Guru size 10 shot

PP123

I’ve just bought some guru size 10 shot, having being impressed with the size 8, but it looks tiny! It seems to be half the size of the other 10 shot I have.

Photo attached: guru 10 on the left. Waterline 10 in the middle. PI slip shot 10 on the right. Guru 8 at the top.

Has anyone noticed this?

Do you think it’s a smaller size put in the wrong box?

Attachments

• 32005CAF-8354-4F3A-B94E-80ECF1D7317A.jpeg
    32005CAF-8354-4F3A-B94E-80ECF1D7317A.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 39

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
The only way to know for sure is to either weigh them, should be 0.04 or set 10 on a float of 0.4g and see sets it correctly

richox12

The only way to know for sure is to either weigh them, should be 0.04 or set 10 on a float of 0.4g and see sets it correctly

The problems are though that there is no std size/weight for lead shot. A No 10 might be 0.02g in one make and 0.03g in another. And then the 0.4g float might not actually be 0.4g.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
The problems are though that there is no std size/weight for lead shot. A No 10 might be 0.02g in one make and 0.03g in another. And then the 0.4g float might not actually be 0.4g.

God help anyone new to shotting pole rigs............then again we have all been through it.

JLK

If you put some guru number 9s between the 8s and 10s they look fine, but I agree with you. I thought they looked smaller the first time I used them.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
@Ahhhh @Tinca Steve so that's how it's done. :LOL:

Joking apart, if you buy a size 9 shoe you expect it to fit, the same with 175 65 R14 tyres you would expect them to fit rims designed to take that size.
In a world of exacting standards it can throw anyone new to tying rigs that what it says on the float may not match what shot you put on it and/or the shot being an exact specification irrespective of manufacturer.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
@Ahhhh @Tinca Steve so that's how it's done. :LOL:

Joking apart, if you buy a size 9 shoe you expect it to fit, the same with 175 65 R14 tyres you would expect them to fit rims designed to take that size.
In a world of exacting standards it can throw anyone new to tying rigs that what it says on the float may not match what shot you put on it and/or the shot being an exact specification irrespective of manufacturer.
Just asking have you ever tipped a pot of shot into a dish to make it easy ? Amazingly there is a range of sizes in each pot. Visually you can see some are smaller than others.
If you could guarantee that adding all the supposedly correct weights of the shot worked perfectly for the stated requirements of any float that would be great but alas it don't work out that way does it. Hence the use of trimming shot.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
I normally use Ballabeni shot which can be a little on the hard side.
just gone over to the Guru shot which is a lot softer it is manufactured by ZLT and is pure lead.
I’ve used Preston shot and found it inconsistent get a manufacturer you get on with and stick with it.

JohnL

Looking at the previous answers these all make sense. The difference in sizes of the shot may be down to the lead being alloyed. If pure lead these will probably be smaller than a shot that is made with a lead alloy. Pure lead is a lot denser but very soft, an alloy with perhaps copper or tin added will be less dense but will have better material properties (less likely to damage line, not ping off, etc.). Probably be cheaper as well.

The real answer is use a manufacturer you like, shot floats at home, keep a record.

Paul.P

Is not 2 no 10's same as a no 8 ?, I always thought so, & if so see if that weighs the same ?