Guy Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I follow his page on facebook, it's his official page (it's got the blue tick to show he's proven it is him) and he's posted this message (well one of his "staff" have.

Message from Guy.

"Ive had my head down for a few weeks, because I didnt want the world knowing I spannered myself, but it turns out the world already knew. I also wanted to make sure that anything you heard was straight from the horses mouth.

"Ive had over 100 cards wishing me well. I really appreciate them, I read them all and I think theyre mega. So thanks for them.

"I dont remember anything about the crash after headbutting the ground, but the Dainese and AGV stuff I was racing in was bloody brilliant. The leathers were cut off me, but there werent many scuffs on them. I headbutted the ground at 130mph, then skidded into a dirt field and catapulted off a few things. The impact I hit the ground with was massive. I was knocked out, but its a credit to that helmet that I didnt suffer any damage other than a badly bloodshot eye. There are no rubbish helmets any more really, but I wouldnt have wanted to be wearing anything other than my AGV.

"Ive broken some vertebrae, but Ive got to say the Dainese back protector did its job. It has a honeycomb aluminium core that was crushed by the impact, which is whats supposed to happen, and its making funny noise if you flex it, but I crashed on Thursday night, I was operated on Friday afternoon and walking Saturday morning. I was in the shed the following Thursday. That back protector genuinely saved my bloody life.

"I might have come around at the trackside, because the marshals told people I was spouting the usual gibberish. I properly woke up in hospital. Then it was all the usual questions, Where are you sore? Does this hurt? I was in Belfast Royal and Ive never been more impressed by a hospital than I was by that place, all the staff were great. I broke five vertebrae, but they bolted six together, from T4 to T10, because two are unstable, meaning theres a chance they could move and damage my spinal column. They had to rod my spine because I broke my sternum too. Normally the front will hold the back together or the back will hold the front, but I had broken both front and back. My sternum is cracked straight down the middle, but thats only cartilage so they dont do anything to try repair it. I broke five ribs and two metacarpals in right hand, too, and my hands been plated.

"Ive been back at work a while, but Im struggling with everything. Sharon, my other-half, thought I was an idiot for trying to go back to work so soon, but Id spent nearly a week at home, and I had to do something. Now she admits that me going to work has moved me on loads, mentally and physically. Theres no better physio than working on trucks and I know when Im doing too much, Im not planning to do anything that puts the recovery back.

"The surgeon had to move my shoulder blade muscles to get the metalwork in, then fasten them all on again. Thats whats causing the most bother, the muscle not the broken bones. A lot of my work involves having my hands above my head, in the pit working on a truck above me, but Im alright as long as I dont overdo it. If it gets too much Moody or Belty give me a hand and Im getting stronger everyday.

"Having a few days off work gave me time to think about what I want to do, and realise all things that have had to go on hold. I still want to race, but Im not going to rush into deciding what or where Im going to race.

"So thanks again for all the best wishes and all the messages. Cheers."
Guy

Bit different to a footballer..."i's felledid over a blade of grass, really hurt myself and i got a bad oopsie [:C] got to take 6 months of to get better"

shang

Part of me hopes he won't race again because that was a big off and he must've used up most of his 9 lives. I don't want the next news report to be of him permacrocked or dead .... but another part of me wants him to win at the TT or else he'll never be content.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
totally agree Shang, i think it is his desire to win the TT that makes him push himself each time and he won't rest till he's done it [:(]

mickmac

These guys are something else,to keep getting back on a bike after a massive crash must take some b@lls.

swingtip

Trogg thank you so much for sharing that information. As I am sure you will agree he is an absolute legend. I not only admire him for his bike racing skills but his total enthusiasm for everything he does. His positive attitude , curiosity and work ethic are something to aspire to. He reminds me of a modern day Fred Dibnah as far as his engineering skills go. However I don't suppose he'd be happy with a series Landy unless it was a v8 and boosted! I also hope in one way he doesn't race again but it is his life, it is him, and it is his passion. So so pleased he is recovering well. Top geezer!

pat 1948

22/09/13 - 17/03/18
In Memoriam
I never knew that he'd been in a prang, bloody dangerous things these push bikes of today,[:D].

Guy's never been one for sitting back and whinging, and you must admire him for his get up and go, but to be back working within a few days of coming out of hospital and all that 'ironwork' too, he's some man!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by swingtip

He reminds me of a modern day Fred Dibnah as far as his engineering skills go. However I don't suppose he'd be happy with a series Landy unless it was a v8 and boosted!

I totally agree, i've said myself that he is a younger version of Fred, don't let his love of speed fool you though mate.....he has rebuilt old narrow boats, steam engines (both stationary and traction)along with all sorts of other stuff and don't forget, he did that trawl through India on an old Royal Enfield!

Could you imagine if they had commisioned a program with Fred and Guy then got them to fix up a couple of traction engines between them.... now that would have been something worth watching!

Got to admit though that i'd love a go of his 67 volvo [;)]

daniel121

Account Closed
Originally posted by mickmac

These guys are something else,to keep getting back on a bike after a massive crash must take some b@lls.

There's three ways you can look at it mick;

1 your way
2 the "shows selfishness way"
3 shows stupidity way.

Me I think the real answer is a combination of the 3.

It's hard not to admire him, but I'd have too much respect for my loved ones to risk it all again. [:)]

Last edited by a moderator:

swingtip

That Volvo is really quick and stylish. Floor pan glass so you can see the road go by....can't remember the spec Trogg but I bet a shilling you can?

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by swingtip

That Volvo is really quick and stylish. Floor pan glass so you can see the road go by....can't remember the spec Trogg but I bet a shilling you can?

me, know about fast/custom cars...nah [;)]

Volvo-Vox-guy-martin-graphic.png

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
annnnddddddd.........[:D][:D][:D]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djguAxWPQJA[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.