Halkon Hunt or something else?

Sebbie

Site Supporter
I fished yesterday in the pouring rain. I primarily pole fish and so don’t use an umbrella, and use an old Barbour jacket and Preson Dri-fish B&B.

The jacket keeps me dry but is long and has lots of bulky zips and studs which always seem to be under my hands when I’m holding the pole and so is uncomfortable.

The Dri-Fish B&B is increasingly irritating me. Despite re-proofing it is no more than shower proof, and if I hold my landing net on my legs while unhooking the water goes straight through. The slightest sign of sun or warmth and I’m sweating like a b@stard underneath as it’s unlined and has the breathability of a bin-bag. My jeans are invariably soggy after a relatively short session due to sweat, and I’m usually in the Prince Andrew camp when it comes to perspiration ;)

I’ve resolved to buy a new fishing suit. I’ve seen a number of posts here where people have eulogised about Halkon Hunt clothing, but obviously this is not cheap (c.£450 for a pole jacket and B&B) and is the opposite end of the country from me and so to travel there for a fitting (wouldn’t trust myself to measure at home) is more £££s.

Is there an alternative off the peg that is waterproof but very breathable that the MD clan can recommend, or should I got the HH route?

Reuben

Site Supporter
There are quite a few threads on this subject. If you can afford it buy HH. If you want something that provides the same protection for a lot less money look at previous threads. Remember - Goretex fabric is exactly the same irrespective of the company that produces the garments.

lliopp

Site Supporter
Have a look at Ridgeline clothing, it’s a New Zealand based firm but available from quite a few hiking shops or online in the UK.I bought a smock a few years ago, it’s been great. Well designed, I think it’s aimed more for hunting, very quiet to move about in, waterproof, breathable various options and cheaper than HH.
I recently got into watching a farming program on the Telly, and quickly realized that half of them where wearing the stuff, and if it can withstand the abuse they were giving it a bit of fish slime is nothing.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Have a look at Ridgeline clothing, it’s a New Zealand based firm but available from quite a few hiking shops or online in the UK.I bought a smock a few years ago, it’s been great. Well designed, I think it’s aimed more for hunting, very quiet to move about in, waterproof, breathable various options and cheaper than HH.
I recently got into watching a farming program on the Telly, and quickly realized that half of them where wearing the stuff, and if it can withstand the abuse they were giving it a bit of fish slime is nothing.
I agree, it’s good stuff. I’ve one of their ‘Roar’ smocks but don’t find it that breathable whilst on the move. Probably OK for fishing though as you’re static mostly. Never used it for fishing.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Been through countless sets of branded supposed waterproofs over the years, the vast majority of which failed after a couple of years. The notable exception being Protak (Unfortunately no longer trading). Bit the bullet five years ago when I retired and moved up to Yorkshire and invested in a Halkon Hunt Pole Jacket and Bib & Brace.
Suffice to say I should have done it years ago and saved myself a small fortune long term. :upthumb:

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I don’t think there is anything to compare to HH for a bib and brace. I think waterproof jackets (I have Drennan and MAP) are easier to come by as the water runs off rather than pooling as it does on the trousers. H H is available from Wickersley Angling in various sizes and leg lengths next day delivery.
My most watched video on my YouTube channel is the one about HH bib and brace.

squimp

Site Supporter
I found a lightly used HH bib and brace last year and it is excellent.

I use goretex jackets bought from climbing shops to keep my top half dry. If you shop the sales you can get good stuff for not much over £100.

Bear in mind there are several different grades/types of goretex - so a cheaper jacket may use a lighter weight material.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Been through countless sets of branded supposed waterproofs over the years, the vast majority of which failed after a couple of years. The notable exception being Protak (Unfortunately no longer trading). Bit the bullet five years ago when I retired and moved up to Yorkshire and invested in a Halkon Hunt Pole Jacket and Bib & Brace.
Suffice to say I should have done it years ago and saved myself a small fortune long term. :upthumb:
Protak made the best value suits going, I went up to their house to get measured up, Gail and her husband were absolutely lovely, even sewed a fleece liner into the hood for me, all for £110,full suit, still got it now as a backup suit.

Reuben

Site Supporter
I found a lightly used HH bib and brace last year and it is excellent.

I use goretex jackets bought from climbing shops to keep my top half dry. If you shop the sales you can get good stuff for not much over £100.

Bear in mind there are several different grades/types of goretex - so a cheaper jacket may use a lighter weight material.
There are 3 types of Goretex fabric. 1, 2 & 3 layer. 1 is usually described as lightweight or Paclite & is the most breathable but least durable & is usually unlined. It is still 100% waterproof but needs reproofing more often. 2 layer is the most common & usually has a mesh lining. 3 layer in sometimes called heavyweight, or it is with military Goretex kit.
Totally agree with you that branded Goretex outdoor gear is just as good as fishing brands but mostly cheaper. I personally wouldn’t wear branded Goretex trousers as, in my opinion, it’s unnecessary to shell out that sort of brass for something that’s going to get covered in slime or groudbait. I buy Police or military surplus.
End of the day it’s the buyers choice. The made to measure element with HH or any other retailer is the only thing that’s different & very useful it is too if you’re not a standard size. Is that worth the price differential? Your money your decision.

Last edited:

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
There are 3 types of Goretex fabric. 1, 2 & 3 layer. 1 is usually described as lightweight or Paclite & is the most breathable but least durable & is usually unlined. It is still 100% waterproof but needs reproofing more often. 2 layer is the most common & usually has a mesh lining. 3 layer in sometimes called heavyweight, or it is with military Goretex kit.
Totally agree with you that branded Goretex outdoor gear is just as good as fishing brands but mostly cheaper. I personally wouldn’t wear branded Goretex trousers as, in my opinion, it’s unnecessary to shell out that sort of brass for something that’s going to get covered in slime or groudbait. I buy Police or military surplus.
End of the day it’s the buyers choice. The made to measure element with HH or any other retailer is the only thing that’s different & very useful it is too if you’re not a standard size. Is that worth the price differential? Your money your decision.
The thing with HH are the panels for sliding the pole across your knees, don’t get that on hiking or military trousers, it’s designed for fishing, legs to go over boots and the pole jacket is short enough not to get in the way. I have had mine 9 years, before that I had several other makes that didn’t last a season, so whilst HH is more to lay out, it’s good value long term- also the lifetime guarantee, if it ever leaks and hasn’t been mistreated, it gets replaced.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Completely get that HH are very expensive but it’s better to buy once right than buy twice wrong. I like others spent a lot on their HH clothing but it lasts for years and if it does get damaged they will repair it. If you look other manufacturers videos (Matrix, MAP, Drennan) their top consultant anglers do not wear the standard clothing that is on sale, they wear HH branded clothing.

Stanley

baggy

Mark Saunders
Back when I worked in a tackle shop they used to have custom clothing made by a company called Lean Grant. They might be worth a call - no idea if they are still going ?
Leon grant stopped trading reel elite are the closest company to them

floatfisher

Site Supporter
I used Protak for years till they stopped trading. I then bought the Daiwa Goretex Bib and Brace which is made by Halkon Hunt. I just got it from a tackle shop without the need to measure up and it's been spot on for a few years now and looks as if it'll go on for a long time yet. I don't care about the brand name on anything as long as it does the job.

Reuben

Site Supporter
So there you go, Sebbie, HH wins the day. Only £500 & cheap at twice the price. In all seriousness I’m sure it‘s great clothing. I mean, special panels to help your pole slide - that’s got to be worth a couple of hundred in itself 🤣. Enjoy your fishing buddy.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I bought my Halkon Hunt in installments, ie I bought the bib n brace 1st then a year or so later bought the pole jacket so didn't have the big outlay in one go. I must say it has been really good, very waterproof but more importantly for me it was also comfortable to wear which made a big difference to me. Unfortunately I also used to use it when I went on firing ranges with work.... Left it in the office when lockdown started last year thinking it would only be a week or 2.... Unfortunately the company got an outside contractor in to deep clean the office, any clothing not in lockers ended up in the skip, so now looking for some more waterproof clothing, the company have said they will replace any ppe that ended up in the skip from the arco catalogue 😭