Hair Rigs

TonyA

Site Supporter
I enjoy tying my own hook lengths but I'm not the most fastidious of people. My question is, would a poorly tied hair rig result in fewer bites or fewer landed fish. That is, would the fish not take the bait or would the fish still take the bait but not get hooked?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I enjoy tying my own hook lengths but I'm not the most fastidious of people. My question is, would a poorly tied hair rig result in fewer bites or fewer landed fish. That is, would the fish not take the bait or would the fish still take the bait but not get hooked?

Depends on what you class as poorly tied. In what way? Do you have a pic to see what's wrong? The length of the hair can have an adverse effect.

Last edited:

TonyA

Site Supporter
Basically, the hair doesn't always sit nicely along the back of the hook and my bands are not tied very neatly. I still catch fish and, once hooked, I don't lose many.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you put a bait band onto some line and then tie a double overhand loop knot with the band in the loop. Before you pull the knot tight put a thick needle in it, add a bit of spit, pulĺ the knot so it tightens up to the band, remove the needle and pull the knot again to tighten it, youll end up with the band in a nice small loop.
(I use a Korum knot picker)

Then tie a knotless knot setting the band at the bend of the hook.
Once the knot is tightened the band should sit perfectly and any 4/6mm pellet should sit just at the end of the bend.

Edit: Drawing added

1568664302741.png

Last edited:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Basically, the hair doesn't always sit nicely along the back of the hook and my bands are not tied very neatly. I still catch fish and, once hooked, I don't lose many.

I have one of these. Fully adjustable so you can tie hair rigs quite easily. The wife uses it for all her hair rigs.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I am sure it could affect things, hair length as said, a band with limited freedom or tied poorly could affect presentation (Daves advice on how to secure the band but maintain its freedom is spot on imo and how I do them-cocktail stick for me). Little tip on that aspect too, is to pull on the tag end of the figure of 8 loop, rather than pull the loop/band/bayonet/spike when settling the knot, as that tends to result in a bigger loop than you need-critical if its a plain hair loop. Wetting the line before tucking down any knot-if the loop is tied poorly it will kink and cause the hair to creep around the bend/shape of the hook. Too thicker line, preventing natural movement of the bait.

You do see also about a hook, once tied having an 'aggressive angle', ok, but too aggressive and I think it takes away hooking potential and essentially masks the hook, especially on exaggerated in turned point hooks. So right hook for the job comes into play.

It's the business end of any rig/set up so crucial that its right. Tie all of my own and for others. I think back to when hair rigging first came popular and some of the ready mades and by some of the popular manufacturers always had me concerned about hair length- way too long for what they were intended for and when the range went. 18 on 5, 16 on 6, 14 on 7, 12 on 8. I felt that the larger hook sizes I needed weren't on strong enough line. Subsequently and until I started tieing my own, I was having to use too larger hook just to get the right breaking strain of line. I believe ranges are better now in that respect, but to get exactly what I want, I just do them.

Last edited:

TonyA

Site Supporter
Righto - more critical practice needed (not "that will do" )
I can't tie fig8 loops - I've practiced on string, no probs but on hair rigs, I make a mess of it. I'll do double overhands.
Thanks for all you help.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You don't need a fig8 as it will slip with mono anyway. The double overhand does the job well

Here's a quick drawing to add to my post above...

1568664275331.png

Total

Site Supporter
@TonyA .....'Reading between the lines' in your first couple of posts on this subject.....I'd respectfully suggest you ain't doing much wrong. (y)....Always room for improvement in what ever we do as anglers.....You're asking the right questions, and experimentation is key, but not to the extent you wind up driving yourself around the bend with "ifs and maybe's'......Do what works for you, in my experience, is always the way to go. ;)