Hair rig length

Steve88

Just tied/tyed this hair rig is the band too close to the hook?

I hear people talk about having it just below the bend of the hook, not sure if that's the pointy end bend or the other.

Attachments

• IMG_20200709_094923.jpg
    IMG_20200709_094923.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 62

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Personally, I'd put the band another quarter inch or so longer so the top of the band is level with the bottom of the hook shank, but that's my own preference, it depends on the size of the bait. Don't forget though that some anglers have the hook through the band so the hook is at the side of the pellet.

Steve88

I'm using 6mm pellets predominantly, suppose the best thing to do would be tie a few at different lengths and see which I like the most

Fartacus

Site Supporter
Yes it is a tad to close, what I do is put bait on the hair to start with to get a measurement then take the bait off,
I also put a bit of rubber tubing on the hook to keep it all lined up..

Steve88

I'm using this device, so setting the hair length with that. Is the below picture any better

Attachments

• 15942884185152186367655574792285.jpg
    15942884185152186367655574792285.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 43

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You need to know the reasons for using a hair in order to tie one. Basically it's for bait presentation and to aid hooking

If the hair is too short the bait will sit too close to the hook forcing the hook to sit at an angle and it could prevent the hook getting a decent hold, especially if using hard baits.
Also, the hair is supposed to allow the bait to move a bit more naturally, independent of the hook weight, however I'm not that convinced that makes much difference unless you are fishing big hooks and long hairs.

The length of the hair is normally set so the bend of the hook just touches the bait. This will allow a bit of movement but also the bait won't affect the hook when striking or lifting into a bite.

The above is for mainly coarse fishing, the science behind hair rigs for Carp and Specimen fishing is a topic in itself that will lead to numerous differences of opinion :)

Total

Site Supporter
To be fair you've done a tidy job in both photos above. (y)...The second one looks about right for said size of bait and gives you a good starting point....Experiment and enjoy...

rudd

Site Supporter
Just tied/tyed this hair rig is the band too close to the hook?

I hear people talk about having it just below the bend of the hook, not sure if that's the pointy end bend or the other.
Float or ledger method being used?

My experience with float methods pellet just touching bottom of bend.
Most bites on the drop as fish is swimming so you need quick contact.
To keep pellet in required place under hook, whip on more turns of knotless knot!

Ledger methods - a gap from bottom of hook to bait of between half the size to the size of pellets being used.
Fish on bottom stop / tilt/ take bait/ untilt / move. The longer gap gives allowance for the untilt stage resulting (or at least aiming) to hook fish in bottom lip.
I tie my method rigs with hair standing off half way down whippings, that combined with modern patterns such as QM 1 is deadly.

Silicon - a can of worms!!!
Dont seen the need for pellet waggler or method rigsdue to the way I tie, it serves no purpose.

It does serve a purpose on specimen rigs such as Terry Hearns claw rig?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I have found that the hair length can make a difference on some days. Thus I tie some with the bait just touching the bend, others with a good 10mm gap.

One of those mysteries of fishing that we can never fully explain but gives us something to try when things are not going well.

lp1886

I’d say the band is too close in the first photo, second photo looks better. I try and tie mine so it’s sits like this photo:

Attachments

• 4D718AA1-EE42-41C6-BD07-D52662FE5A4D.png
    4D718AA1-EE42-41C6-BD07-D52662FE5A4D.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 19

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Been just hooking the band a lot at the moment. More as an experiment than anything else. I can't actually say which is the more successful. I know good anglers who support both ways Hair and no Hair.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I find if i want a shorter hair i have the hair coming off the back of the shank after a couple of whippings, then carry on whipping down the hook, gives the effect of the bait close to the back of the hook, i find get very good hook up rate with this, must be harder for fish to eject without getting pricked.