde do an aniseed additive. Use drop down menu, 2nd one down in the list.

If you want it in liquid form, again use drop-down...

Or if you want Aniseed Oil, here you go...

Deejay8

Site Supporter
You could always use a pair of disposable gloves to unlock the gates. That way you don't have to use sanitizer. It may or may not make a real difference, but it it means you have confidence that you aren't tainting your bait, then it's worth it.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I never put diesel in the day I go fishing ,and I’m paranoid about the fact that I smoke , I’ve got a lot of small atomiser bait sprays, I like to spray some on my fingers and rub that in ...I think scopex or tutti fruity is better than nicotine tainting the bait 🤷‍♂️
I dont know how.many times ive said this but any smell of human is not good , i worry to about my hook bait being a smoker . You will catch but i think you will catch more with a disguised smell. I try and hook my bait using the hand that doesnt hold a fag lol and dips and sprays have got to help in my opinion

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Never really thought about it to be honest, but now I have it makes a lot of sense. Although having seen stills and footage of some of the old legends, they always seemed to have a fag on most of the time.

I’ll be sure to get loads of banoffee bait booster on my hands as I’m mixing my pellets from now on. As an ex-smoker I can remember how much it makes your hands stink.

robert d

Site Supporter
Never really thought about it to be honest, but now I have it makes a lot of sense. Although having seen stills and footage of some of the old legends, they always seemed to have a fag on most of the time.

I’ll be sure to get loads of banoffee bait booster on my hands as I’m mixing my pellets from now on. As an ex-smoker I can remember how much it makes your hands stink.
Im going to try mixing with plastic gloves and also a mixer when i get one . I think a Salmon has 100000 times better smell than a human ,i dont know how they worked it out lol. Its worth a try , no washing chemicals and as little as possible human contact with bait 😉

drw

Site Supporter
interesting points here’s another people washing bait boxes in detergent or meat cutter in the dish washer can fish smell that ? Heard of anglers throwing a bar of soap in the opposition’s swim years ago on matches

squimp

Site Supporter
A guy I know allegedly ‘soaped’ the swims of a group of famous tench anglers many years ago.

It caused serious repercussions and I got caught in the crossfire.

robert d

Site Supporter
A guy I know allegedly ‘soaped’ the swims of a group of famous tench anglers many years ago.

It caused serious repercussions and I got caught in the crossfire.
Thats bad ,very bad 👎 dont like cheating ,sorry you got caught in crossfire

markyboy

I am also paranoid about human smells being an issue on bait but have also watched smokers drop fag ash in their groundbait, load it into a feeder and get a bite a chuck so not sure whether it does or doesn't make a difference really.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Most hand sanitiser is denatured to stop winos drinking the stuff, it could be the denaturing ingredient putting the fish off.

JayD

Worried about smoking while fishing? Just watch a video of the late Ivan Marks back in the day. In fact most of the anglers did back then, that's why we got sponsored by Embassy, and John Player. Sometimes it was hard to tell what was nicotine, and what was chrisodine dye off the maggots!

John.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
PS - the first roach of the year is always a pretty sight!

Pretty.jpg
What memories are made of - just a shame your hands are only 3" across - they really make it look big ! Actually I'm envious - looking forward to get up their again.