Hammerite products.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
I have been using Hammerite for various situations and have always found it to be an excellent paint but fairly expensive.
Other retail outlets are available.

It works out expensive when you also have to buy this to clean brushes etc.

Is there no alternative to this?
I know white spirit and a few brush-cleaners won't touch the stuff?
Any ideas?

p.s. The 2 outlets above sell a range of Hammerite paint products but neither sells the Brush Cleaner, I had to go to Wickes to find some.

PAB

Site Supporter
you can buy cellulose thinners online cheep enough. £13.50 for 5ltrs on flea bay.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
EmmaEmma
I tend to use the same brush over and over again, it gradually softens up as you use the paint.
Don't forget I'm a TAYG. :upthumb: :waving::)

dam

Account Locked
Hammerite is xylene based - which is a synthetic chemical, it should cost about 20 quid for a 5 ltr tin, go to a trade paint outlet or engineers merchants that sell red oxide primer paints, they will have it. I was a contractor for Akzo Nobel for many years and manufactures and installed a great deal of pipework in their various sites, Hammerite was made at Prudhoe not far from Newcastle.

ps I forgot to say don't leave your brushes in Xylene thinners any length of time it will just evaporate away and leave you with a thick paint jelly that goes rock hard. Wash them in it , then soapy water keep the used spirit ib a seale jar for use again the pain will settle to the bottom you can pour off the semi clean liquid into another jar for use again.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Is there no alternative to this?
I know white spirit and a few brush-cleaners won't touch the stuff?
Any ideas?

Pound shops, B&M, Home Bargins, Poundstretcher even Wilkos..... cheap pack of paint brushes and sling them when finished.

me

Either cellulose thinners or gum cleaner are perfect for washing hammerite products out.

You may want to think of using other metal paint products that are normal white spirits based. Hammerite isnt the best product on the market. Its living off it's old tradition of being the only true metal paint on the market and built a very strong name and reputation but since them days other paint manufacturers have brought out their own metal paints with are better than hammerite

spark1

Cheap brushes and you end up with bristles in the finished paint work.

I just pour some sunflower oil in a bag and put the brush in and tape the bag round the brush handle to keep air tight.

Just wipe the brush over when you need to use it, always works for me but I only leave the brush in the bags between coats then bin it when the task in hand is complete.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Either cellulose thinners or gum cleaner are perfect for washing hammerite products out.

You may want to think of using other metal paint products that are normal white spirits based. Hammerite isnt the best product on the market. Its living off it's old tradition of being the only true metal paint on the market and built a very strong name and reputation but since them days other paint manufacturers have brought out their own metal paints with are better than hammerite
Serious question, what do you think will do a better job than hammerite?

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter

Rustoleum is fantastic stuff, CooVar is another or you can really go overboard and buy the same stuff they use to paint the likes of oil rigs, tugboats and the forth bridge "International" ....bloody brilliant but sodding expensive ;)

me

sorry for the delay in the reply . Trog as hit my first option on the head with Rustoleum. It had a rust beater primer if you want added protection but the paint its self contains rust eater in it so theres no real need for the rust primer. The only negative with rustoleum is the colours. They only come in RAL colours so white isnt brilliant white and black isnt jet black .

A lot depends what you are painting to what products replace hammerite, but others are dulux metal, id even recommend standard oil based undercoat and gloss depending what you are painting.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Can you use Rustoleum with an electrostatic spray gun?

I've got a lot of railing to paint and a couple of big gates and the one thing that is putting me off is the time it takes to paint them conventionally.

me

Can you use Rustoleum with an electrostatic spray gun?

I've got a lot of railing to paint and a couple of big gates and the one thing that is putting me off is the time it takes to paint them conventionally.
It depends how much it as to be thinner down to go through the gun, If it as to be thinned to much it would effect the finish. We ususlly use brush or rad roller to do railing but have used the sheep skin w.ank mittens.

If it is just railings why not just use either satin wood (if you want flat finish) or traditional gloss (if you want shiney) both as suitable for metal and both have been used for years on miles and miles of railings all over the country or if you really want a metal paint metal shield as that can be sprayed

Last edited:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The finish needs to be black with a bit of a sheen, full gloss isn't a necessity, what is though is rust prevention as i don't want rust to break through

me

The finish needs to be black with a bit of a sheen, full gloss isn't a necessity, what is though is rust prevention as i don't want rust to break through
Rust comes through hammerite unless you use crust first
I've never had an issue with rust using undercoat and gloss but if you want to be more certain to hold the rust back with gloss then use a metal primer or rust beater to spot all the rust out first