Hair hook snapping

Matt123

Hi,

Ive experienced this a number of times recently with rigs bought from different locations (im pretty new to this hair rig malarkey), recently cost me a nice size carp.

The knot i tie to the rig is fine, but the pre tied hook seems to just come off after a fish or two or when unhooking the fish.

Any idea's? Doesnt seem like im doing much wrong but any advise would be great.

Cheers

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for his Village!
i would suggest learning to tie a hair rig and move away from expensive pre-tied rig - you dont anything fancy, just a basic knotless Knot hair rig.

Very good video that taught me how to do it a few years ago - well explained and easy to understand

Raven004

Site Supporter
Hi,

Ive experienced this a number of times recently with rigs bought from different locations (im pretty new to this hair rig malarkey), recently cost me a nice size carp.

The knot i tie to the rig is fine, but the pre tied hook seems to just come off after a fish or two or when unhooking the fish.

Any idea's? Doesnt seem like im doing much wrong but any advise would be great.

Cheers
it happens to the best of us, as stated above you are probably better tying your own, but these can also fail you, I lost a big cat last year from tying a quick lazy rig,

Matt123

Thanks, the video seems pretty straight forward, will give it a go with some bits in the box and pickup some bait stops for doing my own. Nice one

Matt123

it happens to the best of us, as stated above you are probably better tying your own, but these can also fail you, I lost a big cat last year from tying a quick lazy rig,
Strange thing it happened on small fish aswell, just came off as i was unhooking. Suppose if i tie my own cant blame anyone else ?

DomCrtr1975

Thanks, the video seems pretty straight forward, will give it a go with some bits in the box and pickup some bait stops for doing my own. Nice one
if you haven't got bait stops at the mo, a piece of grass will do, or a small piece of spaghetti will do for now

MartinWY

Site Supporter
I am a complete novice at tying these things as I only started learning last week. I guess I've done about 50 so far, with many failures. I've sometimes had a problem with the line around the shank staying tight once the knot is complete, it will just start to space out and I think its due to the springyness of the line. Its very hard to see but if left, I think it would eventually unravel enough to go over itself and slide upwards, putting pressure on the line right by the eye, possibly creating a weak spot.

To solve my particular issue, with the knot moistened, I used some fine silicon shrink tube whilst applying gentle pressure to both ends over a boiled kettle spout. It seems to hold everything in place and I had quite a decent fish on one of my self tied rigs the other day, so I guess it was "tested".

Another thing I'd be tempted to try but haven't yet, is a dab of superglue on the shank. Not sure how durable that would be.

Where abouts is it snapping, are you left with a little spiral pig tail or a clean break? I can't really be of any help, but as a fellow newbie at rig tying, it would be useful to know so I can look out for it happening with mine.

Cheers

Last edited:

2ts

Site Supporter
Some landing nets can damage hair rigs if the mesh is too wide.

CarpCatcher86

Learn to tie your own rigs and stay away from braid, even the coated stuff. Contary to popular belief and as strong as braid is, even the coated stuff lacks the abrasion resistence of mono or fluorocarbon. It might be strong for it's diameter but you can't beat a good fluoro hooklink.
I've lost many good fish thanks to braided hooklinks where fluoro wouldn't have let me down.

Matt123

thanks for all the replies, it seems to just unravel off from what i remember. I am picked up some stops but wont have chance to give it a go before tomorrows fishing, will have to go for the premade ones and hope for the best

DomCrtr1975

I am a complete novice at tying these things as I only started learning last week. I guess I've done about 50 so far, with many failures. I've sometimes had a problem with the line around the shank staying tight once the knot is complete, it will just start to space out and I think its due to the springyness of the line. Its very hard to see but if left, I think it would eventually unravel enough to go over itself and slide upwards, putting pressure on the line right by the eye, possibly creating a weak spot.

To solve my particular issue, with the knot moistened, I used some fine silicon shrink tube whilst applying gentle pressure to both ends over a boiled kettle spout. It seems to hold everything in place and I had quite a decent fish on one of my self tied rigs the other day, so I guess it was "tested".

Another thing I'd be tempted to try but haven't yet, is a dab of superglue on the shank. Not sure how durable that would be.

Where abouts is it snapping, are you left with a little spiral pig tail or a clean break? I can't really be of any help, but as a fellow newbie at rig tying, it would be useful to know so I can look out for it happening with mine.

Cheers

One solution to this is to tie the knotless knot with an extra turn back up over the knot before passing it through the eye

1592405704934.png

To lock the wraps in place. THe above image is taken from the Kryston Knot page

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I always tie the knotless knot with 8 or 10 turns down the shank, then 2 or 3 back up before I pass it through the eye again.
But I never thought of putting a bait on to get the hair length right. You learn something new..... as they say. (y)

abbo27

This happened to me a lot when I first got back into fishing. I had a chat with a bloke in a tackle shop and he identified the problem. I was unhooking using forceps which damaged the line. Once I moved to a plastic disgorger or my fingers, the problem disappeared.

richox12

This happened to me a lot when I first got back into fishing. I had a chat with a bloke in a tackle shop and he identified the problem. I was unhooking using forceps which damaged the line. Once I moved to a plastic disgorger or my fingers, the problem disappeared.

Good point. Because the way it's tied with or without 'x' number of wraps back down the shank to the eye is not really going to be the prevention/cause of the line breaking/snapping at the eye (No-Knots do). The hook is not simply coming off but the line being broken right at the eye - multiple times.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
If you're using forceps to remove the hook, cover the line wraps with heat-shrink tubing when you've done tying them.

Gaz9243

A good point for those just starting off, always wrap away from the opening of the hook eye where it meets the shank.