Hair Rigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt

Site Supporter
hi guys, can anyone advise of a good way of tying a hair rig to a spade end hook for match sized carp? i have tried tying the hook, leaving a long tail and then tying a loop in the tail, but have found this to be very tricky, and the length of hair is often too long. can anyone please help??????:)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Matt,

Tie a loop in a 3inch length of line about 2lb BS and lay this along the shank of your hook, whipping it on as you tie your hook.
When you have done just prior to tightening your hook knot, pull the hair to shorten it to what ever length you need. Tighten your knot, trim all ends (except the looped end
) and then apply a little superglue or rig glue to the knot.

Regards, Dave

ray

matt, instead of tying a hair why not try the korma bait spikes, i have been trying them for a few weeks and have found them to be quite good.

if you take it with you...take it home.
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

matt

Site Supporter
thanks dave, that seems a much better way of doing it:)

MALC

Matt,

If the fish your after are above 3lb rather than stay with spade hooks try using eyed hooks with the knotless knot.

Personaly i use hair rigs for around 99% of Feeder/Ledger work and around 50% of Pole work when after Match Carp (which is most of the time).

I've found that with spade end hooks and some of the heavier Hi-Tech lines you will suffer with the line slightly moving causing the spade to cut through the line during the fight or the hair can twist and not come off the hook shank properly.

The hooks i use are Eyed Kamasam Animals and i bend the eye back about 10 degree's so the line runs straight down the back of the shank (if not bent the hook will hang at a bad angle) and tie the Knotless knot.

A small piece of clear pole float rubber slipped over the knot tidies it all up.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

matt

Site Supporter
hi malc, i've heard about the knotless knot, would you be able to advise me on how to tie it, or reccomend any magazines, books etc which show diagrams?
thanks mate, matt:)

scouse

'River Man'
hi matt
the best way to tie the knotless knot
put a overhand loop in your line
then thread the line through the top of the eye
whip it round the shank trapping the hair
then feed it back through the eye from the bottom
pull tight then attach main line by loop to loop
or water knot

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Matt,

Here's a diagram, hopefully it'll be clear enough as it is a bit rushed

Dave

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
And here is one that shows how to form a loop which can be used with bait bands, etc

Dave

watty

Matt this isn't a spade end hook but follow this link for advice on tying a hair rig http://www.coarsefish.com/Hairrig.htm

matt

Site Supporter
cheers watty, shrink tube - thats a good idea, sounds worth a try

AndyA

Thanks for the info Dave, got my spare hooks "hair rigged" and ready for Friday.

Edited by - AndyA on 25 August 2002 10:37:16 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.