hair rig length

Status
Not open for further replies.

evolution

evolution
using a 8mm pellet and size 14 hook could anyone tell me the best distance to have between the bend on the hook to the pellet[:T]

pole addict

It's all down to personal preference and what you have confidence in.

Personally I like the pellet just about touching the hook.

supersuperleeds

Shouldn't you have the pellet just below the hook? If you are using the knotless knot, I would put the pellet on the hair before you tie the hook and that way you will get it perfect

svenc

London Blanker NOT
Just like Steve, personal preference. If im fishing method than just about 2-3mm away if static baits then up to 1cm. Its what you feel confident in using really.

fish finder

callum
i like so the pellet is touchig the bend but to do this you have to put the pellet on first.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
2-3mm form the hook to the pellet is my favourite

tazz

2mm/3mm from the bend in hook works 4 me,try a small piece of shrink tube on the shank will keep hair rig straight 4 better presentation.[:T]

Fishnets

Carp have fairly big mouths so you can get away with all sorts of lengths, as mentioned have a try and find a length that makes you feel comfortable that you hook them well. Look to find a length that starts hooking them properly in the mouth and you find you just lift into fish much easier and get good hook holds. Try the round hooks, they seem to work so well. I whip the line a fair way down the hook to hang the bait under the hook with a gap between them, I find movement around the bait will make it waft around in the water making it easier to spot.

gazza1967

I usually have my hook around 5-10mm from the bait, whatever bait i use. Another tip i use is to use a black marker and colour in the hook but wait till its dry before using it, it takes away the glint if your in shallow water.

Andy Macfarlane

Originally posted by fish finder

i like so the pellet is touchig the bend but to do this you have to put the pellet on first.

Only the first time, so you can gauge how to tie the hair-rig. Once you got it tied, it's just a simple case of replacing the pellet.

Uncle Festa

aka worker1
I usually set the bait twice the width of the bait from the bend of the hook.
I usually whip the hair half way down the shank of the hook to keep it straight.

It changes on the bites and the water for me.

john83

Account Locked
depends, its always worth experimenting, a longer hair can bring you bites when a short hair wouldnt. especially on the feeder, try up to an inch.

Status
Not open for further replies.