Halfway through the fishing year, how's it been?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don't know about you guys but I consider my fishing year to start at the end of the previous river season. By that logic we're just over 6 months into the fishing year already so thought I'd see how people have got on in their year so far and what plans they have for the second half of the year?

So far it's been a pretty decent year for me. In terms of stillwaters I've had 4 sessions on my local fishery (in March, April, May and August) where I bagged up in roach each time with vary degrees of success on the perch. In terms of rivers I had a decent trout and grayling session on the Itchen in August, a couple really good days on mixed silvers on the the Waveney in September and I think 8 mixed species sessions on the Thames across June, July, August and September where the numbers of fish were down a bit on previous years but the quality was up with some really nice perch and bream in particular. I also had my annual Florida trip which fell in May this year which was fun fishing as usual.

In terms of plans going forward I'll probably have a couple more mixed species Thames sessions before winter hits and Ive got trips to the Warwickshire Avon and Wye in the pipeline in that time as well. When winter hits the focus on the Thames will likely change to chub and pike and I'd like to have another crack at the Hampshire Avon at some point.

Anyway enough of my waffle over to you guys, how have you got on and what's your plans going forward?

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
My season has been pretty decent so far. Most of our matches I've framed in and my best weight has been 181lb 2oz that was on paste. Had some good pleasure session mixed in with that. Think I'm happy with it ovarall. (y)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I hadn't done much fishing for years before this year aside from a few trips each summer to Tunnel Barn Farm and similar, so it's been good to get back into it.

I'd moved house the previous year and for some reason didn't even think about fishing, until I had to take some time off work and realised that I live in a pretty good area for fishing.

I've found some good venues near me, the Bream at Patshull where I managed the ton I expected out of there pleasure fishing. Had my first Barbel sessions which went way better than imagined. And of course I have the small river near my house for Chub which has thrown up a few surprises.

To be honest when I fish commercials I always catch a lot of fish. It's bread and butter. I'm basically looking forward to building my tackle up a bit again over Winter when I will fish less and work more and somehow, maybe join a club to fish some club matches again, something I hadn't done since I was a kid.

PBs so far this year; Carp, Barbel, Perch, Chub, Bream and Roach.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
this is the first year for ages that I havent worked a 7 day week in the summer, long story to that, so having time to spare, Ive been out a lot more in the warmer weather

and looking back, Ive gone downhill as far as warm weather anglings concerned, matchwise, been placed in the lower half of the table in near every outing, totally forgotten how to fish for the carp,

looking forward to the winter series starting end of oct, early nov,

Wise Owl

Account Locked
As always looking back should and Could have done more, but what ive done ive enjoyed (y)

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Not done a lot of fishing this year since the rivers opened on the 16th June but it starts to ramp up about now, best session so far has been a 13lb bag of silvers from the Tees

Winter time will see me out on the bank quite a bit (work permitting) chasing pike, if you include the Jan to June period this year then I did OK, best two fish out at 26lb 1oz and 25lb 10oz, another couple like that this winter and I;ll be well chuffed

HALTON DANGLER

tried barbel fishing last year for the first time and promised to do more this year and have done and also been the wye for the first time ever and loved it, cant wait to go back friday

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Really enjoyed myself so far even if it has been a bit 'hit and miss'. Fished in places I've never been to before (thanks to @sly, can't thank that man enough). Bailiff duties cuts my fishing time down but what time I've had has been fairly decent. As for going forward, well who knows what it's going to bring, but if it's the same as just gone then this will be one happy bunny.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Fishing more this season than I have for a few years, but limited to venues, which can become monotonous . Fishing has been quite poor, mainly due to high temperatures & lack of water (stillwaters) but also due to the fact I seem to be just going through the motions. A couple of lads from work (retired) come as well, one just started fishing this summer, so tend to spend a bit of time "assisting" ( the thread about novice anglers is them to a t). Roll on the floods so I can get on a river.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Zerkalos reference to PBs got me thinking think I’ve only had one definite one this year with the big perch I had a few weeks back. Possibly Bream and pike as well but not certain, have had a handful new species so guess they count as PBs. Have cleared 90 species now though so cracking 100 will be a target for the next year or so if opportunities arise maybe starting with a Zander this winter.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Been a bit of a non starter for me this year, I have had a lot of other comments both work and personal and also had a few minor disasters that have stopped my planned days, so only managed 1 day each on the Monnow and Wye then just grabbed a few short sessions on local Stillwater's or the Brecon and Mon canal... doesn't look like changing much in the near future so I am sort of writing this year off a bit...roll on next season for me

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Some of my PBs I never weighed but have a good rough estimate in my head. Lots of Bream pushing 6lb this year from three different venues. I don't think I'll eve beat my PB 9lb Tench.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah same not many of my PBs are really worthy of weighing but I’m quite an accurate estimater some how.

davylad

Site Supporter
It's been a bridesmaid year for me up to now, first out the money in too many matches. I've had a few 2nd and 3rds, but not won one yet, although I've been very consistent, with good silvers only weights around 30lb +. Only one bloke has really dominated, and to be honest if I was that desperate to win, I'd obviously follow him by fishing shallow with maggot, but that's not for me, after all it is all about enjoying what you're doing.

Gussyg

Site Supporter
My local club water has been fishing its tits off all year... happy days

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
Really enjoyed myself so far even if it has been a bit 'hit and miss'. Fished in places I've never been to before (thanks to @sly, can't thank that man enough). Bailiff duties cuts my fishing time down but what time I've had has been fairly decent. As for going forward, well who knows what it's going to bring, but if it's the same as just gone then this will be one happy bunny.
and apart from the times you have caught more than me it has been quite enjoyable :ROFLMAO: :upthumb: :upthumb:

Dusty

Really enjoying my fishing again this year after a few years of being disillusioned by it.
For the past few years I’ve been trying to be a bit more of a specimen angler, mainly fishing for larger tench, bream and barbel with very very limited success.

This year has saw me take a different path and take up match fishing, I’m not a massive fan of the monotony of catching loads of carp but I’m finding the challenges and preparation involved are right up my street.

I’ve had some very difficult days fishing during matches but come out with a decent weight and learned so much in the process.

I think this year has made me realise that I need a challenge in my fishing such as a match scenario, without an incentive I find it too easy to not bother going or pack up early.

On another note, I’ve recently managed to get both my mate and his lad into fishing, myself and my parents have given him basically a full setup and he is absolutely loving it.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I only really set myself aims for my Barbelling, the other forms of fishing I do are purely a bonus with no plan as such.
So last year my aim was to have sessions where I caught out numbering sessions where I blanked, which I achieved at around a 4 to 1 ratio. This seasons target is exactly the same, so I can eliminate the fluke aspect as being behind it if I do it again at that rate! Started ok on that front this year.

Carp attack

Think my fishing this year has been quite successful, I've tryd my best to learn the waters I match fish, I think have worked hard at my hard pellet fishing an now have total confidence that it will work on most places,